No announcement yet.

Freshman year - Sense this makes none

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshman year - Sense this makes none

I wonder why the producers thought it was a good idea to start the show in their freshman year instead of sophomore or even junior.

Whitney graduated at the end of the year, so he was at least a senior. Is it really realistic that he's dated a junior high student before the season began?

And how come that Chloe is already editor of the Torch? Not one person in four years worth of students interested beside her?

Do I need to point out that they are all driving cars at the age of 14/15?

In general I think most highschool shows have the problem that the characters are somehow "big men on campus" in the first year. I don't think Smallville was as bad as say 90210 or Saved by the Bell, but the whole Lana/Whitney or Chloe being editor do stand out in that regard. The driving thing as well comes across funny.

Comment

Buffy managed to circumvent that problem. Xander became "wheel man" in the third season - their senior year. Still they never had a problem getting anywhere and I figure that Sunnydale is about the same size as Smallville.

Comment

I always found it weird that the Daily Planet(which we are lead to believe at that time was 6 hours away) would go all the way to some hick town to find a 14 year old coffee pusher.

In all honesty why wouldn't they just hire somebody out of college for starters, but there also would be the issue that if they bring somebody there that person has to worry about living arrangements which could be a big hassle. The whole idea that the Daily Planet did a state wide search for a 14/15 year old intern just never seemed realistic

Comment

Don't forget that Lana was apparently a shoo-in for Homecoming Queen.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
            Don't forget that Lana was apparently a shoo-in for Homecoming Queen.
            Well she only needs month to garner all the votes due to her wonderful personality

Comment

I don't know what the law is in Kansas, but in South Dakota where I live if you live on a farm you can get your drivers license at 14.

The other stuff I can't explain though. The Whitney and Lana aspect creeps me out a little.

Comment

Originally posted by superfan11
                I don't know what the law is in Kansas, but in South Dakota where I live if you live on a farm you can get your drivers license at 14.
                Well that explains Clark(although I am assuming the farmers license is under the condition you drive with an adult) but not Pete and Chloe.

I have checked online for Kansas driving rules and it does seem like people under 16 can drive under special conditions but on Smallville they broke those conditions(mainly you can only drive during the day being the big one)

Comment

Originally posted by superfan11

The other stuff I can't explain though. The Whitney and Lana aspect creeps me out a little.

only a difference of three years, not much. its a small town, every body knows everybody, no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueRanger
                    only a difference of three years, not much. its a small town, every body knows everybody, no big deal.
                    4 years, Lana was in her first year, Whitney in his last. What made it creepy is the fact that when the show first starts we are like a month into the new school year and it seems like the Lana-Whitney relationship is not a new thing. That basically means the High School QB was so desperate for a gf that he had to patrol JR high. What I found creepier was later in the Season when Freshman Lana mentioned how she did Senior Whitney's homework (which begs to question if she can do homework at that level what the hell is she doing as a freshman)

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                      4 years, Lana was in her first year, Whitney in his last. What made it creepy is the fact that when the show first starts we are like a month into the new school year and it seems like the Lana-Whitney relationship is not a new thing. That basically means the High School QB was so desperate for a gf that he had to patrol JR high. What I found creepier was later in the Season when Freshman Lana mentioned how she did Senior Whitney's homework (which begs to question if she can do homework at that level what the hell is she doing as a freshman)
                      That's hilarious but it's true.

Comment

Well if we look at a sister show - the Vampire Diaries - the HS Seniors run the town -

must be a TV land thing

Comment

How bout a 23 year old giant playing a 14 year old freshman.

Comment

Well she only needs month to garner all the votes due to her wonderful personality
                            As a freshman, no less. I'm assuming this is universal, but at my school, the Homecoming Queen had to be a senior. A freshman ends up on the Homecoming Court, along with each other grade, but the Queen herself is a senior. That must mean Lana is unbelievably awesome, and even the school administration is smitten with her.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

If Lana's a freshman and Whitney's a senior, that puts them three years apart (give or take when their birthdays fall within the school year). I think it's weird, but it's not all that uncommon. Agreed on the other points, especially the homework part.
                            Last edited by nate-dog1701d; 04-10-2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

When is the first time it is mentioned they are freshman? In the pilot I always assumed they were Sophomores and not Freshman. If they say they are freshman in that episode I just totally missed it. If its not said in the pilot it may have been a retroactive decision to make them sophomores once the show premiered huge and they knew it would stay around a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎