Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who #6.7 "A Good Man Goes To War" (Mid-Season Finale)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally got to watch the episode at midnight on BBC America after my brother stole the TV at 9 to watch this NBC movie about with a football story. Even though there were spoilers everywhere about River Song being Amy's daughter (I even guessed that she was after the first episode of the series and that she was the one in the spacesuit. Take that mom!), the end made me cry my eyes out for about a half an hour. Overall this was a great episode even though I think it was kind of cheesy to bring the Judoon, a Sontaran nurse, and the Silurians into the mix. It kind of reminded me of the last series finale with all of the doctor's enemies coming together but this time on the Doctor's side.
    Last edited by momo6995; 06-11-2011, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Here's something I don't understand:

If the baby Melody was a flesh double anyway, why did the headless monks bother attacking? What were they fighting for?

Comment

Originally posted by quinny06
        Here's something I don't understand:

If the baby Melody was a flesh double anyway, why did the headless monks bother attacking? What were they fighting for?
        To kill the doctor? Is that not the reason why theyve taken melody in,the first place

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, but they've taken Melody so they could finally have something powerful enough to maybe stop him. What's the point if you're just going to have a go yourself anyway?

Comment

I think it was because of the whole trap thing. The Doctor, Amy, and Rory didn't bother leaving because they thought they had won peacefully and that they had the real Melody. The headless monks attacked because the whole point was to trick the Doctor into thinking he had won and attack when when he was standing still.

Comment

I was shocked and amazed at this episode. I loved that Amy named her daughter, Melody. It is a pretty name. But then the shock came when Melody just disintegrated inside of Amy's arms. Is that like when big grown-up Rose and baby Rose were in the same reality? The doctor told big grown-up Rose, " Don't touch the baby!" You can't have the same person from two dimensions in the same dimension? Or what?
              The amazement comes to learn that River Song is Amy's daughter ( Melody). I loved the way River explained it to her (Amy). It put Amy at ease. It put me at ease - somewhat.
              But I still don't get who River Song is to the Doctor? I mean, if you recall when Doctor (David Tennant) asked River that very same question. I still want to know. Perhaps in the next half of series 6 they will explain?

Comment

Originally posted by MsNoelle
                I was shocked and amazed at this episode. I loved that Amy named her daughter, Melody. It is a pretty name. But then the shock came when Melody just disintegrated inside of Amy's arms. Is that like when big grown-up Rose and baby Rose were in the same reality? The doctor told big grown-up Rose, " Don't touch the baby!" You can't have the same person from two dimensions in the same dimension? Or what?
                The amazement comes to learn that River Song is Amy's daughter ( Melody). I loved the way River explained it to her (Amy). It put Amy at ease. It put me at ease - somewhat.
                But I still don't get who River Song is to the Doctor? I mean, if you recall when Doctor (David Tennant) asked River that very same question. I still want to know. Perhaps in the next half of series 6 they will explain?
                At some stage, between Amy giving birth and Rory apparently rescuing her, baby Melody was swapped for a Flesh copy. The copy disintegrated like Flesh Amy when the link to the real Melody was cut. Nothing to do with "Don't touch the baby!" in Father's Day (a warning that only applied to the creation of a time-paradox that would strerngthen the Reapers and allow them to break into the church - in that specific case, a time-paradox piled upon a time-paradox, because Rose has already gone back in time to the same point on multiple occasions in order to save Pete).

As for still leaving questions about who River is to the Doctor, that was quite deliberate on Steven Moffat's part. When asked about the reveal of River's identity, he has often qualified his comments by saying that one part or one layer of that identity is being revealed. It was made the mid-season cliffhanger specifically because revealing that River is Amy and Rory's daughter, apparently part-Time Lord and is the little girl from The Impossible Astronaut raises many more questions than it answers. It's a cliffhanger, it's meant to leave you with questions about what happens next. The second half of the season is where we should get most of the answers (assuming Steven Moffat doesn't plan to roll parts of the story over into the next series).
                Last edited by newbaggy; 06-13-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Currently doing a re-watch of seasons 1-6. They just mentioned the moon landings in blink...sweet.

Comment

^ "A lot more happened in 1969 than anyone remembers."

Comment

Can't Wait To See What Happens Next!

I thought the whole episode was awesome and that they did a great job of the ending. It was genuinely creepy when the baby turned out to be a ganger like that. It was also creepy when Amy screamed while holding it like that. I was wondering why she was doing that in the commercial. Then, when they showed her doing it in the episode, it was even sadder and creepier than what I could've imagined.

Love the title for the episode coming up. I definitely cannot wait to see what happens next and also how he could possibly avoid his death from The Impossible Astronaut.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                        It was genuinely creepy when the baby turned out to be a ganger like that.
                        It was indeed creepy, and slightly disturbing. Of all the silly things Doctor Who has been criticised for over the last few years, this one seemed to slip by unnoticed. It really is a horrible sight for a child to just melt in her mother's arms. A very chilling moment from Mr Moffat.

Btw, great username.

Comment

Originally posted by quinny06
                          It was indeed creepy, and slightly disturbing. Of all the silly things Doctor Who has been criticised for over the last few years, this one seemed to slip by unnoticed. It really is a horrible sight for a child to just melt in her mother's arms. A very chilling moment from Mr Moffat.

Btw, great username.
                          Thanks I like your picture too.

I love all of Doctor Who ever since I used to watch it on PBS. I think David is my favorite Doctor but Matt Smith certainly won me over in a short amount of time.

I had a blast watching A Good Man Goes To War and was so disappointed that I had to wait until August to see what happened next.

I cracked up so much when he said "I speak baby!" It also reminded me that at one point, The Doctor was a father AND grandfather.

Comment

I've re watched that episode almost as much as Eleventh Hour, liked it loads too, but did anyone else find a lot of River Song's dialogue to be a little...I dunno bombastic and out of place? "Well then solider how goes the day" Sounded like she was well, reading off a speech. And that story where she said she was just ice skating with some other instance of the Doctor was a bit irritating for me because it once again threw up more technical questions about River and the Doctor's relationship, and what sort of order they meet in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekken Force
                              And that story where she said she was just ice skating with some other instance of the Doctor was a bit irritating for me because it once again threw up more technical questions about River and the Doctor's relationship, and what sort of order they meet in.
                              Well I can't say I didn't like the Stevie Wonder story, because it was pretty funny. As for the timeline of River/Doctor meetings, I like to think that its mostly back-to-front, with certain occasions when they're closer to the same point in their relationship. So a bit jumbled really.

Comment

I love how their relationship is jumbled like you said quinny06. Everytime they meet up it makes me wonder just how much of a past they have this time, especially River. Not only that, but Alex Kingston is the perfect actress for that role. I loved her on ER when she was on there and felt she deserved a bigger part than she already had.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎