Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this episode necessary or pointless?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this episode reinforced many of Clark's new developments.
    First, Clark is just not going to kill, even when he has the advantage and even when the whole point is to fight to the death... he's just not going to do it.

Second, Clark really did learn from Jor-el's mind reading test. Clark was able to properly assess the situation and know how Zod would think.

Third, even Clark admitted to thinking a bit more like a Kryptonian than as a human. All of this series (i.e. Clark's life) he's run away from this other worldly self and clung on to his humanness for dear life, and now, he's accepting and using his inherent Kryptonian instincts effortlessly. That was a nice touch, IMO.

I was very pleased with Clark this episode.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by smorris040
    I guess no one picked up on the fact that he (Clark) was wearing a red cape in the fight scene for shawdowing a superman suit with red cape
    I loved that!
    I remember reading in one of Justin Hartley's interviews that he asked Welling if he'd wear something... but he didn't say what. When I saw that cape I had a fan moment. It was awesome. I always wondered what he'd look like in a red cape. He looked rather nice.
    Last edited by smallvillerocks45; 04-30-2011, 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by smorris040
      I guess no one picked up on the fact that he (Clark) was wearing a red cape in the fight scene for shawdowing a superman suit with red cape
      Really? Nice work.

Comment

filler??? Maybe a bit late but filler?

Comment

I think people forget to differentiate between fillers episodes and what they deem as "boring" or just "ok" episodes.

Just because one episode failed to get people enthralled doesn't make it a filler. And just because something is a filler doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy it.

I've seen people accuse episodes of being fillers because they were bored, even though a to

Not saying this is the case for the OP, hardly, but it's something i think people forget.

Comment

I'm freaking sick of the word at this point...

Comment

Yep exactly my problem with this whole season. It seems like their just bringing back characters not actually giving them any plot, like John Glover who is awesome but he died, cmon you cant go to an alternate universe to get him back, just like supergirl, aquaman, Jonathan (again AU) and now Zod who have come back and contributed nothing.

Comment

I'm fine with the Luthors coming back. Kent vs Luthor is the tertiary plot of the season and the secondary plot of the series. Dominion finished the Kandor storyline and used the Darkseid arc to inform Oliver's. However Isis, Harvest, Ambush, Abandoned and Fortune= filler.
                Last edited by i_need_a_new_username; 05-01-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by i_need_a_new_username
                  However Isis, Harvest, Ambush, Abandoned and Fortune= filler.
                  So basically, Clark & Lois episodes have nothing to do with progressing Superman's story forward. Interesting POV.

For example, I prefer Isis over Homecoming. It may be more cheesy, but at least it has no ambiguity in it, like oh say "You sent the woman I love away". And it also showed that despite knowing the future Clark had to make a leap of faith to finally open up to her and it was rewarded with a leap of Lois.

Another example: I prefer Ambush over Beacon because Clark and Lois fought for themselves and for each other, whilst in Beacon we get the total retcon that Chloe left so that Clark could finally "grow up" (which contradicts everything we've seen in S9). When I rewatch Beacon I always skip the entire hospital scene.

----- Added 12 Minutes later -----

If you look closely those so-called filler episodes always show Clark more happy, more relaxed than the arc episodes where he's moody and gets crapped over by everyone.

Just compare the arc episode Checkmate where Chloe goes recklessly on a field op - with Oliver's blessing - but Clark gets blamed for it by her and even Waller(!) and has to apologize vs the filler episode Escape that has a very positive vibe and where even his mortal enemy Zod acknowledges what Clark does for the world.
                  Last edited by DJ Doena; 05-01-2011, 03:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Why is the word "filler" becoming the new "overrated"?

It was not a filler ep!

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Connor_Kent
                    Clark and Lois moved into their new apartment in Metropolis, Zod was aligned with his mythos self, and Oliver with the omega symbol was advanced, as well as Darkseid's plot.

Didn't seem filler to me at all. Also, what's left other than putting on the suit and flying. There's nothing else really standing in the way between Clark becoming Superman. He's been acting quite Superman-ly since Masquerade(not counting Fortune) and is incorruptible by Darkseid. He's slowly worked on and established his dual identity in Masquerade and Booster. What else is really left to do?
                    Investigate Obama.

All jokers aside, I agree.

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by H.B.
                    well Superman is about Lex and clark becoming Superman will eventually involve Lex...so if they deal with Lex in perspective of clark they are dealing with 'superman'
                    Wait, Lois doesn't have anything to do with Superman? That's new.

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

Clark hasn't really advanced in any capacity since Homecoming so I'm not surprised.

Oh and Clois is classed as filler as it isn't necessary to a Superman origin story. However Lex is used in many Superman origin stories and it needs to be shown how he becomes the man he is destined to be. Had the show ended a few years ago a Lois cameo would have satisfied me.
                    Huh? She's in the first issue! Before even Lex. BTW: I love Lex.

----- Added 14 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by KRAM-el
                    The Finale keeps looking bleaker and bleaker to me with every passing episode -- I don't know how they can possibly end it with a win. At this point I'd call it "damage control" -- it's not whether it will be a Fail or not, just HOW BIG of a Fail...
                    I hope it airs tomorrow! Drama much? Geez, let the thing air first!
                    Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 05-01-2011, 03:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
                      Agreed

Comment

Me too...

Comment

Seriously, if there had only been one scene in this episode, showing Zod, Ursa and Non spinning off into space, it would not have been filler. I was bouncing off the walls when I saw them step down and stand beside him, and to see them in the "frame" was more than I could have hoped for!

Comment

Originally posted by Simba_Muffy
                            Huh? She's in the first issue! Before even Lex. BTW: I love Lex.
                            Action Comics #1 is not a origin story. John and Mary Kent don't appear until Superman is an adult, does that mean they adopted him then? No, because they were added retroactively. Earth- Two Superman has no origin story.

Superman: The Man of Steel- Lex does not appear.

Superboy series- Lex Luthor is friend, turned foe because Kal made an experiment go wrong.

Superman: Birthright- Lex is Clark's best friend.

Superman: Secret Origin- Lex Luthor is a passing acquaintance with Clark, acknowledges Clark as above others in their town of Smallville.

That's three out of the four origin stories Superman has and feature Luthor as a prominent character BEFORE Lois.

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                            So basically, Clark & Lois episodes have nothing to do with progressing Superman's story forward. Interesting POV.
                            It's not Superman's story, it's late twenty year old Superboy's atm

No, I'm fine with them putting the relationship stuff where it can fit into an episode, after a plot resolution, whatever, that's fine. But whole episodes, in the last season, when TPTB choose to use Superman's greatest foe, it does not belong. In this season, every episode has had to have some advancement of the relationship along with entire episodes devoted to it, while Darkseid, the secondary plot of the year has had 2, maybe 3 at a push. But the story to each of the episodes I mentioned do nothing to advance the three big story arcs of the year:

Superman
                            Darkseid
                            Kent vs Luthor.
                            Last edited by i_need_a_new_username; 05-01-2011, 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                              For example, I prefer Isis over Homecoming. It may be more cheesy, but at least it has no ambiguity in it, like oh say "You sent the woman I love away". And it also showed that despite knowing the future Clark had to make a leap of faith to finally open up to her and it was rewarded with a leap of Lois.

Just compare the arc episode Checkmate where Chloe goes recklessly on a field op - with Oliver's blessing - but Clark gets blamed for it by her and even Waller(!) and has to apologize vs the filler episode Escape that has a very positive vibe and where even his mortal enemy Zod acknowledges what Clark does for the world.
                              Interesting way of looking at the episodes. I prefer the ones that feel more ambitious in terms of Clark's journey and the overall themes and villains of the season so it's "HC" and "Checkmate" for me which both had more drama tension and action too. And I think Waller was bluffing and tauting Clark. Also good use of guest stars (Waller, Martian Manhunter, Brainiac 5) is always a plus.

----- Added 34 Minutes later -----

However Isis, Harvest, Ambush, Abandoned and Fortune= filler.
                              "Ambush" tied to the VRA and developed the Suicide Squad as villains and opposition for Clark.

"Abandoned" did the same with Darkseid('s minions). It also tied to the Luthors with Tess being added to the family tree.

The rest I agree.
                              Last edited by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow; 05-01-2011, 06:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                                Interesting way of looking at the episodes. I prefer the ones that feel more ambitious in terms of Clark's journey and the overall themes and villains of the season so it's "HC" and "Checkmate" for me which both had more drama tension and action too. And I think Waller was bluffing and tauting Clark. Also good use of guest stars (Waller, Martian Manhunter, Brainiac 5) is always a plus.
                                Sure, Checkmate had a good amount of action. But at what cost? I hate it when several characters make mistakes but Clark is always the one who has to apologize. It started with the events of Doomsday and was the recurring theme throughout the ninth season. Chloe's answer is always something half-hearted like "I think we're both a dollar short in that department." For me as a viewer it's blatantly obvious that the events of Checkmate were not Clark's fault and yet everyone acts like it is.
                                Nothing against a "Clark screwed up" episode but not if he didn't do it.
                                Then there was Clark physically threating Tess. She may or may not have deserved it but I never liked these kind of scenes.

With Homecoming I have other problems. Aside from the textual ambiguity like the above mentioned line I didn't like how the writers try to use a sledge hammer in the "punch-bowl Maddie" scene. They humiliated Lois just so that Clark can learn a lesson. And then they again used their annoying expospeak twice. The first time when Future!Lois explains to Clark how romantic his coming-out was. The whole future sequence gave me the impression that F!Lois is not aware that Clark is not F!Clark. But when she describes that day she does not reminisce with her husband on it, she explains it to someone who wasn't there.
                                And the second time is when Clark explains to Brainiac 5 (read: to the viewer) what he just learned ("what it's like with Lois and with flying"). Here a bit more vagueness wouldn't have hurt.

Don't get me wrong, Isis has the same kind of expospeak (when Oliver is hammering in what the Isis myth is about) and I don't like it either but in comparison this episode has less faults than Homecoming.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎