No announcement yet.

Lois: Clark's mother or fiancee?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lois: Clark's mother or fiancee?

I'm really not liking the direction they are taking with Lois. It seems that most of her scenes with Clark reflect her role as more of a overbearing maternal figure (the whole lecturing thing) as opposed to a supportive partner with occasional input. Why can't they just allow Clark to think for himself for once. Clois is slowly evolving into Chlark circa Season 5,6,7

I think she had every right to act the way she did in this episode. She's going to be married to Clark. It would be just as big of a deal for her as it would be for him if his identity was compromised. She wasn't just giving him advice or telling him what to do, she was trying to solve a problem that they were facing as a couple.

Also, yes, she was a bit overbearing, but that's because Clark wouldn't budge. And THAT'S because she was going about it all wrong and in the end Clark figured out what the right way to go about it was.

Comment

I don't have a problem with them at all. As a matter of fact I loved Masquerade for their banter. Part of being a couple is being part of each others daily life, helping in making decisions, telling one another the truth, and busting chops when your doing something that is compromising the one you love. Sorry you feel that way though.

Comment

I thought it was fitting for the episode. Clark was being stubborn and wasn't willing to budge and Lois was trying to get him to see her point, but she was also being stubborn and going about it in a way that Clark wasn't really responding to.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrific_T
          I think she had every right to act the way she did in this episode. She's going to be married to Clark. It would be just as big of a deal for her as it would be for him if his identity was compromised. She wasn't just giving him advice or telling him what to do, she was trying to solve a problem that they were facing as a couple.
          This.

And I have to say, I'm a little annoyed at the idea that Lois shouldn't be worried/concerned/involved/have an opinion in any of this stuff, given the fact that she's going to be marrying the guy; so things like this dosen't just effect Clark, but effects both him and her.

Because honestly, the other alternative is turning Lois into some sort of Stepford Wife, with no opinion on these things and who lets Clark make all the decisions in things that will affect both of their lives.
          Last edited by morrigan01; 02-21-2011, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloisdestined
            I'm really not liking the direction they are taking with Lois. It seems that most of her scenes with Clark reflect her role as more of a overbearing maternal figure (the whole lecturing thing) as opposed to a supportive partner with occasional input. Why can't they just allow Clark to think for himself for once. Clois is slowly evolving into Chlark circa Season 5,6,7
            Clark did think for himself in Masquerade. Everything that ultimately went into his disguise came entirely from him and not from Lois. Also, Lois Lane is known to lecture Clark Kent about his secret identity, especially when it affects her personally.

"The fact is, people will always treat Superman differently. You need a secret identity. It's what protects you from people... and it's what connects you to people. Under that costume you're Clark Kent -- you'll always be Clark Kent. You can't live without him... and neither can I!" -Adventures of Superman #525

Outside of Masquerade, I can't think of a single recent episode featuring Lois lecturing Clark. More than anything else, she's been a source of support and encouragement. In other media, particularly during periods of personal crisis brought on by public backlash against Superman, Lois plays a significant role in Clark's life as a source of counsel, support, encouragement, advice, and often a swift kick in the butt.

Plus, it was made clear in Hex that one of the things Clark loves most about Lois is her assertive flair, especially when it comes to him (e.g. telling him to "saddle up" and saving her "Rules of Reporting). He also has always valued Lois' friendship and support as a hero a great deal, considering that's how and why he fell in love with her in the first place via his phone calls to her as the Blur. For them to change this dynamic, would be to change the characters and their relationship into something it never was. JMHO.
            Last edited by ginevrakent; 02-21-2011, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Last I checked she is his fiancee............

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                This.

And I have to say, I'm a little annoyed at the idea that Lois shouldn't be worried/concerned/involved/have an opinion in any of this stuff, given the fact that she's going to be marrying the guy; so things like this dosen't just affect Clark, but affects both him and her.

Because honestly, the other alternative is turning Lois into some sort of Stepford Wife, with no opinion on these things and who lets Clark make all the decisions in things that will affect both of their lives.
                Exactly. Marriage is sharing a life. That's just what it is. If you don't want to do that, then don't get married.

Clark obviously doesn't have a problem with it, which is why he's getting married.

Comment

This.

And I have to say, I'm a little annoyed at the idea that Lois shouldn't be worried/concerned/involved/have an opinion in any of this stuff, given the fact that she's going to be marrying the guy; so things like this dosen't just affect Clark, but affects both him and her.

QFT

Comment

Once in a while it's okay, but S10 so far seems like the two characters have lost all sense of individuality. They do less stuff they are expected to do. Clark hardly steps in to lecture about Lois' journalistic methods but we get huge amounts of Lois telling how Clark should act like a hero. At this point of the show it's just insulting and embarrasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrific_T
                      Also, yes, she was a bit overbearing, but that's because Clark wouldn't budge. And THAT'S because she was going about it all wrong and in the end Clark figured out what the right way to go about it was.
                      Yes, exactly. That's why both apologized to each other on the last scene. Lois apologized for putting pressure on him, and he apologized for rejecting the idea of wearing a mask/disguise.

The truth is that Lois is going to be Clark's family. She is going to marry him. What happens to him affects her, and what happens to her affects him. Simple as that. Those decisions - like Clark said on Icarus - is something for the BOTH of them to handle together.

Comment

I think it is right for Lois to interfere. Clark's decision impacts on her own life.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                          Once in a while it's okay, but S10 so far seems like the two characters have lost all sense of individuality. They do less stuff they are expected to do. Clark hardly steps in to lecture about Lois' journalistic methods but we get huge amounts of Lois telling how Clark should act like a hero. At this point of the show it's just insulting and embarrasing.
                          Personally, what I would find insulting would be this show not being mature enough to recognize that marriage is a huge commitment and that if you are mature enough to make the decision to spend your life with someone that you should be mature enough to recognize that your life isn't just your own anymore. It is about that other person as well and that choices that you make DO matter and do AFFECT that other person. A mature adult recognizes that you owe it to your partner to think of how your choices affect them as well as yourself. This is a part of GROWING UP. It's a part of being an ADULT in a REAL relationship. I'd be insulted if this show DIDN'T deal with these things and then tried to tell me that these two characters were ready to spend their lives together. I'm glad to see the show writing these two as ADULTS as opposed to immature teenagers who don't have the first clue of what it really means to truly commit to marriage.

I also find this argument particularly false coming off this week's episode---an episode where Clark was written beautifully and articulated in clear terms a the end of the episode where he was coming from and how he was feeling about the situation. It was also an episode where we saw Clark working on his own and investigating on his own and then going after DeSaad on his own and defeating him on his own. Just as we've seen Lois go off and investigate on her own.

I thought both Clark and Lois were pitch perfect in this episode. It was fantastic writing for both of them. They both were strong and stood their ground; however, they were both able to understand each other's viewpoints in the end. By Clark staying true to himself....he, in turn, stayed true to Lois and the "face of the man that she loved" and he stayed true to the man that his parents raised him to be. Clark was secure in himself, calm, assertive and yet I never once doubted that he loved Lois. Lois made her feelings known to Clark---feelings that are completely and utterly legitimate concerns between a husband and a wife---but she eventually backed down and let Clark work it out on his own and she was supportive of his choice in the end. It was perfect writing that showed a MATURE couple of ADULTS who were committed to doing what was right for themselves as individuals and as a couple.

The comparison to Chlark in Seasons 5, 6, 7 is so off that I'm not even going to waste my breath on that one. Suffice it to say, as a married woman myself, I find it incredibly insulting to even suggest that husbands and wive can't interact in the way Clark and Lois did in this episode without the woman in question being called the man's "mother." Marriage is one of the most difficult things to get right with another person. You have to WORK to make a marriage work. You have to CARE about how your choices affect the other person and you have to work to make sure that you are being respectful and treating your partner as an equal. Sometimes, that means that you need to speak the hell up and voice unpopular opinions---opinions that your partner might not want to hear but that they need to hear. That's part of loving someone and it's a right that spouses have with each other that is UNIQUE to that kind of relationship. The bottom line is that Lois, as Clark's future wife, has the right to express her concern over choices that affect their lives together in a way that Chloe never had. Chloe, as close as she was to Clark, was Clark's close friend. She was not his life partner. Chloe, as much as she may have cared, did not have the right to interject herself in Clark's choices like that. But guess what? Lois DOES have a right to be a part of Clark's decision making process because that's what you sign up for when you make the decision to marry someone. You promise that for better or for worse that you will stand by that person and that you will love them and honor them and help them. And we heard Lois say outright in this episode that she would STAND BY CLARK no matter what. Even if people found out his identity and he had no identity---she promised to stand by him. Because that's what you do when you marry someone. That's what you do for your husband. You stand by him for better or for worse. But she had every right in the world to be concerned and to express that concern to Clark.

Oh...and it doesn't make Clark weak or any less an independent man because he was mature enough to take Lois into consideration with this choice either. When Clark marries Lois, he is going to take a vow---a vow that I imagine will mean quite a bit to Clark---promising to always stand by her and take care of her and to love her until they are parted by death. To treat her as the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON in his life and to honor her ABOVE ALL OTHERS. That's what you promise when you marry someone. And an honorable man who is staying true to those vows is not going to make a major life decision without taking his wife into account. Period.
                          Last edited by Audrey229; 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

At the moment I have a hard time believing Clark and Lois are even in love and engaged. There is a real lack of affection in most their scenes. The tiny peck on the cheek at the end is something a mother would give to a child - so maybe Lois is more like Clark's mom!

Comment

I too don't really like the fact that Lois been acting all motherly. She was much worse in Collateral. Asking Clark if he wanted a sandwich

I wish that Lois never learned how to cook. I loved that about her

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎