Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lana Lang...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

They do walk to their own drummer, don't they!

Comment

Well, there are a bunch of viewers that don't read the comics and just like Smallville. I'm one of them, I don't care if they had deviated from the comics. Things like Johnathan Kent dying and Lana & Clark not ending together are things I think Smallville could have deviated from the comics and be a better show. Like it or not in Smallville Lana is a huge part of the mythology, her character is much deeper and well thought than Lois'. She is one of the stronger images of the show since day one, the little orphan that sees her parents killed in front of her by the meteor shower that brings Clark to earth. Its so obvious they linked the two characters in so many ways since the beginning. All the Lex development that is nonexistent in the comics was to further the importance of Lana in the Smallville mythology. The supersuit was Lana trying to not be a distraction/weakness to Clark, the exact same problem Lois is confronting now. Lex Luthor breaking up Clark & Lana are one of the major events. I don't understand how people can say they hate her character and undermine her importance other than out of fear or an agenda to keep the comic book story and Lois in its place. Relax, Lois ends up with Clark. I just think its absurd to pretend Lana is not a HUGE part of Clark and that she deserves her fate given all the story. All the animosity against Lana makes me feel I've been watching a different show from the Lana haters.

Comment

I don't get the Lana hate either...I loved the character on Smallville and lets face it...no one is perfect...not Lois and not Clark...but Lana did the best with what she was dealt with...I still think if Clark would have trusted her from the beginning...which was all on Clark...then they could have walked away from each other better friends and Lana a normal gal. JMHO. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon-EL
          Like it or not in Smallville Lana is a huge part of the mythology, her character is much deeper and well thought than Lois'.
          I don't think the character of Lana was that deep in later seasons, they just kept throwing her into crazy plotline after crazy plotline because well she is Lana and needs something to do

The supersuit was Lana trying to not be a distraction/weakness to Clark
          The main problem with the supersuit and this goes beyond Lana, is Clark Kent should be "the hero" of the show, the producers seem to think building up other characters as heroes somehow is good writing but it only undermines the guy who is the hero of the story. Another problem of Lana supersuit storyline is there was absolutely nothing building up to her being a hero in the first 7 Seasons(ie out of left field)

Given Smallville show canon Lana is the strongest person in the world and I think that is just plan dumb

Lex Luthor breaking up Clark & Lana are one of the major events.
          Lex didn't break them up though, he just put then in a tough situation where if they tried to fix it they could have overcame the problem. As I pointed out above the writers were hellbent to have this "tragic" ending they overlooked the fact that in all reality the 2 characters in question of this tough situation either come across lazy or stupid to figure out nothing is tragic about the scenario

Originally posted by Caught_In_The_Sun
          I don't get the Lana hate either.
          Lana was a character that to often was only used in stupid melodramatic plotlines that added absolutely nothing to the show and many times came off ridiculous and made Clark look bad in the process. Hope that gives you an idea.
          Last edited by Supsfan; 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FanoftheMan
            Stephen King (in one of his books) called that sense you get... where something is just on the tip of your tongue.... it's right there but you just can't quite grasp it.... he called this the Dead Zone.

There were these tricks that one of his characters would use to try to and unleash the words he was searching for... to do a "round-a-bout" sort of method to reach it... because the direct mental connection was severed.

Trying.... to... get there....

almost.......

What's a Lana?
            One of the funniest posts ever

Comment

That I agree to,if they could have parted friends,but it couldn't happen because of
              Clark's obsession with her. In my opinion he really looked weak,and how could he ever be
              a Superman when he breathe and obsessed every day.

Comment

For me it was disgraceful how they mentioned Lana..but I can understand how some would like it...for me I didnt!!

Comment

Originally posted by hhhandsteph
                  For me it was disgraceful how they mentioned Lana..but I can understand how some would like it...for me I didnt!!

I feel you actually.

Comment

As some others pointed out already, the problem with Lana character in Smallville was she made Clark look bad and weak most of the time. There was almost nothing that helped Clark to become Superman. In fact the very opposite was true. Smallville is a show about Clark becoming Superman.

Would you have believed if he had been wearing the Superman suit in the episode after requiem? That crawling boy who just earlier tried to first kill Lex then himself with kryptonite? Man of Steel?

Comment

Originally posted by Superboogie
                      Would you have believed if he had been wearing the Superman suit in the episode after requiem? That crawling boy who just earlier tried to first kill Lex then himself with kryptonite? Man of Steel?

I find it more hard to believe that Lana became a hero after that. I think stealing that power suit made her look extremely weak and foolish.

Comment

How is Lana the blame for Clark's insecurities and everything else that is on Clark???

This has me baffled.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                        I find it more hard to believe that Lana became a hero after that. I think stealing that power suit made her look extremely weak and foolish.
                        It made her human. I have no problems with this.
                        Last edited by Caught_In_The_Sun; 05-07-2011, 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Superboogie
                          As some others pointed out already, the problem with Lana character in Smallville was she made Clark look bad and weak most of the time. There was almost nothing that helped Clark to become Superman. In fact the very opposite was true. Smallville is a show about Clark becoming Superman.

Although I can't vouch for the entirety of Lana's stay on the show (everyone is written badly after a certain point) you have to believe that Smallville's version of events suggests that Clark wouldn't be able to love Lois like he does unless he had gone through loving Lana like he did. So, despite their best intentions, yes...them going through that car crash of a relationship did help him on his journey to becoming Superman because...(and this is being generous of me to assume there was any point to this last episode)...if the lesson of this week's episode was anything it is that Superman cannot do what he does without the touch of humanity that Lois gives him. At least, that's what I took from this show anyway.

But I'm a little tired of how they worked up this soap opera ending to give yet another predictable headnod to how Lois "is not like Lana" in next week's Finale (you know it's coming). If they wanted to mention Lana on the show again like everyone else, it should have either been Kreuk making a cameo or be done with it. We've already established Clark and Lois is the real deal a million times, we didn't need Lois breaking completely out of character as a cliffhanger.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught_In_The_Sun
                            How is Lana the blame for Clark's insecurities and everything else that is on Clark???

This has me baffled.
                            The writers basically felt like going the teenage angst route with Clark, and Lana was the character more often then not used as the character for Clark to play off of in those plots.

Basically it felt like it was a case in order to make Lana relevant they had to put Clark in plots I rather not watch, which made her character expendable for people like myself. More so then a Lana issue, it was an issue with TPTB that think that teenage angst and melodrama was entertaining TV. Lana gets the blame because her character is the one they constantly shoved into those plots with no other real purpose on the show beyond those storylines.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                              The writers basically felt like going the teenage angst route with Clark, and Lana was the character more often then not used as the character for Clark to play off of in those plots.

Basically it felt like it was a case in order to make Lana relevant they had to put Clark in plots I rather not watch, which made her character expendable for people like myself. More so then a Lana issue, it was an issue with TPTB that think that teenage angst and melodrama was entertaining TV. Lana gets the blame because her character is the one they constantly shoved into those plots with no other real purpose on the show beyond those storylines.
                              As far as the writers and TPTB...they whole soap opera aspect of having secrets and torturing the characters over such a trite thing is ridiculous. They should have built stories around the characters rather than using them to create garbage no one cares about.

Comment

Originally posted by BackToTheLies
                                But I'm a little tired of how they worked up this soap opera ending to give yet another predictable headnod to how Lois "is not like Lana" in next week's Finale (you know it's coming).
                                I think that's just an interpretation made by some people on this forum. I didn't see them comparing Lois to Lana at all. Toyman just tried to get a "jealous" reaction from Lois since she denied that she was engaged to The Blur and that Clark and The Blur was the same person. I mean, he didn't get anything but a laugh out of Lois with the mention of Lana, only when he said that Clark was in danger she tried to react.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎