Originally posted by Super Maverick
    lingering plots & subplots:

Lex's return
    Wedding
    Darkseid (& company)
    Green Arrow and his death mark
    Deathstroke & VRA
    Gold K

...am I forgetting anything? I'll assume not much if any of this will be resolved next week, so it's up to the 2-hour finale to wrap things up.

So hopefully Clark will find out gold K is just a myth, smash Darkseid to bits (eliminating Oliver's omega mark in the process), tell Slade to eat a d**k, welcome Lex back, get married, put the Superman suit on and fly away.
    You forgot about who will feed Shelby now that Lois and Clark have moved out of the farm. Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
      Tess?
      Lionel??
      Oliver & Chloe???

There's too much to wrap up so it doesn't feel forced or leave a bad taste in your mouth (like Suicide Squad's, Slade's and CL's fates).

I'd say they've failed already. This doesn't mean the finale won't be great, though.
      Don't forget:

-Conner
      -Clark's flight
      -The Superman suit
      -Clark's possible promotion to an upper level office (which if I wrote would happen after he writes an awarding-winning expose on Lex & how he is still alive & his whereabouts)

I would also expect Martha to move back to the farm if it wasn't already sold since they shouldn't have both her & Superman out of Smallville. There is also Granny Goodness & Godfrey who are still free as birds, Desaad who can easily escape Belle Reve with his powers, and the whole ridding everyone (Slade, Oliver, and the portions of the public) who was affected by Darkseid's darkness of it.

Comment

The fact there is so much plot to tell means the Finale will be atleast somewhat good because atleast it's (hopefully) not wasting time like the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope for Tomorrow
          It appears that what I mentioned a few months back is pretty much how it's going to go down. Cram as much as possible into what little time is left, deal with anything Darkseid/darkness related only very occasionally, and then rush EVERYTHING all at the end. The only difference is that I thought that the Darkseid issue would've been resolved the episode before the finale so that the series finale could focus on things that didn't have to be attached to Season 10. With all that they wanted to throw into the final season, it's mind boggling how many episodes were wasted on useless plots that did absolutely nothing for Clark (with at least one more to come). Then again, this final season proves crystal clear that Clark was never the priority to these people. It would've been great if guys like Verheiden, Biller, Loeb, and others (pretty much anyone connected to the first few seasons) came back just for the final season to show these clowns how it's done.
          Did nothing for Clark? I don't agree with that all, and the last three seasons did more for Clark than the last three before it. Seasons 5-7 wasn't even about his journey. It took a back seat while non Superman stuff was front and center. The only thing Clark is missing at the moment is Flight, the Suit and Name. What else does he have to do? Win the lottery?
          Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lanalang1018
            This is end of the BEGINNING. Let's not forget that.
            Excellent point.

Comment

Originally posted by Simba_Muffy
              Did nothing for Clark? I don't agree with that all, and the last three seasons did more for Clark than the last three before it.
              While I won't dispute the Clark's progression department in Seasons 5-7 in which he got regressed and then mostly just sat idle, Seasons 8-10, to me, have been just as terrible for Clark too. They have repeatedly gone with the 1 step forward, 2 steps back philosophy (or in some cases, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back), and it hasn't had Clark coming out looking too good at all, IMO. For one, these current producers have been working under one-and-possibly-done conditions with these season renewals. As a result, they've put any Clark progression (and "Clois" progression) in the first 9-10 episodes of whatever season, then as soon as they get a go-ahead for another season, they drop a bomb in the middle of it all and all of that "progression" gets crumpled up and thrown into the trash before they proceed to start all over again in the following season. This was done in Seasons 8 & 9. Season 10 he's just been kind of puttering along like he's stuck in the back half of the the previous two seasons. So, I guess that it comes down to if someone would rather see Clark just sitting idle, or Clark continuing to go forwards-and-backwards with his "progression".

Another thing is that by trying to use the short-cut method to try to create a "Superman Moment!", such as having Clark see the future, or have someone come back in time to tell him how awesome he'll be in the future, or to have other characters like Dr. Fate and Hawkman tell him how awesome he'll be in the future,etc., this also goes to make Clark come off like he's very thickheaded, oblivious, and having a short-term memory since this life-altering knowledge that he's been getting goes to make him look even more ridiculous since he doesn't appear to want to try to apply that to his present life. This is why I can't stand it when they go with the Clark-gets-future-glimpse scenario, because it's just brought in as cheap writing that ultimately does nothing for Clark. Combine this with all of the "Destiny" talk and his "training" with AI Jor-El, and it makes all even worse, IMO.

They've done this so many times by now that I think that they've lost track of what's going on with Clark anymore. One episode he comes up with an idea for his disguise, and then a couple episodes later it gets taken away from him and they do it another way. Another thing that I don't like is that Clark is only allowed to make "progress" through Lois and that he's not allowed to make decisions on his own, and if he does, they try to send the message that Clark's idea sucks and that he should've consulted with Lois first - about EVERYTHING. Meanwhile, most of his heroics and having an impact on people are reduced to being offscreen events that we're only TOLD about. So if that's someone's idea of Clark "progressing" and that Clark is so much better written now than he was in Seasons 5-7, then that's cool. I just can't see it as simply as that. If we're talking "Clois" progression, then that's another story.

Seasons 5-7 wasn't even about his journey. It took a back seat while non Superman stuff was front and center.
              And how has this changed in Seasons 8-10 - besides Clark being at the Daily Planet and together with Lois?
              Last edited by HopeforTomorrow; 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                Tess?
                Lionel??
                Oliver & Chloe???

There's too much to wrap up so it doesn't feel forced or leave a bad taste in your mouth (like Suicide Squad's, Slade's and CL's fates).

I'd say they've failed already. This doesn't mean the finale won't be great, though.

Seriously none of these characters really deserve a wrap up. Smallville has always been about clark kent, that the story that needs to be wrapped up. if there is time left after that, then maybe they can wrap up those closest to clark, imo thats lois only this season. Lionel is dead, we do not need any explanation of what will happen to him, so is pa kent. It will be a waste of time. Well, tess if she is alive, i think that will be good enough

Comment

Originally posted by BlueRanger
                  Seriously none of these characters really deserve a wrap up. Smallville has always been about clark kent, that the story that needs to be wrapped up. if there is time left after that, then maybe they can wrap up those closest to clark, imo thats lois only this season. Lionel is dead, we do not need any explanation of what will happen to him, so is pa kent. It will be a waste of time. Well, tess if she is alive, i think that will be good enough
                  The story of Clark Kent has been over since "Homecoming". There's nothing left except the suit and flight.

Leaving all these characters without a proper ending is just a bad storytelling. I didn't want AULionel on the show but whats done is done. I wouldn't want the writers to forget the characters. Doing that would be non-sensical, a cop out and just plain stupid.

But I guess the Finale was said to be a stand-alone episode so there wouldn't be too much continuity. In that case, these last episodes before the finale (except "Booster" which I loved even though it did nothing for the grand scheme of things) have been a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by HopeforTomorrow
                    And how has this changed in Seasons 8-10 - besides Clark being at the Daily Planet and together with Lois?
                    It definitely hasn't changed. Plus, the writers don't even have stories that are focused on Clark working at the DP so if it's progression for Clark to be there, it's off-screen progression for the most part. But Clark still can't fly. His double identity storyline is a mess and Clark isn't even wearing glasses every episode. His team members, including his fiancee, are going against his orders and thank goodness for that because Clark many times has been wrong. He's also still having his hand held, most recently by Lois who has to basically order the guy to keep a pair of glasses on his face. So you're right. And I think that you also pointed out another problem with Clark seeing the future. He has that knowledge, and yet he's still not where he is supposed to be. I also detest the idea of having Clark see the future and what he's capable of. That, to me, is taking all of the fun out of the journey and watching Clark grow into the guy he is in the future. It's like Clark was given the answer sheet to the test before he was ready to take it.
                    Last edited by myankskent; 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope for Tomorrow
                      While I won't dispute the Clark's progression department in Seasons 5-7 in which he got regressed and then mostly just sat idle, Seasons 8-10, to me, have been just as terrible for Clark too. They have repeatedly gone with the 1 step forward, 2 steps back philosophy (or in some cases, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back), and it hasn't had Clark coming out looking too good at all, IMO. For one, these current producers have been working under one-and-possibly-done conditions with these season renewals. As a result, they've put any Clark progression (and "Clois" progression) in the first 9-10 episodes of whatever season, then as soon as they get a go-ahead for another season, they drop a bomb in the middle of it all and all of that "progression" gets crumpled up and thrown into the trash before they proceed to start all over again in the following season. This was done in Seasons 8 & 9. Season 10 he's just been kind of puttering along like he's stuck in the back half of the the previous two seasons. So, I guess that it comes down to if someone would rather see Clark just sitting idle, or Clark continuing to go forwards-and-backwards with his "progression".

Another thing is that by trying to use the short-cut method to try to create a "Superman Moment!", such as having Clark see the future, or have someone come back in time to tell him how awesome he'll be in the future, or to have other characters like Dr. Fate and Hawkman tell him how awesome he'll be in the future,etc., this also goes to make Clark come off like he's very thickheaded, oblivious, and having a short-term memory since this life-altering knowledge that he's been getting goes to make him look even more ridiculous since he doesn't appear to want to try to apply that to his present life. This is why I can't stand it when they go with the Clark-gets-future-glimpse scenario, because it's just brought in as cheap writing that ultimately does nothing for Clark. Combine this with all of the "Destiny" talk and his "training" with AI Jor-El, and it makes all even worse, IMO.

They've done this so many times by now that I think that they've lost track of what's going on with Clark anymore. One episode he comes up with an idea for his disguise, and then a couple episodes later it gets taken away from him and they do it another way. Another thing that I don't like is that Clark is only allowed to make "progress" through Lois and that he's not allowed to make decisions on his own, and if he does, they try to send the message that Clark's idea sucks and that he should have consulted with Lois first - about EVERYTHING. Meanwhile, most of his heroics and having an impact on people are reduced to being offscreen events that we're only TOLD about. So if that's someone's idea of Clark "progressing" and that Clark is so much better written now than he was in Seasons 5-7, then that's cool. I just can't see it as simply as that. If we're talking "Clois" progression, then that's another story.

Off-Screen? Okay. lol

No, it wasn't just about Clark and Lois progression. Clark progressed too. Yes, it was done without Lois. I'm not going to even list all the stuff S8-S10 did for the main character ON-SCREEN because I'm not in the mood. Someone else can do it.

The only thing he is missing at the moment is the three things I named. That's all he's missing. Unless, he has to find Jimmy's Hoffa's body too.

Comment

I have faith in smallville, it will all work out

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent
                          I think that you also pointed out another problem with Clark seeing the future. He has that knowledge, and yet he's still not where he is supposed to be. I also detest the idea of having Clark see the future and what he's capable of. That, to me, is taking all of the fun out of the journey and watching Clark grow into the guy he is in the future. It's like Clark was given the answer sheet to the test before he was ready to take it.
                          I completely agree. It defeats the whole purpose of the show when Clark is pretty much just given the answers to what he needs to do and him becoming Superman is just a result of 101 different outside forms of intervention. While they've been bringing in all of these useless characters onto the show for face-time they've really messed up Clark's characterization in the process, and the usual solution that they've used to help get them by is to just sprinkle some "Clois" over it until it's time for the designated "deliver the Clark!" writer's turn to write an episode that reflects well on Clark.

Originally posted by Simba_Muffy
                          Off-Screen? Okay. lol
                          Yes. It's known that Clark/The Blur is out there having a big impact on people thanks to what was shown in Beacon with the pro-"Blur" testimonial videos. Unfortunately, about 90% of the action has happened offscreen since they don't allow Clark to go out and venture around and have any interactions with the average person anymore. He's usually just shown standing around dialoguing with one of the regulars or one of the shiny DC characters that randomly shows up.

No, it wasn't just about Clark and Lois progression. Clark progressed too.
                          The first half of Season 8 is the only time that I think they did alright on the Clark front. The important thing to factor into that though is that the producers were going into it as if it were the last season ever since they'd only been picked up for one season without a guarantee for another one. That meant that they had to get Clark (and "Clois") on a move, and fast. I believe that they were using "Clois" as their ace card as leverage for when it came time for getting the greenlight for another season, and another thing that they did (more like what DC did) was to pack many more DC universe characters into the mix. By doing that, they'd created two built-in audiences right there off the bat, but unfortunately they decided to forget about those that had been watching since the beginning. Their writing patterns have become very transparent, IMO.

And as for the Seasons 5-7 vs Seasons 8-10 Clark comparisons, there is no way to compare, IMO. Back then, Clark wasn't armed with all of this knowledge/cheap writing of what he's supposed to do in the future. He hadn't been told that Lois is "the key" back when he was obsessed about Lana, or anything like that. Now, he only progresses (more like an illusion of progression) because he's been given a map to follow in search of his "destiny". That has been one of my biggest issues - or possibly THE biggest issue - for me when it comes down to how Clark was written in Seasons 8-10. Clark may have been mopey in the middle years, but he wasn't just given the answers to everything that's supposed to happen down the line.
                          Last edited by HopeforTomorrow; 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HopeforTomorrow
                            Yes. It's known that Clark/The Blur is out there having a big impact on people thanks to what was shown in Beacon with the pro-"Blur" testimonial videos. Unfortunately, about 90% of the action has happened offscreen since they don't allow Clark to go out and venture around and have any interactions with the average person anymore. He's usually just shown standing around dialoguing with one of the regulars or one of the shiny DC characters that randomly shows up.
                            I like the shiny DC characters but I understand why someone wouldn't: It's Clark's show and the guest stars tend to steal the thunder.

Anyways, otherwise I agree. S10 is counting too much on the heroics of S8 and 9. Apart from "Lazarus" there hasn't been that much major saves that would affect how the people view him. There were so many episodes that would have needed an onscreen save from Clark that would have affected the VRA vote in "Beacon". Clark just vanished and needed cheering up the whole time.

Comment

Well, not EVERYTHING will be resolved in the last three episodes.

It's not like we'll ever know what happened to Dr. Bryce, Lucas, how Dr. Swann received the key, how come Chloe was the only meta-freak that powers didn't "turn on" from the beginning, and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Anno_Domini
                                how come Chloe was the only meta-freak that powers didn't "turn on" from the beginning, and etc.
                                Who says they weren't? Since her power was rather special she probably just didn't activate them by accident.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎