Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Prophecy?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, they finally got almost everyone from the main cast through the years to experience super powers! Lois got them in this episode and I think only Tess and Martha Kent are the only two only never experienced super human abilities. I loved the Legion of Doom scene, too bad Clark and his league didn't have a moment to tussle with them. Instead of another Clark and Lois heartbreaking moment to ending this episode, it should've ended with Darkseid standing over Watchtower, looking down at the city with a sinister smile.

Comment

• Odd choice for a penultimate episode. On a side note, this was the last of four episodes, to not have scenes set in the titular town.

The episode revolves around Lois getting Clark's powers for a day. She's had powers before, but then she was a vessel for a witch, a Kryptonian or an ancient Egyptian goddess. This time, she is in the driver's seat. Strangely enough, she doesn't put on a costume, to conceal her identity. She's thrown on costumes in a minute in the past. Like when she ran around as Stilleto. Instead she goes an confront the Toyman, without a disguise and using her powers infront of him. The conclusion of the plot is that Lois decides, that she can't marry Clark. A choice undone in the next episode, so why bother? Given that, this plot doesn't lead to anything. She only has Kryptonian powers for a few hours and then looses them.

I like that they have Clark wear the glasses, whenever he's out among people (apart from when he and Lois are alone in her office and when he's at Watchtower).

The episode introduces the villain team Marionette Ventures. Which might seem like a weird introduction, in the penultimate episode (especially when it doesn't concern the plot of the series finale). After all, it's something that the show will never resolve (though, it was resolved in the S11 comic). However, I don't think the show has to resolve it. The finale saw the conclusion of the show. Of Clark's journey towards becoming Superman. It doesn't mean the end of everything. Just the end of this chapter in the life of Clark Kent. Supervillains wouldn't magically disappear, after Clark defeated Darkseid. So, by showing the Marionette Ventures, they establish that there will still be threats, that Clark and the other superheroes will have to deal with, after Darkseid. Also, it's Marionette Ventures (an original group), not the Legion of Doom (despite many viewers calling them that), Injustice League, etc.. It's not a major DC concept, introduced in the last five minutes of the show, but something you could easily imagine falling apart. I like that this group contained never before seen characters like Solomon Grundy, Black Manta and Captain Cold. After all, this is supposed to be a shared universe. Clark isn't the only superhero in the world. It's easy to imagine those three being villains that Black Canary, Aquaman and Impulse have encountered on their own adventures.

Thought Kara was handled badly, not just in this episode, but in both of her S10 appearances. They got Laura back for two episodes, where she seemingly became Supergirl, before Clark offically becomes Superman. Then she suddenly have to go into the future, without saying goodbye to Clark. I don't mind the idea of her being sent into the future. However, instead of using her like they did, in these two episodes, they should've done a two-parter to wrap up her character. The two-parter could've ended with Clark and Kara being sent a few years into the future (perhaps 2018), for some reason. They encounter Lois, who was expecting them (as we'd be dealing with pre-destination in the case) and gives Clark the means to get back to 2011. However, she informs him that only he can go back (maybe it only has enough power for one), while Kara has to remain in the future, but insures Clark that arrangements have been made for her. Clark and Kara says their goodbyes and he returns to the present. To perfectly wrap everything up, the episode's final scene could have Kara meet with the 2018 Clark, at her new apartment (giving us some details about her new life). He presents her with a package, which she opens and we see a House of El symbol reflected in her eyes (like with Clark in the S9 finale).

That's how I would've done the conclusion to her story. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 and the writers had to live in the real world of actor availability. Maybe Laura wasn't available (think she was still doing V at that time), for anything more complex than Supergirl and her scenes in this episode.
      Last edited by jon-el87; 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎