Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Lana ever really satisified with her relationships?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoisL
    Yeah, good point, borednow. I guess then there is hope for her because IMO in S8, Lana really is happier with who she is. It took stealing superpowers and becoming a superhero, but she seemed more at peace with her life.
    Strangely I agree... I think perhaps that's why she left so easily when the time came... she had in a strange way figured things out.

Comment

I think Lana was generally satisfied and happy with Jason, before his mother and Lex started to interfere and then they turned Jason into a psycho so... Jason seemed to kinda snap when he saw Lana with Clark in Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by mirandalynn22
        No, Lana was always searching for something, she was searching for the person who could love her the way she needed to be loved. That wasn't Clark, Lex (even though I think it could have been.) Jason, Whitney. She never found her soulmate on the show, that much was clear because it seemed no matter what with any of her relationships there was just something missing.
        I think Lana's main problem was that most of her life she had been the little girl who lost everyone she loved, and never felt people could give her the kind of love her parents did. She lacked love growing up, and she couldn't find anyone that was able to fullfill that void, because the truth is: no one ever could. It happens a lot when people lose one or both parents early in life. They tend to have a romantic idea of their parent's love as the most perfect and fullfilling thing in the world, and no matter what, no one is ever able to measure up to their expectation of what love should be. That is why she was never able to accept completely Nell's love for her, and why she wasn't ever happy with someone for long. The truth is Lana was unable to fully love and accept herself, and because of that, she felt no one could ever love her the way she needed to be loved.

In a way, even though I don't like the kryptonite suit plot for several reasons, I felt that was the first arc where Lana finally found some peace. It all started with the need to become someone she believed Clark could love, because, oddly enough, with that much love Clark felt for Lana, she still didn't felt he loved her enough. And by trying to become someone she felt Clark could love, she became someone she could love. She ended up by becoming a person she could admire and respect, as she admired and respected Clark. And IMO, from that moment on, Lana was finally in peace with herself, and therefore, free to really be in a relationship without needing someone to fullfill a void inside herself.

Comment

Originally posted by liana
          I think Lana's main problem was that most of her life she had been the little girl who lost everyone she loved, and never felt people could give her the kind of love her parents did. She lacked love growing up, and she couldn't find anyone that was able to fullfill that void, because the truth is: no one ever could. It happens a lot when people lose one or both parents early in life. They tend to have a romantic idea of their parent's love as the most perfect and fullfilling thing in the world, and no matter what, no one is ever able to measure up to their expectation of what love should be. That is why she was never able to accept completely Nell's love for her, and why she wasn't ever happy with someone for long. The truth is Lana was unable to fully love and accept herself, and because of that, she felt no one could ever love her the way she needed to be loved.
          An interesting point. When you think about it, this was the girl who for the better part of 12 years (at least) would regularly go to her parents grave and have pretend conversations with them. Not simply talking to them, but pretending that they actually talked back to her. She lost them at an early age and all she had was a fantasy of Laura and Lewis Lang. In "Craving", she claims that her parents had a tradition for her birthday (given that she's said to have only been three at the time of their deaths, it seems unlikely that she's remember that). Maybe it was all in her head?

It may also explain some of her romantic choices:

First there was Whitney. Probably born 1984, as he was a senior by the spring of 2002. Whereas Lana was a freshman.

Then there was Adam Knight. His age was never addressed, but he was able to live alone at the Talon. So, probably 18+ by 2004.

Jason Teague's age wasn't established. However, in "Facade", he and Clark refers to Jason's freshman year at Met U. So, he was, at least, a sophmore. Flashback in "Veritas" shows a young Jason playing with Lex (born 1980), Oliver (born 1980) and Patricia Swann (born 1982). Seeing as he was still in college in 2004, he was probably born around 1983 (depending on what he was studying).

As mentioned above, Lex was born 1980 (source: "Craving"). In "Cool", she gets upset because Whitney wants to spend time with his friends, rather than going at a museum with her. Maybe she wasn't looking for a boyfriend, by dating these older guys. Could she have attempted (on a subconcious level) to find a father stand-in? Someone to fill that gap left after Lewis Lang. A man, whom Lana only had a fantasy of. Then her relationships were doomed to fail, because, not only was she looking for a substitute dad (instead of a boyfriend), but no one could ever messure up to the imagination of her father. Kinda also explains why we never heard from Henry Small again. He couldn't messure up to her ideal of Lewis Lang, the perfect father.

In a way, even though I don't like the kryptonite suit plot for several reasons, I felt that was the first arc where Lana finally found some peace.
          I disagree. "Power" came across like she was changing herself FOR Clark. In "Requiem", she said that she wants to go out on patrol with him. When you factor in the possibility that she's spent much of her life looking for a father substitute, the whole thing seems to become her trying to turn Clark into her father. A man, whom she couldn't be with for the longest time, because he kept something from her... Whereas the perfect father would never keep anything from her. Never lie to her.

S8 didn't bring her peace. It might just have been Lana following the same pattern as usual (she often changed her persona, based on whomever she dated). "Valkyrie" (the season 11 comic) might have brought her some peace: As she notes, after having lost her powers, that she's never felt stronger. Making it possible, that in the years between "Requiem" and season 11 (2011-2012), she's grown as a person. Been able to move on. Of course, no longer behind in Smallville might have helped. While in Smallville, she held onto the past. She couldn't escape it. Physical locations and the people around her constantly reminded her of the parents she had lost. But, having been gone from the town for a few years, she wasn't constantly being reminded of the past.

Moving away from Smallville probably did her a lot of good. In Smallville, she was the girl who had lost her parents. Seasons 1-3, she ran the Talon (the place where her parents had met), then lived there for season four. The Talon just happens to be across the street from where her parents had been killed. How could she ever move on, during these circumstances?
          Last edited by jon-el87; 01-16-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎