Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin did a great job with this one!!

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
      I think the slo-mo is written into the script and I liked it but I guess it isn't for everyone.
      I don't really know, but I wouldn't think slow-mo would be in the script. I could certainly be mistaken. I like it, but in moderation. I don't think every blow has to be slow-mo. It's a very minor thing, though. He did a great job.

Comment

I just found it ironic that the longest fight we've seen Clark in this seasonis against one of the good guys. I did like the choice of outfit they gave him in the zone. Giving Clark a red cape was a cool decision. I feel like some scenes were dragged on a little more than necessary, I didn't really get the point of Oliver in the church because it didn't set up anything just continued the idea that Oliver still had hope. I guess we could say that he was taking a vigil before embarking on a quest, but still, it seemed like a lot of screentime to not provide new information.

Comment

All-in-all it was OK, but certainly not outstanding. Taking out the "Snyder" scenes, and JH can hold his own pretty well in the director's chair. I actually like his 'style' much better than TW's, but that's probably just a personal preference...

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
            I don't really know, but I wouldn't think slow-mo would be in the script. I could certainly be mistaken. I like it, but in moderation. I don't think every blow has to be slow-mo. It's a very minor thing, though. He did a great job.
            In a shooting script, perhaps, but I've written several spec and that's a definite no-no. I think it's pretty clear why he did it (said 300 was an influence in his interview), and I've said elsewhere that I wish SV would quit with the not-so-subtle visual-lifts, but JH did fine for his first time.

A few odd editing choices (an early scene with Lois & Clark seemed to have an abrupt cut, almost everything with Lois & Tess was awkward, like he used the first takes, Zod and Ollie as well as Lois & Clark at the end went on too long, especially the Lois & Clark scene. I was literally waving my hand like "Wrap it up, B! Wrap. It. Up!").

Comment

Originally posted by SpitCurl
              In a shooting script, perhaps, but I've written several spec and that's a definite no-no. I think it's pretty clear why he did it (said 300 was an influence in his interview), and I've said elsewhere that I wish SV would quit with the not-so-subtle visual-lifts, but JH did fine for his first time.

A few odd editing choices (an early scene with Lois & Clark seemed to have an abrupt cut, almost everything with Lois & Tess was awkward, like he used the first takes, Zod and Ollie as well as Lois & Clark at the end went on too long, especially the Lois & Clark scene. I was literally waving my hand like "Wrap it up, B! Wrap. It. Up!").
              I noticed all these things too (good eye). And you're spot-on about slo-mo not being (at least) in the script. That's a director's and editor's decision in in coordination with post-production...

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                The writer also wrote Checkmate and Patriot and there was slow-mo in those episodes as well so that's why I think it is a writer's preference. I could always be wrong as I'm guessing here.

Comment

I thought he did an amazing job!

Comment

Originally posted by momo6995
                    I thought he did a fine job, but I am surprised that they would let him direct so close to the end of the series(3 episodes), considering I don't think he has ever directed before.
                    I am pretty sure Hartley directed Sacrifice in season 9. That was his Smallville directing debut.

Comment

He didn't direct Sacrifice, he just wrote a bit. Or if anything

Comment

the slow mo bit is kinda cheesy though. I cringed watching that haha

Comment

Great job in the director's chair! No big deal that it's so close to the end, though. Hmmmm, let's see who directs the finale (no spoilers, even on that, please). Some of the fight scenes really reminded me of the Starz/Encore production of "Spartacus" (with all the slow motion hits...which I guess is just a take on The Matrix anyway...)

In the 1950s George Reeves got to direct 3 eps of The Adventures Of Superman toward the end of its run. George could've had a great career as a director, I think....

Comment

Justin Hartley's first outing as director was great and that's not an issue. The issue has always been the writing.

Comment

Good job Justin.

Comment

Justin is a good writer and director. I specifically loved his writing in Sacrifice. Imo best episode of season 9.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎