Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this episode necessary or pointless?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isis could have been more then it was. It was just ok. Homecoming was the middle finger to Lana and the step in right direction Clark needed since season 6. Homecoming was one of the best episodes this season, Isis was there for fanboy service and mostly failed. This was not a filler episode. We got Ollie on track to find the bow of Orion and we learned a bit more Darkseid's plan. Last week, was throwing a pilot Blue Beelte episode into a Smallville episode. Most of the episodes were not filler, but just terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kneel before Zod
      As far as I'm concerned, this whole series is filler by definition. It's just filling in the space between the the time Clark arrived on Earth to when he becomes Superman, so it doesn't bother me that much.
      I think pretty simularily to that which is why I don't get all the complaining about filler. Its become my least favorite word in the Smallville universe. There really are not that many stories to tell that haven't been told already that somebody out there wouldn't consider "filler." Its a pretty quick ride to the end without "filler." This series is about Clark's adventures along the way to becoming Superman. This was another one of those adventures.

There are a few episodes every season that are just random (good or bad as the case may be), but most episodes develop some sort of plot related to either character development or season long arcs for the characters.
      Last edited by A Flawed Fashion; 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

mod edit
        Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:22 AM. Reason: Arguing/fan-on-fan

Comment

MOD EDIT

I have no problem with all the characters being used on Smallville, I just don't want to see any of the characters being showcased on favour over development over the season long arc, and the series long arc of Clark becoming Superman.

For example, I do not consider Scion a filler episode as it furthered the Kent vs Luthor storyline that was a big thing a few years ago. However, the storyline of (For example Harvest)

"Lois and Clark are trapped in a town filled with Blue- K and they want to sacrifice Lois. For crops".

That does not further any story. But with one small change:

"Lois and Clark are trapped by a town under the control of Darkseid and his Anti-Life equation. They want to kill Lois in order for Clark to succumb to his darkness within."

It furthers Lois' individual arc of becoming more devoted to Clark, keeps all the "Clois" scenes and furthers Darkseid's story.

and BTW I've pointed out I don't think this episode was a filler.
          Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:24 AM. Reason: Quoted post removed; fan-on-fan talk

Comment

mod edit
            Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:24 AM. Reason: Arguing

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
              As I said, if Lois isn't needed, then guess what? Neither is/was Kara, Conner, the JLA or even half the villains that have shown up on this show. Because none of them are "necessary to a Superman origin story." But they're here and they have all had their place in the story now. Sometimes they are used well, sometimes not. It's not just Lois and/or Clois.

And I'm not going to get into an episode comparison debate on this. But episodes like Ambush show you can have a strong focus on the Clois relationship and still advance the season plot (as Ambush did with the VRA/Suicide Squad).
              Superman is always going to need an opposition to fight on. That's why there usually is a villain in the story. Unless Lois Lane will become Supes worst nemesis, she isn't needed in every story. "Dominion" for example was one of those stories.

A good supporting cast is always needed and they have to be utilized well which SV doesn't always do (especially this season).

Lois and Clark alone fighting a random religious group a'la "Harvest" just doesn't work for me. "Ambush" worked because of the Suicide Squad. It was the defining line of the episode. Clark's and Lois' stuff was much needed developement and layers the episode needed but they aren't needed in episodes like "Patriot" and "Dominion" because the episodes don't call for it. Still it's present and pointless.

Superhero stories can work without a romantic interest but don't work without a proper multi-layerd and developed villain for the long term which SV is at 22 episodes a season. This is imo the key reasons why S9 for example worked so much better. Callum Blue was a presence to be felt like seen in "Dominion".

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                *snort* Since Lois has barley had an independent plot-arc outside of Clark and supporting his hero life this season, I completely disagree with that.
                This is the sole reason why I think ED's episode count is too much. She is in every episode but her character hasn't been given an arc outside of being Clark's girlfriend. Lois is just dull in this season imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                  Superman is always going to need an opposition to fight on. That's why there usually is a villain in the story. Unless Lois Lane will become Supes worst nemesis, she isn't needed in every story. "Dominion" for example was one of those stories.
                  Well, of course Clark was going to need villains to fight. I'm just saying it wasn't necessary to bring in the rouges he will be fighting as Superman, just like Kara, Conner, Oliver, the JLA and yes, even Lois didn't have to show up. That's why the show came up with the meteor-freak thing during Clark' HS years.

We didn't really start getting the more DC villains - and other characters - showing up, until after Clark graduated from HS.

Lois and Clark alone fighting a random religious group a'la "Harvest" just doesn't work for me. "Ambush" worked because of the Suicide Squad. It was the defining line of the episode. Clark's and Lois' stuff was much needed developement and layers the episode needed but they aren't needed in episodes like "Patriot" and "Dominion" because the episodes don't call for it. Still it's present and pointless.
                  Well, I didn't like the creepy town plot of Harvest, so I'm not going to disagree with you. And I hated mostly everything wrt the Patriot script, but thought the idea behind what Lois and Clark faced was a good one and needed to be explored by them, but was handled poorly. (I'm sorry, but Lois and Clark don't need Mera's approval of them.) I don' t think Lois was shoehorned into Dominion, but the problem was the writer of the ep just repeated some of the same themes with Clark and Lois that he already did with them in Patriot.

Superhero stories can work without a romantic interest but don't work without a proper multi-layerd and developed villain for the long term which SV is at 22 episodes a season. This is imo the key reasons why S9 for example worked so much better. Callum Blue was a presence to be felt like seen in "Dominion".
                  I agree with you about Callum Blue and Zod last season and why it worked better than Darkseid has this season. I think the Darkseid plot has been a mess frankly. But the blame isn't because the writers have overly focused on Lois or Clois. It's because they've been trying to throw everything and anything into the season, via their "bucket list" without any coherency whatsoever. Conner didn't need to show up. AU-Lionel Luthor didn't need to show up. (He's an AU-version Lionel, not the original. Why would Lex care about him?) Kara sure as hell didn't need to show up, flying around and being a more public hero before Clark did so (in the final season no less).

Frankly, Clois haven't gotten a real focus-on-them episode since Ambush. After that episode? They have mostly been regulated to two or three scenes together at most, dealing with an "issue," and mostly at the beginning and then at the end of an episode. Which, guess what? Is exactly what we got with them in this episode.
                  Last edited by morrigan01; 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

mod edit
                    Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:04 AM. Reason: Rule #10-arguing, rude

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
                      I'm freaking sick of the word at this point...
                      Going by the rules people lay out for "filler", I think there is roughly 3-4 episodes every season on this show that aren't filler(Season opener/closers and maybe 1-2 episodes during the season)

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
                        filler??? Maybe a bit late but filler?
                        Me too, MOD EDIT
                        Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:27 AM. Reason: Rule #10-generalizing about where the blame is going

Comment

mod edit
                          Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:10 AM. Reason: Arguing/fan-on-fan

Comment

mod edit
                            Last edited by Vergon6; 05-02-2011, 02:11 AM. Reason: Arguing/Fan-on-Fan talk

Comment

The problem this season is that many episodes had just about 10-20% of continuity, while the rest of 80% was useless stuff just happening for no sound reason. So due to this little continuity thrown in, it is hard to call the episodes fillers. Nonetheless they feel like fillers because the storyline is so disjoint, besides being just written to bring back former characters for the sake of it, or new DC characters although these do not really advance Clarkīs story.

To me itīs a very big shame that so many iconic features of Clark like his secret identity have been relegated to the B-plot of otherwise useless episodes, and thus dealt with most superficially. And others like his role and accomplishments as a journalist have been ignored almost entirely. An origins story should not gloss over such important things.

And there are other things that have never been really explained like Jor-Elīs change of mind in Kent. As long as such things are ignored, episodes like Dominion are a big waste of time to me because they do nothing for the main story. And, yes, I admit that I think that an episode devoted to a useless character like Ollie is a waste too, in particular this late in the season.

Comment

^^ Thank You ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎