No announcement yet.

Phantom Zone time flow inconsistency

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Zone time flow inconsistency

I'm surprised I forgot to bring this up before, but in this episode there was an inconsistency that wasn't in other episodes with the Phantom Zone.

When Clark got out, Lois told him that 3 weeks passed by since he left. Clark said that it felt like a matter of minutes or hours (I forget which) for him.

If the same flow of time in the Phantom Zone was applied in Zod, Clark would have returned weeks after the earthquake Zod caused with the octagonal hard drive/Brainiac's power source. Yet he returned the morning following Dark Thursday as if time was flowing the same in the Phantom Zone as it was on Earth.

In Bloodline, Clark remained in the Phantom Zone after Lois left for about as long as Lois was in it when she & Clark were together. Yet when Clark got out with Kara, they returned on the same night that Lois as Faora was causing all that chaos. If the flow of time was the same as it was in this episode, Clark would have returned about a week later.

So the flow of time in the Phantom Zone in this episode definitely wasn't the same as it was before. I know in the past when Clark found Raya in the Phantom Zone in Zod, it seemed like time didn't even flow in there since she was the same age she was when Jor-El placed her in it. Or perhaps it did flow with respect to other places like Earth but the Phantom Zone had no aging effects on its inhabitants. But this episode definitely contradicts the passage of time in the Phantom Zone vs. the passage of time for those not in the Phantom Zone.

I believe the reasoning was due to the crystal being smashed somehow caused a time anomaly.

In all reality just a cheap excuse to show Lois waiting 3 weeks.

Comment

^^

yeah they cheesed that one with the crystal shattering.

Comment

Yeah, it had something to do with destroying the crystal, but it still doesn't make sense. I saw it as a way of making sure Lois's extremity was justified. If Clark had made it out within the three hours, her pulling the gun would come off worse than it already did because it would be completely unnecessary. By making Clark actually need that extra time, everyone's more willing to accept that Lois did the right and necessary thing.

Comment

LOL! My first thought when you said "extremity" was ... why would they have to justify Lois' legs wearing Clark's plaid shirt? Sorry ... it's an insomniac night for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
            I believe the reasoning was due to the crystal being smashed somehow caused a time anomaly.

This.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
              Yeah, it had something to do with destroying the crystal, but it still doesn't make sense. I saw it as a way of making sure Lois's extremity was justified. If Clark had made it out within the three hours, her pulling the gun would come off worse than it already did because it would be completely unnecessary. By making Clark actually need that extra time, everyone's more willing to accept that Lois did the right and necessary thing.
              I agree. How would destroying a crystal that was in the gateway House of El crest pedastal change the flow of time? I don't care anymore since pretty much all explanations we get these days are half-assed.

I still think the gun-pulling was totally unnecessary & horrible drama that was done just to have drama. Which is what happens when episodes plots are developed based on the inclusion of characters rather than having the characters be used on an as-needed basis only. Rather than have Tess-Lois scenes while Clark was in the Zone, it would have been wiser to have Lionel scenes or Tess-Emil scenes to further the gold-k plot.

Comment

Keep in mind that we don't actually know how time in the Zone works. It was one of Raya's first remarks when Clark asks how she could have been an assisten of Jor-El's.

Or back then it was meant as "you don't age at all in here", who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan

Exactly.

Comment

Its SMALLVILLE. Thats all the explanation we need

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                      I agree. How would destroying a crystal that was in the gateway House of El crest pedastal change the flow of time? I don't care anymore since pretty much all explanations we get these days are half-assed.

I still think the gun-pulling was totally unnecessary & horrible drama that was done just to have drama. Which is what happens when episodes plots are developed based on the inclusion of characters rather than having the characters be used on an as-needed basis only. Rather than have Tess-Lois scenes while Clark was in the Zone, it would have been wiser to have Lionel scenes or Tess-Emil scenes to further the gold-k plot.

Clark did say when returning to Lois that destroying the console crystal probably cause the time delay.

You're right. The whole Lois-Tess thing was totally stupid. Having Tess destroy Clark's PZ crystal was a wast of time. It wouldn't of trapped Clark and Ollie in there for good.
                      It was just to Lois something to do in the episode.
                      That crystal only gets you in the PZ not out ( as far as I know ).

There are other ways of getting out of the PZ:

The console(s) in the PZ that uses the blood of El
                      Fos. They can get Kara to help out there.

Comment

I still think the gun-pulling was totally unnecessary & horrible drama that was done just to have drama.
                        This show is terrible for finding cheap ways to create drama, at least in this case it was a small sidestory and easily forgettable, I find it much worse when the show goes to extremes to try create drama in Clark's life which makes him look terrible in the end and he is front and center

Comment

True, true, so that is why I think that Shelby's fart was the cause of the time anomaly that reached even the PZ

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎