View Poll Results: Which is the best era of Smallville?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seasons 1-3

52 37.14%
  • Seasons 4-7

18 12.86%
  • Seasons 8-10

70 50.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Supsfan View Post
    What exactly is your definition of filler? I would argue that the first 3 seasons was chalk full of filler. Let's be honest here any FOTW plot is the pure definition of "filler". I personally never get the "filler" as an insult argument since it can be argued going by most peoples definitions of filler that every season was full of filler. It also implies that "filler" is a bad thing, when many times a nice simple story is much more entertaining then a convoluted plot trying to create "drama".

I would actually argue that Season 1 was the most filler filled season of the series(not that it's a bad thing since I rate Season 1 my second favorite season) when you weed out anything that doesn't really lead to bigger storylines. I should note that my favorite season is another one people complain has to much "filler" season 4 to which I argue how is it any worse then Season 3 in terms of filler. S3 had the Luthor vs Luthor storyline in the B and C plotlines so I am guessing that is the excuse people will use why it's not "filler" but the A plots of many Season 3 episode where pure filler. The same thing with S4, the B and C plotlines focused alot on the Stones in most episodes, while the A plots were more fillerish so how does that make one season to much filler and the other one not?
    If you want to get technical, perhaps they have just as much filler going by a certain definition. Here is a better way for me to put it-the filler episodes were fine, fun, and better because it was a new show and everything hadn't been done already. In other words, you could do a fun episode that wasn't connected and it was ok because it had not been seen before. By year 4, and onward really, while there would always be that half a year or so with the less important episodes, there was always something familiar that was derivative of something older. This is simply a symptom of a long-running show that is forced to do self contained plots in the episodes instead of getting to serialize. So basically I guess there was filler but I thought it was superior filler, it was the filling that made for a good show in those days. You could also say I liked the filler as well in seasons 4,7, and 8. But somewhat less so.

However, that being said, the so called filler from earlier did usually involve important character stuff for the main cast by way of the guest stars being used to explore that. There was always some lesson being learned or someone growing in some capacity that could pay off later. I think maybe there was more of that earlier.

The problem with the B episodes for me in years 5 and 6 was a dark and disrespectful tone that I thought Steve DeKnight brought to everything. The problem with years 9 and 10 for me as a whole was boredom. I like shows where characters grow and change, and it seemed like mostly everything was running in place-Clark was already pretty heroic, he loved Lois, she was a good person-where is the interest by this point? I know it was basically just like Superman except not but I guess I was burned out on the show's original promised premise seeming more dragged out than fulfilled.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by clavinbot View Post
    However, that being said, the so called filler from earlier did usually involve important character stuff for the main cast by way of the guest stars being used to explore that. There was always some lesson being learned or someone growing in some capacity that could pay off later. I think maybe there was more of that earlier.
    Well let's look at episodes 2-20 of Season 1 and what Clark learned in the A plot

2. Metamorphosis - pure filler
    3. Hothead - pure filler
    4. X-ray - Major point - well Clark learns X-ray vision so that is 1
    5. Cool - pure filler
    6. Hourglass - Minor Point - I guess people will point to we get to see Clark's Future, but telling us how Clark's future will pan out in the future was a common complaint in later seasons, but I guess in Season 1 when somebody tells us how wonderful Clark will be it's a major episode. Simple fact is the show could have easily survived without this episode and nothing would be different. It should also be pointed out the real A plot was the guy who fell into a pond and wanted to wage revenge on all those who caused him trouble, that plot was pure filler.
    7. Craving -pure filler, unless you believe this episode was a lesson on excess dieting
    8. Jitters - Minor Point - We learn a bit about Lex through the A plot
    9. Rogue - Minor Point - I guess one can argue Clark learns a lesson about how corrupt the real world can be
    10. Shimmer - pure filler
    11. Hug - Minor Point - Clark learns a lesson about friendships
    12. Leech - Major Point - Clark learns that his powers can get to ones head so
    13. Kinetic - pure filler(of all the pure filler episodes this is the closest to minor point since it did sort of give us insite on Whitney but since he wasn't a major character during the series I leave it as filler)
    14. Zero - Minor Point - gives us some past on Lex, all all the ones I rate minor point this one is the only one that is borderline major point
    15. Nicodemus - pure filler
    16. Stray - Minor Point - we meet a character who Clark learns a lesson in a later episode, no real major lessons this one. If one argues that this episode isn't filler then counter argument is Run, Krypto, Ageless, Fragile and Subterranean(and I may even add later season episodes like Warrior and Scion to the list) are all not filler either since the plots are somewhat similar and one can easily pull out some lesson learned in those
    17. Reaper - pure filler
    18. Drone - pure filler
    19. Crush - Minor Point - A-plot is filler but it does set up Tempest Date between Chloe and Clark
    20. Obscura - pure filler

So basically of 21 episodes in Season 1

2 are key storypoints(Pilot and Tempest)
    2 I think show us big lessons(X-Ray and Leech)
    7 I think you can find some lesson or major plotpoint if you try looking hard enough(and I do think in the 7 episodes I rated minor point you can make an arguement why it was filler for all of them except Zero)
    10 episodes that the A plot was complete filler no matter how you try and spin it

So basically when it comes down to it, if I was making a list of key viewing if you want to see the progression of Clark, there would be 4 episodes(6(add Jitter and Zero) if somebody is a Lex fan) from Season 1 I would include in the must see to get an idea what's going on as an overview of Clark's progression. You can probably even get rid of Leech as key viewing but it was the only episode that I think it was easy to see some major lesson in life for Clark all season.

The problem with the B episodes for me in years 5 and 6 was a dark and disrespectful tone that I thought Steve DeKnight brought to everything.
    I would argue Dark and disrespectful started in Season 3 before Deknight showed up but that season seems to get a free pass by many because it was probably the best Lex season(which i argue it wasn't the strongest Clark season). I do think Season 5 took the tone of Season 3 and went to even worse lengths. As for Season 6, it wasn't as much dark as it was a terrible soap opera at times.
    Last edited by Supsfan; 01-12-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way but different tastes for different people. I liked the soap in 6, that to me is a good thing. 3 is a bit overrated maybe, I didn't love it when I first saw it I will admit. But a lot of these are opinions after many re-viewings, I find it changes opinion over time to watch in different circumstances.

I think you are missing the point in your need to slam the early stuff though. If a show puts its characters in situations that it hasn't before, and we get to see a new interesting configuration, that is what entertainment is all about. It was entertaining because since the entire show was a new concept, it was fun to see them do whatever with whatever guest star. After a few years of that though it gets old and it's better to go somewhere. So it may have been "filler" in the grand scheme of things, but it was ok because it was fresh and new. That's all I'm saying, it has entertainment value and good memories associated with it. Maybe other stuff feels better to you, and I am not disputing if you want to call it filler, but what I am saying is to me, and to many others, the filler is more entertaining when you haven't seen it all done before season after season already. Those first two years for me and my family and friends it was pure joy to watch the show every week, and those first two years only, because there were doing their darndest to make every episode unique and something new. I will agree it did start to slip the 3rd year, but I liked the tone better than later-it was not disrespectful to the morals of the show, Jonathan was still strong, and the morality of the characters who had it was still intact. In year 4 they started with weak and pointless Jonathan, pointless sex added to the show, and of course Lex becoming more evil, although that was inevitable.

Custom Title
    I think you are missing the point in your need to slam the early stuff though. If a show puts its characters in situations that it hasn't before, and we get to see a new interesting configuration, that is what entertainment is all about
    In my eyes an entertaining premise is an entertaining premise though. I don't care if it's done in S1 or S10. I think it's sort of unfair to say well this premise is great if it's done in Season 1, but if it's done in Season 5 or 10 then it's not as good. I generally rate an episode on the basis of how entertained was I after 42 minutes no matter what season it's in. Whether the episode was filmed in S1 or 5 or 10 makes 0 difference to me. As I said Season 1 is my second favorite season but I can call a spade a spade(or in this case filler a filler) so when I see "filler" being used as an argument why later seasons aren't as good I just point out the problem in that comment(since early seasons were just as filler filled or even worse then later seasons). I really don't see myself as "slamming" Season 1, I am just giving my opinion of how much an episode is or isn't a "filler"(and I don't think filler is a bad thing unlike most it seems). What it basically comes down to is let's take a episode premise like Hug, I believe I could enjoy that like it was done in Season 1, if they took that plot and had it in Season 10(while I am guessing alot of people would complain if an episode like Hug was done in Season 10, that it's "filler").

It probably helps(or hurts) that I generally never was a fan of the bigger storylines the show created and generally judge episodes on a per episode basis(not how it adds to the bigger storyline) so how much an episode adds to the bigger picture factors little how I rate episode(infact many times it seems like the more it adds to the bigger storyline the higher chance it will be on my worst of list. lol).
    Last edited by Supsfan; 01-12-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Well, I did like the big storylines and I also appreciate good individual episodes. One repeat viewings I have tended to enjoy a lot of them more than the first time, aside from those middle years. Later on for me the whole stories were boring so that takes it all down for me.

What I liked earlier was just the overall concept and uniqueness. Yes a lot of watching anything has to do with circumstances and what your world was like for you when you were watching it. I am the first to stand out from the crowd in opinion on many other things-Smallville is one of the only shows I watched as it aired from the beginning so it seems to be one of the only times how I feel about something tends to line up with many of the fans. Another reason i think, why I watched at all even, is because this was a story where the ending was ostensibly known. That was the appeal for me, guessing how it would lead to Superman more or less. So I did give it a harder time than it deserved, many did-after just a few years it became hard to juggle all those expectations for everybody. But that is just from the perspective of when a lot of us were already writing the story in our head-I was much less experienced with TV shows then, now I would probably view the whole thing much differently if I even watched it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Livstevi21 View Post
    Hmm, that is a difficult question...difficult to choose my favorite era...I think it would either have to be 1-3 or 8-10 for me.
    I think that if we could combine some of the elements of seasons 8-10 with anothers from season 1-3, we would have the perfect seasons. As it is, though, even though I voted 8-10, it is neck and neck with 1-3 for me.

Settling In
    The first 3 seasons were so good, we watched for another 7 seasons faithfully. That says it all.

I was just thinking just a moment ago, what woud you name the eras? IMO:

1-4 I would name "The High School Era" for obvious reasons

5-7 I would name "The Fortress Era" because it started with the fortress being built and then the fortress being taken down (I know we see the fortress later but I thought it was a good beginning and end for that era)

8-10 I would name either "The Blur Era" since Clark as the Blur was a big focus.

Season 1 & 2

In terms of tone ie the tone that set the series as more Clark Kent's journey towards becoming a hero, that honour rightly belongs to S1-3 ie the high school years. Was that era the best written of the 10 seasons? Not by a long shot, esp. S1-2 with few exceptions. I think the writing started to hit its stride S3 and after.

S4 could be grouped with the "high school years", but I've felt that this season was where Clark took a detour destiny-wise, when faced with the leviathan that was the Jason Teague/Jasana/search for witchy stones plot line. It was a show-within-a-show. That being said, there was a gradual improvement in writing that year.

S5-7 was when Clark's destiny -finally- became more focused. It was a bumpy journey, but at least we knew that Clark and Lex's destinies would inevitably collide at roughly the same time. S5 had Clark catch-up and make repairs to his lagging destiny. S6, despite the unavoidable focus on the Clark/Lex/Lana triangle -really, the only one that mattered story-wise, was arguably the best of the S1-7 (Gough/Millar era) IMO. S7 wrapped up Lex's storyline as well as it could, but it seemed rushed.

S8-10 was almost like another series (different producers took the helm), as the story lines more resembled what you might expect in a TV show about the Clark Kent we're more familiar with: the reporter, his relationship with Lois Lane and his impending destiny. Dare I call it "the fanboy/girl era" of SV? Or the "practically Superman" or the "post-Lex" era? It's not a knock, just an acknowledgement that fans of Superman mostly got what they wanted to see: supervillains, the Justice League, Clark becoming Superman (brief glimpse that it was, but oh well). And the writing was as good as could be expected with a series going on 10 seasons.

To simplify: S1-3 set the tone, S4-7 (with a few hiccups) set Clark and Lex on their collision course and soap/shipper wise was shamelessly the most enjoyable and S8-10 set the stage for the Clark we're most familiar with and his claiming his destiny finally.

4-7, definitely. Holy jeans, boggles me that 8-10 beats them all...

But Lois won the day! KristinIsAwesome's Avatar
    8-10 was alright, but... i DID NOT expect it to win. There were so many bad plot points. Like the entire Davis Bloom thing. Just a lot of not great going on there. Even though I agree with some, that the Lois and Clarkness became a great thing, I'd still have to say 4-7 had some of the best revelations. the Lex and Clark dynamic just got to amazing to pass up.

Forum Regular
    I would probably have to say Seasons 1-3 but that's not really saying much.

It's a tie between Seasons 1-3 and Seasons 4-7 for me. The first three seasons were amazing, and the next four seasons, while not as good as the first three overall, managed to keep me coming back and kept me wondering how and when Clark would make the leap from Clark Kent to Superman. Plus, I love the relationships between various characters, like Clark/Lex, Clark/Pete, Clark/Chloe, Clark/his parents, Lex/Lionel, Clark/Lionel and Martha/Lionel, and their evolutions through the first seven seasons. Seasons 8-10 caused me to lose interest in the show, and I actually started to hate it at the end. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Seasons 8-10 never happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fallen Sky View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't mind if Seasons 8-10 never happened.
    I would say at least in these season it seems like Clark was moving forward, I could have lived without Seasons 5-7 where it just felt like Clark's progress was remaining stagnant or moving backwards in many cases

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast