Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this episode necessary or pointless?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth is that out of all the post-AlMiles seasons, this season is the weakest.

Comment

I'd say the most uncoordinated, but it also had the most potential.

Comment

Count me in this as well. It's been said that a romantic interest isn't necessarily integral to a superhero's plotline, but, in this case, it is.

From the beginning, Lois Lane has been a BIG part of Superman. She's has been there from the beginning. In the comics, TV shows, movies.....she's been there. She is the love of Superman's life and what makes everything worth fighting for to him. Yes, he would still be the world's hero, but what makes him human, what gives him the passion to drive onward is Lois Lane.

Smallville differs from other incarnations in that they have brought her in before he really became Superman. I actually have enjoyed this version immensely because of that. It doesn't mean he wouldn't be the hero he needed to be....that's not what I'm saying. It means he wouldn't be the MAN he needs to be without her. She humanizes him and makes his life easier, better, and fulfilling in a personal way.

From the beginning, Clark Kent on Smallville has always feared he would be destined to be alone. It's been a main theme of the series as much as his journey into becoming Superman. They have dealt with both aspects this final season. I have no objections to how they've handled anything. I'm enjoying this last run of the journey. And I'm glad Lois has been there for him. He needs that. We all do.

Comment

No one is arguing that Lois is entirely unimportant, but I feel that if Superman is not entirely Clark's idea, then it cheapens his motives to become Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMophilus
            The problem this season is that many episodes had just about 10-20% of continuity, while the rest of 80% was useless stuff just happening for no sound reason.
            Isn't that the problem of every season
            Last edited by Supsfan; 05-01-2011, 02:11 PM.

Comment

This episode def is not a pointless filler

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by i_need_a_new_username
              No one is arguing that Lois is entirely unimportant, but I feel that if Superman is not entirely Clark's idea, then it cheapens his motives to become Superman.
              This. Clark needs more attitude
              Looks like Clark depend totally of Lois to become superman.
              Last edited by time bomb; 05-01-2011, 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

MOD EDIT Going by strict interpretation? This is who should have been there: Clark, Martha, Jonathan, Lana, Pete and - if they wanted , Lex and the LOSH. Those are the main characters who, in the more Modern takes, have been the most involved in the "Superboy" aspect of the Superman story. But even in the true, original Silver Age version of Superboy, Clark met many people he would meet later as Superman - Lois included.

Proving my point that Lois is unnecessary.
                A long list have been unnecessary. You are the one that has only kept singling out Lois.

Lies. Clark began a predestination paradox, meaning the idea of "Clark Kent- Darily Planet Reporter" never actually had a genesis point, past Clark saw future Clark, and Future Clark, when he was younger, saw a future version of himself in that getup. What we do see however is that immediately Clark decides he doesn't like it and Lois has to remind him it's important, even though he should know, beings as he is about to tell the entire planet he's an alien.
                NOT a lie. Lois said point blank that he chose to do it. Yes, he got the idea from a predestination-paradox, but he still decided to go through with it, which he didn't have to. Just because he was whining about it didn't mean he didn't think it was important. It's not important that he like it - he just has to do it.

And anyway, Homecoming actually did establish that Future!Clark doesn't like wearing the glasses. So that was part of the predestination paradox too.

Lois agreed to be with him for better or worse, what he does with his powers is none of her business, just like how he decided to take care of the Phantom Zone (which is his prison) is his business. Which is why he decided not to tell Lois he was the Blur and he was going to leave for New Krypton.
                He was actually going to tell her until she mentioned Perry White and the job in Africa. Then he decided not to in order to spare her any hurt.

And I'm sorry, but that "for better or for worse" works both ways in any real marriage, not one way. Yes, Clark will do what he has to do, Lois wont try and stop him (just like she didn't here - she knew he was going into the Phantom Zone). But even real life solders wives know when their husbands are in a deadly combat situation. That is what the issue was in this episode - that if there is a possibly that he wont come back he should tell her, not leave her in ignorance and doubt about what's happening to him. Which, in the comics is exactly what Clark did when he was going off to New Krypton - told his wife exactly where he was going and that he had no clue when - or if - he would ever be back. She accepted that, they kissed goodbye, and he left.

That is how a real marriage works. That's how Lois and Clark's marriage, in the comics works. And that's what Lois on Clark's relationship, on SV, has been trying to adjust to.
                Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:31 AM. Reason: Fan-on-fan talk

Comment

Clark stepping out to help people has always been his idea and his idea alone ultimately. He became the Blur entirely on his own. It's his journey no doubt about it. Lois giving him a few pointers that really have nothing to do with becoming Superman, with being a hero, don't undermine that.

Helping him construct a dual identity doesn't affect who he is or his decisions as a hero. Jor-El helping him, or Martha helping him don't seem to bother most people, why should Lois, his soulmate, giving him some aid bother anyone either?

It's his decision, not hers. It always has been. She is just supporting him in any way she can. She is a part of his life and has been, in some capacity, for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                    MOD EDIT Going by strict interpretation? This is who should have been there: Clark, Martha, Jonathan, Lana, Pete and - if they wanted , Lex and the LOSH. Those are the main characters who, in the more Modern takes, have been the most involved in the "Superboy" aspect of the Superman story. But even in the true, original Silver Age version of Superboy, Clark met many people he would meet later as Superman - Lois included.

A long list have been unnecessary. You are the one that has only kept singling out Lois.

NOT a lie. Lois said point blank that he chose to do it. Yes, he got the idea from a predestination-paradox, but he still decided to go through with it, which he didn't have to. Just because he was whining about it didn't mean he didn't think it was important. It's not important that he like it - he just has to do it.

And anyway, Homecoming actually did establish that Future!Clark doesn't like wearing the glasses. So that was part of the predestination paradox too.

He was actually going to tell her until she mentioned Perry White and the job in Africa. Then he decided not to in order to spare her any hurt.

And I'm sorry, but that "for better or for worse" works both ways in any real marriage, not one way. Yes, Clark will do what he has to do, Lois wont try and stop him (just like she didn't here - she knew he was going into the Phantom Zone). But even real life solders wives know when their husbands are in a deadly combat situation. That is what the issue was in this episode - that if there is a possibly that he wont come back he should tell her, not leave her in ignorance and doubt about what's happening to him. Which, in the comics is exactly what Clark did when he was going off to New Krypton - told his wife exactly where he was going and that he had no clue when - or if - he would ever be back. She accepted that, they kissed goodbye, and he left.

That is how a real marriage works. That's how Lois and Clark's marriage, in the comics works. And that's what Lois on Clark's relationship, on SV, has been trying to adjust to.
                    good post. I agree though when you get right down to it some people will never change their minds (me being one of them).
                    Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:33 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited

Comment

What constitutes Clark's idea? What makes him Superman?

If it's saving people, he's been doing that in a proactive way since season 8. Decided to do so by himself. The suit? Martha made it, as is tradition. So, if it's the suit, then does that mean Martha made him Superman? Is it going public? Because he has decided he needs to do that. He talked it over with both Martha and Lois (just like in the comics he talked it over with both Martha and Jonathan), but it was very clear it was something he was thinking of doing. Does talking over doing it with them mean that they were responsible for it? Not IMO.

So really, out of all of this, what has ever just been Clark's idea in any version of this story? I'd say it's the initial decision to help people and give them hope. That is the one consistence in every version IMO. Martha makes the suit, Martha and Jonathan usually help him come up with the glasses and stuff, but the heart of who Superman is has always been Clark's idea. And it was so in the SV version of Superman too.

Comment

If it's saving people, he's been doing that in a proactive way since season 8. Decided to do so by himself. The suit? Martha made it, as is tradition. So, if it's the suit, then does that mean Martha made him Superman? Is it going public? Because he has decided he needs to do that. He talked it over with both Martha and Lois (just like in the comics he talked it over with both Martha and Jonathan), but it was very clear it was something he was thinking of doing. Does talking over doing it with them mean that they were responsible for it? Not IMO.

So really, out of all of this, what has ever just been Clark's idea in any version of this story? I'd say it's the initial decision to help people and give them hope. That is the one consistence in every version IMO. Martha makes the suit, Martha and Jonathan usually help him come up with the glasses and stuff, but the heart of who Superman is has always been Clark's idea. And it was so in the SV version of Superman too.
                        If there's one thing I've noticed it's Smallville getting criticized for things that have consitently happened in the franchise.

Comment

Sarcastic? Seemed pretty damed serious to me. You gave ZERO indication that you were joking/not serious. After all, they created this smiley face ( ) for that very thing. But okay, if you want to now go with being "sarcastic" in your comment, go right ahead.
                          I thought with the TARDIS growing, you would have caught on. I'm not a Time Lord :P.

And I never said Clark alone was necessary. I never said who was necessary - only who, in a strict interpretation of the mythos, wasn't.
                          You seem to disagree with yourself

Originally posted by YOU
                          Maybe Clark should have had no love and support in his life at all - that way we could avoid anyone being responsible for making him Superman.
                          But I'll indulge you. Going by strict interpretation? This is who should have been there: Clark, Martha, Jonathan, Lana, Pete and - if they wanted , Lex and the LOSH. Those are the main characters who, in the more Modern takes, have been the most involved in the "Superboy" aspect of the Superman story. But even in the true, original Silver Age version of Superboy, Clark met many people he would meet later as Superman - Lois included.
                          Correct, but I fail to see a point. Superboy is essentially already Superman, just younger, so Lois and Lex had no part in helping him.

You keep bringing up why Lois is "important" to the formation of Superman. I show you why you were wrong. Bring up others I don't care. Everyone who was not a close friend in Smallville or a Kent was unnecessary, one person they did miss out, who is important was Mon-El. Why aren't you fighting for his inclusion?

NOT a lie. Lois said point blank that he chose to do it. Yes, he got the idea from a predestination-paradox, but he still decided to go through with it, which he didn't have to. Just because he was whining about it didn't mean he didn't think it was important. It's no important that he like it - he just has to do it.

Whining that he doesn't like it and that Lois has to remind him that is important shows a small amount of will power on Clark's side, they're glasses, it's not like he has to hop on one leg everywhere.

Proof? I have Clark saying to Oliver he won't tell her because it will be ripped away. The job just made that job easier.

And I'm sorry, but that "for better or for worse" works both ways in any real marriage, not one way. Yes, Clark will do what he has to do, Lois wont try and stop him (just like she didn't here - she knew he was going to the Phantom Zone). But even real life solders wives know when their husbands are in a deadly combat situation. That is what the issue was in this episode - that if there is a possibly that he wont come back he should tell her, not leave her in ignorance and doubt about what's happening to him. Which, in the comics is exactly what Clark did when he was going off to New Krypton - told his wife exactly where he was going and that he had no clue when - or if - he would ever be back. She accepted that, kissed goodbye, and he left.

There's a difference between, what literally could have ended up as Hell all over the universe because you're too selfish to let a loved one do what they want. Chloe, Martha, Oliver and Tess understood this, but Lois could have caused hundreds of quadrillions of deaths (her own included) so Clark could have a chance at living (which was already guaranteed, as Tess couldn't actually destroy the blood altar crystal anyway). But he should've told her, that I agree with, but she had no role in trying to take control of the situation that her superior in the JLA commanded.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

I meant LITERALLY becoming know to the entire universe as Superman. If others have to convince him, it's just not the same. And like you said, he always discusses it with his parents, but they always assure him that it is HIS Decision. No one else can decide for him, Clark has had to be convinced by every other character on Smallville except Luthor, Davis and Zod.
                          Last edited by i_need_a_new_username; 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You keep bringing up why Lois is "important" to the formation of Superman. I show you why you were wrong. Bring up others I don't care. Everyone who was not a close friend in Smallville or a Kent was unnecessary, one person they did miss out, who is important was Mon-El. Why aren't you fighting for his inclusion?
                            Uh, no I haven't. I've just been pointing out that the idea that she's NOT important isn't only limited to her. (And that the idea that she'd never encounter Clark before he was Superman was false). But I never once said she was important in the formation of Superman. What I object to is singling her and her role in the SV version of Clark's journey out when there are many other "early comers" to this story just like her.

And "fighting" for Mon-El's inclusion? LMAO! Just because I forgot all about him - which I tend to do since after World of New Krypton I tend to find him an absolute dullard - doesn't mean I'm fighting against including him. So yeah, include him all you want, I don't care.

Unless, of course, that was sarcasm too.

Whining that he doesn't like it and that Lois has to remind him that is important shows a small amount of will power on Clark's side, they're glasses, it's not like he has to hop on one leg everywhere.
                            So? Still doesn't mean he has to like them. It's a character quirk, not something humongous when it comes to the overall story. This version of Clark doesn't like the glasses, even though he knows he has to wear them. The end.

Proof? I have Clark saying to Oliver he won't tell her because it will be ripped away. The job just made that job easier.
                            When he started talking in the Loft, he said "if I don't tell you now, I never will." He was headed towards some type of confession - even if it was just "I'm leaving." That way, Lois would have at least know he was going away, even if she didn't tell her exactly where.

There's a difference between, what literally could have ended up as Hell all over the universe because you're too selfish to let a loved one do what they want. Chloe, Martha, Oliver and Tess understood this, but Lois could have caused hundreds of quadrillions of deaths (her own included) so Clark could have a chance at living (which was already guaranteed, as Tess couldn't actually destroy the blood altar crystal anyway). But he should've told her, that I agree with, but she had no role in trying to take control of the situation that her superior in the JLA commanded.
                            So we're just going to ignore that:

a. No other phantoms came out of the PZ after Slade did before or after Clark and Oliver went in. Something I'm like to think Tess and the rest of the JLA were smart enough to noticed after the remaining 2 hours were up.

b. Blowing up the gate and trapping Clark inside was NOT the original plan. Clark had planned to be out long before the gate was scheduled to blow up.

c. Clark himself would have more than likely told Tess to hold off blowing up the gate if the two-way communicator had still been working given that - it was all a trap by Zod and Darkseid to get Clark in there so they could kill him and Darkseid could take over Earth.

But by all means, lets stick with the plan to blow up the gate, even though no other PZ criminals were coming out of it (they couldn't since it required House of El blood to active and Zod had the crystal - which is why Clark went in there in the first place - to check how Slade could have done so), and Clark had planned to come back long before the gate was scheduled to be closed. And even though he never planned it, Lois should have totally given up on the man she loves coming back even though they had no clue what happened and that Clark hadn't planned to get trapped there in the first place. Then we can just have Darkseid take over Earth instead. So, you know, those hundreds of deaths? Were still going to happen, had she - or someone - hadn't decided to change the plan.

Which is why this was not a black and white situation.
                            Last edited by morrigan01; 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I did not think this episode was filler. It showed Clark, being proactive, making decisions for himself, being leader, and even getting mad at Oliver. When he disobeyed orders. It tied up what happened to zod and even tied in dark side to the story line as well. Also it set up a storyline for prophecy, which they almost never do unless I am forgetting something. Finally it even establish a timeline for the final two episodes. Which they never do. So I do not know how this could be considered filler.

Overall, I have enjoyed the season. I know some people do not like it and I respect their opinions. Sure there have been some episodes that could have been done better and villains that could have been used better. I still know why, though peoples continue to compare season nine with season 10. That is like comparing apples to oranges in my humble opinion. Looking at some of the fact.
                              Season nine, we saw the dark side of Clark. From his close (the matrix uniform), to his isolation from humanity (the way he dealt with Chloe and Oliver, not that they did not deserve it.), Keeping Lois at a distance. I mean, really. He burned down a building, if that is not darkness. I do not know what it is. Season nine also showed Clark accepting that he was kryptonian and everything that came with it. While showing them there is a better way to live.

While in contrast this season. Is about making him a symbol of hope. Remember that at the beginning of this season. They were coming off of issues for Clark's character personally that existed in season nine. The very first episode, Clark said. "I know I have it in me now to kill" referencing the burning building from season nine. In shield Clark took his first step in becoming a symbol of hope by the changing his appearance (the new suit) in Supergirl. Clark finally began to fly. Establish the fact that Clark actually wants to be a symbol of hope and establish that his father had abandoned him (which probably created more darkness)

They dealt with keeping Lois at a distance in episode four and five with brainiac and Isis and the darkness. In those episodes they were showing that in order for Clark. Specifically, to beat the darkness, one would have to leave the past mistakes behind (brainiac) and let people into your heart completely (Isis).

Because even though some people will not agree with this, on the show and that other shows. Love and compassion has shown to be the difference between good and evil. Yes, Clark's parents loved him, but in season nine Clark left that love behind. So to speak. Even Chloe in season seven, episode dissent when Clark asked her what made Lex to kill his father, she answered "total absence of love, some say that is the definition of evil."

Harvest. I think was important, because it showed and reinforce how desperate people are to believe in something. Reinforcing what Godfrey said in Supergirl. When he was talking to his publicist.

Ambush once again showed the bond of family and having people who care about you in your life.

Abandoned, showed how much Clark's father really cares about him (the father-son relationship in Superman has been a long-standing theme). I think it is good that they showed it because up until that point in my opinion. His father (yes I know he is artificial intelligence but he still Clark's father) has been shown to be kind of cold and evil himself.

Patriot, once again showed Clark's leadership skills and ideals. Luther once again reinforced the bond of compassion, and family love and life that Jonathan and Martha gave Clark and how important influence was to him and for him.

In Icarus they dealt with the evils and darkness of humanity which had been on the rise since Lazarus or shield. Collateral, while mostly a waste, had two key elements. Trusting in believing others and believing in yourself. Which was touched on in this episode with zod, and his kryptonian instincts speech.

Beacon proved, to Clark that he was making a difference (believe me. Once you see that you are doing something that people appreciate. That gives you reason and motivation to continue doing. It is a very human response).

The masquerade episode set up the reason and the need for the dual identity. It also proved to the audience and to Clark that the first half of the season themes and episodes were ultimately important. This is dealing with the speech that Darkside desaad gave "when I last laid eyes upon you wore your sin openly, you are much more self-assured now. More love in your heart then when you face Godfrey. You are stronger than when you face Grammy as well. Sadly, incorruptible." This speech, summed up the entire season themes of the entire season and the issues that Clark was dealing with. Up until that point. (Grammy dealt with the abandonment issues between Clark and AI father.)

So those episodes that some people think were filler were actually showing us and telling us why Clark became incorruptible, which is what Superman is supposed to be and represent. Fortune was a filler episode all the way. The next episode showed the beginning of Clark, putting the things he learned or has learned into reality.

Teaching Connor the way and like Jonathan taught him. Booster showed Clark, but it is okay to be a celebrity and be a hero, which Clark has not understood yet. However, Clark also taught booster that there has to be a balance between celebrity and hero. The next episode showed how far Clark has come this season and that he is becoming a symbol of hope.

Dominion. Once again showed Clark's leadership and willingness to sacrifice himself for humanity, which is a Superman thing to do.

As for Lois. People want the story to be about Clark. But then, they also want Lois to do her own thing. Which they have touchdown these last few episodes, particularly with the promotion aspect of booster. However, if you want the story to be about Clark than Lois will have to be the supportive character/girlfriend.

All in all, I think this season has focused a lot of Clark and his development into Superman. Yes is not as obvious as some people would like but is there. You just have to find it. Alternately, this season has been a one of symbolism and meaning Instead of an obvious story.

Remember. Just my opinions
                              Last edited by mrw66855; 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Yikes... things be getting tense in here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎