Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really realistic that Oliver can throw around Clark?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SnowBird
    I keep reading where Oliver is a trained fighter. I also think Clark received training in the Fortress with Jor-El so I don't think that is a good argument as to an advantage for Oliver.
    also worth noting Clark threw the fight so...

Comment

I have a friend who teaches martial arts. There is a 14 year old girl in the class that manhandles guys twice her size. My friend also weighs around 165 and spars in Judo with guys around 250. The big guys think they have the advantage until he tosses them around. Size is not always the key to a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin90
        I have a friend who teaches martial arts. There is a 14 year old girl in the class that manhandles guys twice her size. My friend also weighs around 165 and spars in Judo with guys around 250. The big guys think they have the advantage until he tosses them around. Size is not always the key to a fight.
        Yup as a practiser of Judo I know I've picked up guys who would dwarf TW and threw them...

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
          also worth noting Clark threw the fight so...
          True, but the fight that Clark had with the guy before Ollie was very real and Clark won so I did see what Clark is capable of. Ollie had a free pass when it came to Clark so no proof as to what Ollie can actually do with that kind of fighting.

There is a little bit of info that came to attention in the spoiler thread some time ago. Tom accidentally broke a stunt man's nose so I wonder if this was the occasion with him fighting in this episode. Could that have been real blood on the fighter that Clark beat? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
            True, but the fight that Clark had with the guy before Ollie was very real and Clark won so I did see what Clark is capable of. Ollie had a free pass when it came to Clark so no proof as to what Ollie can actually do with that kind of fighting.

There is a little bit of info that came to attention in the spoiler thread some time ago. Tom accidentally broke a stunt man's nose so I wonder if this was the occasion with him fighting in this episode. Could that have been real blood on the fighter that Clark beat? Just a thought.
            Doubtful that was real blood. I work on sets on occasion and they would have instantly cleaned up the injured man. There are too many diseases out there that are blood-borne so they are pretty careful about that.

I wouldn't want to spar with Tom...LOL!! As big and strong as he is, if he did accidentally hit you it would hurt like the dickens. And I've sparred with big guys....but he looks like he would enthusiastically throw everything he had into it.

Comment

We were also wondering why Clark is such a wuss just cause he doesn't have his powers. He is still quite a strapping man!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anu
                I know that Oliver can fight. The question was just that Clark is a pretty big guy. He probably weighs around 220 pounds, it just seemed weird and unrealistic that he could just throw him around like that. And Oliver isn't that big either. I can't imagine him weighing more than Clark.
                Weight has nothing to do with it. Weight or muscle size does not define strength.

----- Added 56 Seconds later -----

Bruce Lee could probably kick Clarks ass!!!

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

By the way I am a smallish woman and I can pick up and toss people twice my size...
                Exactly. Some of the weakest people i know are the type you see flexing muscles in the gym

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Yup as a practiser of Judo I know I've picked up guys who would dwarf TW and threw them...

lol
                Last edited by LittleMonster; 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Kycowgirl92176
                  Doubtful that was real blood. I work on sets on occasion and they would have instantly cleaned up the injured man. There are too many diseases out there that are blood-borne so they are pretty careful about that.

I wouldn't want to spar with Tom...LOL!! As big and strong as he is, if he did accidentally hit you it would hurt like the dickens. And I've sparred with big guys....but he looks like he would enthusiastically throw everything he had into it.
                  You are probably right. The only thing I was thinking is if the stuntman didn't let on right away he was injured, they might use the footage. I've never had my nose broke so I could be way off on tolerance of pain in that case.

Tom has had some training in boxing or kick boxing, so I think he would know what to do to put a hurt on someone if it came down to survival. He also makes fighting look real so again the training might play a part in that. But, yes, I wouldn't want to be the other guy if Tom connects with his punch.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleMonster

lol
                    The bigger they are the easier it is to manipulate their centre of gravity.

Comment

LOL Clark without powers is nothing, just proved it in the movie Superman II.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleidich
                        LOL Clark without powers is nothing, just proved it in the movie Superman II.
                        Smallville isn't Superman II. Did you not see SV Clark beat that big guy and then spared his life?

Comment

Like Bri, I have also done a little Judo (5th degree black belt). While it is highly unlikely that anyone could throw someone the same distance as you see on TV and the movies (people in real-life aren't hooked up to wires!), it is indeed possible for smaller people to throw larger people with a fair amount of "air time". It is more a matter of balance (keeping yours and off-balancing your opponent) than strength. Given that Ollie has trained extensively in unarmed combat and Clark was not fully resisting (he knew Ollie would have to "win"), it is certainly believable that Oliver could throw Clark through the air. Clark just wouldn't have had quite the same "air time" if he weren't hooked up to wires.

Comment

Well its not like Oliver was throwing clark around, he got one good throw on him, and Oliver is a pretty big guy, not as big as clark, but still pretty strong. mabey it was all a plan to make the fight look more engaging so zod would fall for it!

Comment

(reads through 4 pages)

I totally thought this was about how Ollie seemingly pushed Clark into the PZ from behind while Clark still had his powers. No? No one?

Comment

Originally posted by SpitCurl
                                (reads through 4 pages)

I totally thought this was about how Ollie seemingly pushed Clark into the PZ from behind while Clark still had his powers. No? No one?
                                More like on Clark's coattails or a piggyback ride like Lionel did when Clark came back from the AU.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎