No announcement yet.

Why must Clark shed his past?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why must Clark shed his past?

I'm a bit disappointed that TPTB feel that Clark must become a non-entity, separated from his past to become Superman.
    1. He gives up his father's watch in Reunion. Why was that necessary?
    2. He says "Clark Kent is just a name"
    3. He decides to sell the farm. Why not discuss it with his mother or hold onto the farm as a respite. It's not like he can't afford to hold onto the farm if he wants it -- there's two incomes and a billionaire friend to help out if needed.

I just don't think having reminders of the past prevents someone from embracing their future.

That's one of the points of the show. In order for Clark to become Superman, he has to let go of his past at least most of it as this episode illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by vantheman77
      That's one of the points of the show. In order for Clark to become Superman, he has to let go of his past at least most of it as this episode illustrated.
      That's too bad. In Lois and Clark, Clark held onto his past and clearly stated that Clark is who he is and Superman is what he can do. I wish SV took that route.

Comment

I wish so to. I liked Homecoming in that he realized it wasn't his fault JK died and he had to let it go, but not forget it. That grave scene made no indication that he would never return to the grave. I don't get why he can't live there and work in Metropolis. So Martha is worried that her son doesn't live close enough to his job and apparently Smallville is on Pluto because a guy with superspeed obviously can't get anywhere fast enough in the world. Makes no sense. It's one thing if Martha bought a condo or house for them, but their reasoning made no sense.

Comment

Lois doesn't have superspeed, and I'm sure Clark doesn't carry her to work every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue85
            That's too bad. In Lois and Clark, Clark held onto his past and clearly stated that Clark is who he is and Superman is what he can do. I wish SV took that route.
            Well Smallville is not 'Lois and Clark'. Why do the same interpretation of Superman twice? Also keep in mind the Clark in L&C did not know much about his Kryptonian routes [until much later] and there was no fortress of solitude so the point of views are going to be very different.

Comment

If they stated that it would be easier for Lois, then it would make more sense. But Clark needing to be closer doesn't make any sense.

Comment

I agree, I hate the way the writers are going about this. IT feels like his past has no significance to his future. I liked how he played the hero in season 8-10 while still residing in Smallville and staying true to his roots. I felt in "Oddessey" , it showed he was moving on when he said "I've been holding on to a life here that hasn't existed for years." I think him realizing that he was destined to save the world was all the "moving on" he needed.
                Last edited by lexluthor408; 04-16-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I see why they have to live in Metropolis, but why not hang on to the farm for getaways? Besides, it has been in the Kent family for generations.

Comment

I thought Clark specifically said the distance didn't really matter for him. I think it would, though. Sure, it's only a few more seconds, but it's just a nuisance to have to run that much farther when you don't have to, not to mention the farm chores that must be completed. I think of it like having a road that you drive on a regular basis closed or something. You have to take a slight detour, but it might only slow you down by about two minutes, which is nothing, but it's still annoying. I think Clark having to run from Smallville to Metropolis every day is like having to take that detour.

Comment

It's not like Clark doesn't cherish his memories in Smallville - he loves his father and mother for loving him and helping to guide him, but as he told Lois, he thought he'd lose himself if he let things like the farm go. The thing is, those memories and the way he felt when he was with his family is what makes him the spectacular person he is. Names (that they arbitrarily bestowed on him), things (like a house), they're materialistic things that help him live on Earth in peace, but the love and the lessons he learned from the people in his past (and the love he currently has with Lois) are things he'll always have with him, whether he lives on the farm or on Metropolis.

Personally, I do hope that Clark ends up keeping the farm, because it will be a nice retirement location for Martha, it's a family staple, and it grounds him... but for the public facade, I do believe the Metropolis apartment is a good idea.
                      Last edited by smallvillerocks45; 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I think Martha will retire from political life and return to the farm.

Comment

There is an inconsistency. In `Homecoming´ Future Lois told Presence Clark that some of his kryptonian gadgets are at the barn. That indicates that they kept the farm. I would like it more if they just sell the fields and keep the farmhouse and the barn.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornelia
                            There is an inconsistency. In `Homecoming´ Future Lois told Presence Clark that some of his kryptonian gadgets are at the barn. That indicates that they kept the farm. I would like it more if they just sell the fields and keep the farmhouse and the barn.
                            It's entirely possible something could happen between now and the finale that makes them keep the farm after all, so there's not necessarily an inconsistency just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                              It's entirely possible something could happen between now and the finale that makes them keep the farm after all, so there's not necessarily an inconsistency just yet.
                              Agreed

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎