Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clark's non- Superfighting portrayal....?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark's non- Superfighting portrayal....?

I'm a serious Special FX addict and super fight addict- I seriously could watch this show just for the powers/Entity FX's work on Smallville because of how good they are- but someone recently on here noted something that probably occurs a bit- ther's a lot of potential that isn't taken too much in these later seasons of Smallville

Superfights- Clark doesn't do a lot of SUPERFIGHTING? No punching enemies into the stratosphere,or "bulldozing"them at ten times light lightspeed a couple dozen times

I'm aware they've probably/have finished filming, but I wonder- since the new Superman movie's focus was to have Clark "punching something"(not that Routh did bad at all- heck, points for him for the excellent Knite Resistance)

My thoughts are this- most superfights are Short this season- even compared to say, some of the bigger ones in S6 and so on. Minus things like Doomsday where DC/Warner Bros interfered and wouldn't let Clark successfully throw a punch at the time(thatparticular embargo has been dropped this season.)

Should SV have added a little bit more power behind their final Season's Clark

I'm conflicted- because S10's had 2 setups now where it could almost be said he's more superman-ish by not fighting- example
    Something from the SCION THread
    Originally posted by MrZeppo
    Clark wasn't battered, all Conner managed to do was throw him around. Clark wasn't even phased. Was Clark bleeding at all? Was he ever stagger to get up? Did Conner punch him into the stratosphere?

No, no and no.

Look, I understand wanting to see Clark be badass. I want Clark to beat Darkseid down in the finale. I desperately want a superfight. But not the silly examples I've been seeing in this thread.

Because Clark, our Clark, is NOT a showoff. And I have to admit I am tired of people embellishing how bad Clark got "owned" by Conner. People act like Conner needed to get put down hard. They are arguing that Clark should have showed off and knocked Conner on his ass, shown him who is boss and how it's all done. But I think that stinks of arrogance and is not who Clark is.

This fight wasn't even a fight. It reminded me of a tantruming child blowing off steam on a parent.

For example, my nephew is a sweet 6 year old kid, 95% of the time he's one of the most well behaved kids ever. I love him so much that I would die to protect him, I really would. But he's a kid, dealing with childlike emotions. Sometimes he gets riles up and upset and doesn't even known why. When he gets mad or cranky does he act out? Yes. I once had to put him in a timeout for hitting his sister. He was so mad at me that he kept kicking me and I took it. Because I am a man, I am a grownup. I can take it.

Going by people's logic here I should have hit him back? Showing off my superior strength and fighting ability against a child? That's ridiculous. I could seriously hurt him. Because he is a child. And what kind of person would that make me? How petty would I have to be to need to beat on a child to make myself feel/look better? It's the same in this case. Could Clark have beaten Conner's butt down? Yes, obviously, we all know he can. He could have killed Conner if he wanted to. But should he? Is that what makes a man a Superman?

I don't think so.

Same thing with him vs Clark Luthor....

Surely there's some will to wow your audience beyond anything any movie/show has put out within the last decade- since you have the most powerful FX since the Matrix and could rival today's attempts such as TRON- and yes, SV does deserve that credit during it's 10 seasons... So why not remind us that he's SUPERMAN, a herald -level guy who sometimes does big things?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by tippership commander; 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM.

It mainly has to do with the fact that the CW gave them such a lousy budget.

Comment

Ya, one word BUDGET. I think they do the best they can and actually squeeze a penny to give us more. Efficiency saves money and after ten years, actors and crews work like clockwork. I'm not gonna complain since I'm happy we get what we get.

Comment

Granted, the budget is hampering them down from doing as much as they could have back in the day when they had a better budget, I'm quite impressed that the show has been able to give a logical reason as to why Clark has been more passive in his last few fights.

Clark had no intention on fighting Connor or CL since his goal was to simply get them to calm down and talk through to them, which he was able to do

Comment

Originally posted by protector91
          It mainly has to do with the fact that the CW gave them such a lousy budget.
          Then the single biggest thing holding thme back has been CW/Warner Bros/DC not giving them a bigger budget- which is a utter rip- almost the biggest they could do, considering they BADLY need Superman's image profile raised, what with the legal issues, the fiasco after the writers strike, all the other.... <_< >_> stuff going on ..

The embargos...the restrictions "Clark cannot throw a successful punch at Doomsday" ...

ugh...

Comment

The season is all talk, no action.

Clark could fight in every episode powerless if the writers wanted to. Throw a fake punch here and there and I don't think the budget would be affected.

The lack of any dynamic events in many episodes make them lackluster ("Kent" especially). The stories and the way they are told are hardly worth the watch alone.

For a show without any fights we get to see Clark beat up a lot. It doesn't heighten the tension, it makes the writers look lazy and like they hate Superman or something...oh, I mean Clark Kent...

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
              The season is all talk, no action.

Clark could fight in every episode powerless if the writers wanted to. Throw a fake punch here and there and I don't think the budget would be affected.

The lack of any dynamic events in many episodes make them lackluster ("Kent" especially). The stories and the way they are told are hardly worth the watch alone.

For a show without any fights we get to see Clark beat up a lot. It doesn't heighten the tension, it makes the writers look lazy and like they hate Superman or something...oh, I mean Clark Kent...
              And every fight doesnt have to be slow motion

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well fights in SV are over in a blink of an eye except for episodes like "Salvation" so I don't know if slow-mo is a problem. That would get tiresome too, though.

Comment

It would be tiresome, but since they never do it, it can't be tiresome. JLU had one or two fights an episode and it was far superior to this show. Remember the promises of a Doomsday/Blur fight all season while we complained about how terrible the second half was. Don't worry, there will be a big fight to make up for everything, it lasted two minutes if that and made no sense. Same thing with Zod last year, we get to see Clark and Zod go at it for two minutes albeit with a decent cliffhanger, still the same as Doomsday.

They pretty much shot themselves in the foot with doing the slow-mo fights early on. It would be fine for one or two parts of the fight, but they keep thinking the Matrix special effects was releveant past 2002 when it was just a two trick pony. You want to see tiresome fights the Matrix sequels have you covered. You can scream budget all you want, but I have seen shows like Babylon 5 have better fights with half the budget Smallville has and lesser technology. Its due to the writers wanting to show off their "writing" skills instead of showing off the stunt team's skills to solve all of Clark's problems. It feels like a Gilmore Girl episode at times with this show.

Comment

I really thing CW gave them a whack budget so they saving so they can go all out in the finale

Comment

For what it's worth- the FX drew me to this show- i started watching regularly in season 4- and SLOWMOTION/Clarktime NEVER gets old.

Besides, how could you get bored when NOW, later on, S5 and onwards- Clark's powers are so strong that it'd be far different from him simply moving and watching bullets moving slowly-

he'd be watching light beams frozen or slow motino, electricity- etc, like in artic and Identity

He'd be demonstrating his even stronger strength now- which at this point is something insane.

He'd be giving Bart Allen a run for his money(Current Superman is right now pretty fast, after the Time masters fight he had managingmake kara to catch Zoom), he'd make Kara and Jonn look like weaksauce-

Heck, how often does he use his breath moves?
                      his Knite and magic resistance(points to SV for showing decent magic resistance during the past 2 seasons, but the knite---ARGH) should be way better than earlier- i mean, i shouldnt be able to KO him jusst by tossing him a piece of Knite the size of a Fingernail- heck, he's HELD bigger pieces than that on the show and managed fine..

Flight? Eh, It's coming- so that's that- but i've got serious issues with every other ability he has.
                      yea, i know, i know, this season he prefers to use smart plans, adn thus doesnt seem to "get" into superfights- but he never did.....to begin with

With Warner/DC/CW restricting how they could use Doomsday, and with Darkseid taking a more abstract form- where's our mega fights?

There's REASONS Justice was one of the best, episodes in this show. I mean, look at all the positiv feedback even other ones like Legion, Absolute Justice, and Homecoming got them.

Dare to dream big- because it's worth it to risk it all for something than die with nothing. that's akin to what clark said(though not exact), comon guys!

And yea, Warner bros not giving Sv a bigger budget was inane- probably as inane as their decision to almost kill off the Justice League movie.

what happened to going big? YOu know, Smallville rivals the Matrix, but it could exceed it directly and show it's still relevant in a post-matrix world.

Smallville needs a last hurrah to finish strong. It can be done.

Lol, and while I'm a massive fan of the Matrix- I'd get tired of rewatching the matrix(though a few things never get old) These days I'd probably spam watching tron XD(not tranformers if i wanted FX, it's good, but...doesnt have the wow factor)

Oh, and yes- the Justice League is underutilized. HAlf because of the stupid Embargos(Character protection huh? Is that why they are not going to have the dark knight rising use the same actors or methods as Justice League? What's going on up there?)

Comment

Originally posted by tippership commander
                        There's REASONS Justice was one of the best, episodes in this show. I mean, look at all the positiv feedback even other ones like Legion, Absolute Justice, and Homecoming got them.
                        I agree so much with this and would add "Salvation" to the list.

SV is at it's best when it takes elements from DC and the Donner movies and putting it's own spin on things!

Comment

i agree there wasnt that much use of powers in the last few seasons...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎