No announcement yet.

Season 6 review

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 6 review

I've been readin a bunch of other people's reviews and I just felt like getting my own out there.

From the trailer, this season had a lot of promise. I was expecting all sorts of things, mainly dealing with monsters and not more angel business. When the first episode of the season premiered it was pretty dull but had a lot of promise. I could tell GAmble and co. were trying to show us how much things have changed. I feel as though the first few episodes were devoted to getting the show back to normal which was good.

My first complaint with the season was the Campbells. I was excited to see them and learn more about Mary's side of the family, but I was HIGHLY disappointed at how much they made us hate the characters. I understand this is the Sam and Dean show but they really dropped the ball on this one. They never really fleshed out the characters or made us care about them and then poof, they all got axed off like it was nothing. Christian and Gwen had potential. I would have loved to Samuel and the two team up with Sam, Dean and Bobby as opposed to them just gettin plucked off the way they did. They made Samuel so hated and I really wanted to like him. I was hoping he would have had a chance at redemption later on, but nope. He was killed. A pretty lame kill at that.

I loved how we were learning more about monsters and where they came from....in the very few episodes they were mentioned in. We only got to see 2 Alphas this season which bothered me because they were so hyped up and the whole monster war thing was brought to our attention, and then they just forgot all about it in the beginning of the season. We were told this season would be about the monsters, when in reality it was more about the Civil War in Heaven.

Speaking of which, I wasn't against the Civil War idea. It made sense. It was hinted at from "Swan Song". It just sucks that the more interesting monster plot was killed off in favor of more angel plotlines. I wasn't a big fan of Balthazar, although his "awkward" line in "My Heart Goes On" was hilarious. He went from have a mysterious menacing persona to becoming the new Gabriel, which didn't sit too well with me because I would've preferred Gabriel. We really could have done without the Angelic Weapons because, well they didn't do much. Castiel said if he had all the weapons he'd win the war. Well, he finally got them in "The French Mistake" and just let Raphael go. I was confused with that. And we only got to see two weapons, the staff and Lot's Salt. Really didn't do much for me.

Now for Soulless Sam. Great idea. I loved it. Although I feel like it would have been better to keep it going on a little longer than what it did. The whole wall thing afterwards was an okay touch, but after all that hype about how his memories could kill him it sucks to see him still bodied and able in the finale. I'm really gonna miss "Caged Heat" Sam. He was badass all around in that episode.

The season had a lot of really decent episodes, and in my opinion it had a real season 2 feel (with a mixture of season 5 only because of the angels) which was good. There were a lot of deaths this time around, and one that bothered me was Rufus. Why didn't Castiel just bring him back? And another question that I have is how it was NEVER explained why the monsters were acting the way they were. It had been hinted at that monsters were acting out of wack for the past year but it was NEVER explained or mentioned again. I was really looking forward to finding out what was going on. Now I just feel like it was either a plotline they forgot or something they just threw in to keep us tuned in. But my BIGGEST complaint this season was with Eve.

It was spoiled that we were finally going to meet our new big bad for the season and she was anything but that. I was so excited for her and to learn more about her but we didn't really find out too much. She was a character with SOOOOOO much potential. Given how the whole season was supposedly about monsters why not have the Mother of All Monsters center stage? Sadly, she never proved to be much menacing until "Mommy Dearest". A great episode which showcased just how dangerous she could be and I would have loved for her to go after Crowley, but no, anotehr plotline killed off that had so much potential. And it sucks that with Eve along went the monster plot.

But I guess that just proves that the season wasn't necessarily too much about the monsters but more so the Civil War in Heaven. While I was hoping this story was going to be in the background and used as an excuse to keep Cas away, well it wasn't. It was well done how they connected everything together because I was under the impression that the Purgatory mess and the Civil War crap was completely separate. It was nice to see Castiel doing questionable methods, but it bothers me how they tried to make it look like this was something bad. Since Cas first was introduced he was all about killing and doing questionable things, like Anna and killing Jesse. But I guess all that went away when he became more human after dealing with the Winchesters. It just bothered me how they ignored all that stuff he did before and all of a sudden his methods are questionable.

The season build up things nicely though as things were coming to a head, like Purgatory, Sam's wall and Castiel fate. I'm just not a big fan of the end result. Everyone was afraid of the door to Purgatory getting cracked open and something frightening coming out, but nothing happened. The first time it opened was the Doctor and the second time was Eve. This time, nothing. I was hoping for some really vicious crap to come flying through. A big let down in my opinion as I was expecting more which they definitely could have done. And ending it with Castiel getting all of the souls and declaring himself the new God? Uh, yeah, not really my cup of tea although it is a very nice twist. But they REALLY could have just kept Eve as the villain in my opinion. She was plucked off way too easy.

All in all, the season was a rollercoaster for me. It was like a "eh....oh its getting good....eh nevermind....oh **** "Caged Heat"....eh....its getting good again" kind of feeling. But I definitely enjoyed the season and the direction Sera's leading the show. I trust she's got something big for the next season. I can't wait.

I honestly didn't consider "Caged Heat" that great of an episode, lol. But, I get most of your complaints. I think if they knew they were getting a seventh season from the beginning, they could have fleshed out everything a little bit more than just putting everything within a 22-episode frame.

Comment

I agree with pretty much everything you said. One thing I would like to add is that the guest star list this season was extremely weak. The recurring characters like Samuel and Crowley were great, but the rest were just awful. They couldn't act their way out of a paper bag.

This season was definitely the weakest to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter
        I agree with pretty much everything you said. One thing I would like to add is that the guest star list this season was extremely weak. The recurring characters like Samuel and Crowley were great, but the rest were just awful. They couldn't act their way out of a paper bag.

This season was definitely the weakest to date.
        Agreed. I used to think that season 1 was the worst, but season 6 has done a lot of damage.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎