No announcement yet.

Why must Clark shed his past?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shedding his past?

He isn't shedding his past, he's moving on from it. Remember in HC, Clark said "You said to hold on to Smallville. I will. I won't ever forget." He has to move on, but he won't ever forget his past life in Smallville.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Blue85
    That's too bad. In Lois and Clark, Clark held onto his past and clearly stated that Clark is who he is and Superman is what he can do. I wish SV took that route.
    Not every Superman story takes the L&C route. Thank God.
    Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 04-17-2011, 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well Clark isn't supposed to be living in Smallville. That's Ma and Pa Kent's territory really, and will likely return to that I believe.

He's growing, letting go of the barn Clark to a progressive transgression into who he is going to be. It's likely to symbolize the end and it's time to leave the nest. Smallville will always be there and that house will be sitting on the market for a little while, but i think it won't end up being sold, or rather the buyer familiar. Maybe Martha comes back and is like what the hell, I didn't send you the deed to sell the house! I just wanted you to put it away in your secret stash in the barn! or something because Clark assumed that's what Martha was implying.

Comment

You can't live in the past... that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
          You can't live in the past... that's why.
          Pretty much, and he's also said the past has been holding him back.

Comment

Learn from and let go of the past.
            Hope for the future.
            Live in the present.

Comment

Moving out of the farm shouldn't be the same as selling a house that's been with the Kent's for generations.

He should have given the farm to Conner. Smallville will be his precinct anyways while Clark is in Metropolis.

The farm should have atleast stayed like a summer cottage to Lois and Clark, not to mention Martha. What they did was really uncool and thoughtless. They didn't even give the house a proper farewell.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                It's entirely possible something could happen between now and the finale that makes them keep the farm after all, so there's not necessarily an inconsistency just yet.
                I agree. They haven't sold the farm yet. It might very well be that when Martha withdraw from pilitics she will return to farm and Conner will be staying with her. (At least I would like to see it happen this way.)

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                  Moving out of the farm shouldn't be the same as selling a house that's been with the Kent's for generations.

He should have given the farm to Conner. Smallville will be his precinct anyways while Clark is in Metropolis.

The farm should have atleast stayed like a summer cottage to Lois and Clark, not to mention Martha. What they did was really uncool and thoughtless. They didn't even give the house a proper farewell.
                  Farm hasn't even been sold yet, and I think don't he's going to sell it. When Martha and Conner come back in the finale, I don't if Conner is going to be shown onscreen, but anyway, I believe they're going to live there.
                  Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 04-17-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simba_Muffy
                    Farm hasn't even been sold yet, and I don't he's going to sell it.
                    Then why make the whole episode about Clark and Lois selling the farm if it's not going to even happen? That just makes the whole episode pointless imo.

There was nothing in "Kent" that needed to be solved that "Luthor" already didn't do...well except Lionel...who didn't show up here

Comment

Lois doesn't have superspeed, and I'm sure Clark doesn't carry her to work every day.
                      Exactly, which would mean that Lois would have to drive for three hours, just to get to work. So, if she starts work at 9am, she has to be in her car before 6am (and who's to say, she doesn't end up in a traffic jam, at some point, which delays her considerably?). And as a reporter, there's no garantee that she could leave work at 5pm (unexpected overtime can always happen, due to a last minute press conference or incident, that she has to cover). If she'd actually get in her car at exactly 5pm (and there's no traffic jam or any kind of problem), she wouldn't get home until 8pm. Meaning that, as she'd have to get up around 4am the next day (to eat breakfast, take a shower, etc), she would barely have two hours free time, before she needs to go to sleep.

However, with an apartment in Metropolis, she'd have less then an hours commute. Meaning, she could leave home at 8am and be home around 6pm. Nobody just wants to just go to work in the morning, then go home in the evening, sleep and then start over again the next day (though, I grew up in a small town, that was built on that idea... But, wait it doesn't work. Because youngesters my age moves away, once they've finished school to go to larger areas, where there's more to do. Not just jobs, but also places to be in your spare time. In that town, there's only three food stores, if you wanna buy so much as one pair of socks, you'll have to commute for at least 30 minutes, to one of the larger towns).

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

It's entirely possible something could happen between now and the finale that makes them keep the farm after all, so there's not necessarily an inconsistency just yet.
                      That's true. And I remember, when I sold my parents old house. It took me nearly a year to get it sold. A few times earlier, my parents had planned to sell the house and put it on the market, but nothing happened, so they gave up.
                      So, just because Clark currently intends to sell the farm, doesn't mean he'll get it sold right away. Meaning, he can very well change his mind, when no potential buyers makes a bid.

I attempted to sell an ordinary house, with school and kindergarten nearby (ideal for a family with kids). Still took almost a year and I had to lower the prize, twice.
                      Clark's going to attempt to sell a farm. He wants to preserve the farm, so he'll reject any bid from a corporation who wants to tare it down and build a factory. Some buyers might not wanna pay as much as Clark wants for it. Not to mention, would there be anyone right now, who'd wanna buy a farm, in Smallville? The odds of someone actually looking for a farm in that region, at this moment and Clark's actually had it sold before the finale are less then zero. The Kent farm would likely be something that would have to be on the market for years, before a buyer comes (by which time, Martha's back at the farm and it's not anymore on the market).
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 04-17-2011, 07:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I agree with those who hope he doesn't sell the farm. It is a "family tradition". His father loved that land and his father before him. Clark loves that farm. Clark doesn't have to sell the farm to move on. If that decision was merely symbolic that Clark has truly moved on and embraced his destiny, then why is it necessary to sell it? To avoid temptations to revert back to the mopey, secretive, fearful Clark? I don't think so. That farm represents more than his past. It represents all the trials and lessons, heartbreaks, and joy that have melded together to make Clark who he is. And is represents the present. He doesn't have to live there. He doesn't have to work the farm. He doesn't have to make Lois drive to Metropolis to work. They can and should (like in the comics) live in Metropolis. To me, selling the farm seems like turning his back on his past. If nothing else, the last episode proves Clark has matured, has attained that level headed decision making skill, and can see through the obvious to get at the truth. Maybe in the past, Clark has taken refuge at the farm when he should have been out and about his destiny. That is not the case now. The farm isn't holding him back. I believe he is there. There at the threshold of his future.

Comment

Maybe Ben Hubbard will buy the farm from Clark. Doesn't he already have the "back 40"? He probably wouldn't tear the place down and actually preserve the farm. That would be ideal for Clark I think.

Comment

I think the farm will be sold or they wouldn't have set it up this way. Jonathan is gone and so are the family ties. Martha doesn't want to live there, it reminds her of Jonathan. Clark is too busy to have to take care of it while working, doing hero duties and making a life with Lois. In the beginning of the episode, time restraints was an issue. It's better to see someone who will live in the house, maybe raise a family, take care of the land, rather than let it sit empty deteriorating. Sure Clark could run/fly back and forth to take care of it but he shouldn't have to worry about it while doing everything else. The money from the farm will help them pay for their new place and give them some security. I think it will be sold with Martha's blessing. After she is done with politics, I would like to see her get an apartment in Metropolis where she can visit with Lois and Clark and not be so lonely so far away living on a farm that would only give her headaches to maintain. I know because I live on a small farm, and the upkeep is a real pain sometimes. The only way I can stay is because my son helps me....Anyway, did anyone think the apartment that AU Martha Kent was living in is the same apartment that Lois and Clark is renting?

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                              Then why make the whole episode about Clark and Lois selling the farm if it's not going to even happen? That just makes the whole episode pointless imo.

There was nothing in "Kent" that needed to be solved that "Luthor" already didn't do...well except Lionel...who didn't show up here
                              You have a good point. It would be a waste to use the entire episode to tease about selling the farm when it turns out it's not going to happen. It'd be unnecessary.

Comment

I think you are right. It appears to be a done deal. Clark and Lois are resigned to it and I guess Martha washed her hands of the farm when she gave it to Clark and Lois. I grew up on a farm and the workload is unbelievable, but so are the rewards. I hope that he decides to keep it, but really believe that the farm will be sold.

Perhaps I am attached to the farm and it is my own loss I am lamenting. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎