Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Fringe's 4th Season Renewal Affect V?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Fringe's 4th Season Renewal Affect V?

Ok I hope the mods don't move this or think it's something I did wrong I have noticed the mods are on top of everything here, which is fine, in any case Fringe was renewed for a 4th season Monday yet the show has taken a nose dive in ratings worst than V, Fringe has rated in it's third season numbers 4 mill and below V has not become that bad at any point. So I ask this, is Fringe cheaper to make than V? And before you go screaming yea remember I would say most of what we "see" on V is green screen they don't make sets, they don't build ship models it's all computer made. Is V that expensive? How expensive is Fringe if they decided to renew it when it clearly is not doing well, Fringe from the ratings did worst than V.

FOX and ABC are different networks and Fringe and V are different shows, with different quality, timeslot, and critical praise.

I hate to say it because I am a HUGE fan of V, but our shows hasn't been as widely accepted as great Television, whereas Fringe has been. Critics love Fringe and it has a pretty good fanbase (even though there's not enough of them among the Nielsen viewers). I think WB is fighting for them to reach the syndication number (100 episodes or so), so the further they can push them, the better off things will be.

V doesn't have the syndication (only 22 episodes) and critical advantage that Fringe does.

Fringe airs on Friday and has different competition than V faced this season in its Tuesday timeslot. I would argue that V did a lot better in comparison because it actually faced tough competition vs. Fringe's Fridays, but again, different networks and different expectations make all the difference.

The show that could make or break another season for V is actually Body of Proof. If it succeeds on ABC, it could bump V out, but if it fails to be a hit, that makes V look so much better to the network since V did better than, what...six of ABC's freshman dramas?

Some have spec'ed that the delay of Terra Nova could have impacted Fringe's renewal as well, so in some ways, that could be compared to how V could be impacted by how well or how poorly Body of Proof does.
    Last edited by savingpeoplething; 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Plus ABC numbers dont equate to FOX numbers ratings wise because FOX has fewer affiliates. If they both got the exact same number FOX might consider that number good while ABC might consider it bad.

Comment

I watch Fringe and V. This year Fringe took a step backwards, V actually was much better this season. I know some of the critics are more accepting of Fringe than V. V is campy and does not take themselves so seriously as Fringe may appear too. I was hoping Fringe would be the show that would fill the void of Lost it does not . V has been pure entertainment. I believe V will be back for a third season and has been renewed just has not been announced, even if Body of Proof manages to be some what successfull. I would be more shocked by abc if V was not renewed just because it has such a loyal fan base, and they at the network are using dvr numbers to justify tv ratings. 2.4/6 is pretty good for a Sy-Fi show with 3 female leads.

Comment

I watched Body of Proof last night, I liked it...a lot

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Body of Proof did 13+ million viewers but critics are mixed on the show
          Last edited by Johnb; 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I sill do not believe that BOP has anything to do with V being renewed for a third season. BOP has a great lead in. V survived on it's own with very little advertising. BOP/abc has been promoting this show for 8 weeks. BOP lost 3 million viewers half way thru the show. V gained viewers in the second half. V also premiered with a 5.0 and 14 or 16 millin viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by suliete
              I sill do not believe that BOP has anything to do with V being renewed for a third season. BOP has a great lead in. V survived on it's own with very little advertising. BOP/abc has been promoting this show for 8 weeks. BOP lost 3 million viewers half way thru the show. V gained viewers in the second half. V also premiered with a 5.0 and 14 or 16 millin viewers.
              all great points and agreed ......ABC has been foolish with V, sci-fi fans are hard core we stay on, they have 5 million guaranteed V viewers, and that's just Nielson, if they only do with the show what needs to be done, let the writers have more freedom, I used to believe the writing was bad because the writers were, I now believe ABC is the problem they are saying yay and nay to this and that

Comment

I honestly believe that Body Of Proof is going to fail eventually. And I'm not just saying that because I want V to succeed either. I really don't think audiences need ANOTHER medical drama. And the fact that it lost 3 million viewers mid-way through has GOT to have ABC's executives worried already.

Comment

Michael Chiklis has tweeted that the renewal of No Ordinary Family (which filmed 22 shows) isn't looking good. In fact he has a pilot in the works at CBS. If V had a stronger lead in, the ratings would most likely have been better. As Chiklis also stated, no word will come until May.
                  Since the SyFy Channel in the UK airs V there, possibly Warner Bothers would approach them to pick up the show here in the US. But I'm sure the budget would be extremely cut. That said, Any V is better than none.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Strykez!
                    I honestly believe that Body Of Proof is going to fail eventually. And I'm not just saying that because I want V to succeed either. I really don't think audiences need ANOTHER medical drama. And the fact that it lost 3 million viewers mid-way through has GOT to have ABC's executives worried already.
                    I actually agree with this.

I expected the premiere do to do well because a) it's a premiere, which means people who are curious about it will check in and b) it had the DWTS Results show as its lead-in.

I also agree that the drop in the 2nd half hour says A LOT. It shows that most of the big first half numbers are due to DWTS and that a good chunk of people finally turned off the TV or they quit watching because they weren't taken with Body of Proof.

It'll be interesting to see if people stay with Body of Proof or if it slides like a lot of ABC's new shows.

Comment

ABC recently aired an episode of No Ordinary Family on a Saturday, at least on my local affiliate, which does not exactly fill me with confidence about that shows chances for renewal. V probably has a better chance that NOF.

Comment

Originally posted by pafan
                        ABC recently aired an episode of No Ordinary Family on a Saturday, at least on my local affiliate, which does not exactly fill me with confidence about that shows chances for renewal. V probably has a better chance that NOF.
                        I'm honestly thinking ABC will probably end all 3 shows including Detroit 1-8-7, because they're the networks weakest of primetime.
                        Last edited by Super_Kara_2007; 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I have to disagree with you. I feel V will be renewed for a short season 10 to 13 episoodes. V has a fan base close to 7 million viewers, probably more because of online viewers. The network knows that the fans are loyal. V gets a lot of free press, love or hate it, EW gives V free publicity because they love Elizabeth Mitchell, she was on the cover two weeks ago. TVBTN are constantly talking about V. I think it has been renewed, because EM was offered a role in a comedy pilot, and said she has been sent other scripts. The fact she did not take them and is waiting word from abc about season 3. EM said an a official announcement will be made in May on a season 3 of V, sounds like she knows more than what she is letting on accrding to EW last week.
                          So why would abc cancel a show that they don't have to spend any advertising dollars on and an audience that will find the show.
                          I wanted to clarify my 7 million viewers includes dvr viewers.
                          Last edited by suliete; 03-31-2011, 06:41 PM. Reason: live number+ 7dvr

Comment

Staying on topic...I don't think 'Fringe' renewal has anything to do with
                            Vs future.
                            I guess it depends on what your reading and where? Right now, I believe
                            that our beloved V has about a 50/50 shot. Elizabeth Mitchell turning
                            down other scripts, this big shindig in California over the weekend, and
                            the ratings basically stabilizing at 5 Million Viewers as apposed to other
                            ABC shows is a good sign. I'm still drinking the V kool-aid and will stick
                            with it until the bitter end. I guess I feel more positive about the show
                            getting a Season Three than I did a month ago?

Comment

I am not watching any ABC shows till I know If V gets renewed.I quit watching No Ordnary family.The fact ABC aired a new episode on a Saturady and the fact both
                              Michael Chiklas and Julie Benz are doing pilots for other shows says to me It Is a goner.I like Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan but the concept for Body of Proof and me not wanting to get Into ABC shows if V Is cancled had me stay away.

The fact that none of V's actors went looking for Pilots IS a good sign for V's possable renewal.A 10-12 episode third season of V remains a possibilty.The fact
                              ABC sent out a press release after the finale on the male viewing numbers Is another good sign.The fact V actully Improves In second half hour also Is fact that can help.

If you don't like reality shows and various CSI and Law and Order shows.Next year Is looking pretty bad.Smallville ending(and everything I have heard on WOnder WOman doesn't leave me with any confidence In It) there Isn't a whole lot sure to come back
                              except the Vampire Diaries.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎