Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad English Stereotype

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh it was okay. If I was offended everytime there was a ridiculous french cliché/stereotype in a show I would be really pissed right now

Comment

LOL. I didn't even notice they were talking. I was just so distracted by Superman in England.

Comment

Originally posted by SupesMann
        All of it lol, 'isn't that the bluuur, shouldn't eee be across the pond, well the chap's here now'

it's all terrible ha
        now that you say it it does sound like all they did was use the only british words americans would know lol.

dont get why he was there tho. was he really there just getting milk like lois said? or was he protecting Big Ben to prevent Darkseid from stealing it?

Comment

I did notice it and cringed a little, I'm American but have been to the UK a few times and have many colleagues from the UK in the company that I work for.

What I noticed from that scene when you heard the voice over as some body recorded the Blur with their cellphone camera was that the Blur was standing on the same rooftop that has been used for Metropolis scenes in other episodes. Nice touch of adorning it with a Union Jack to give it that merry old England feeling.

Comment

You wanna know when I cringe?

Every time I hear that moron Russel Brand open his mouth.

My god... you people ought to lock him away somewhere. What Smallville did was minor compared to how he protrays the British in R/L.

On a daily basis.

Comment

Lol, I'm British and I don't speak London or typical English but I didn't find anythin offensive about it. Sure it's sterotypical but that's television for you. You are never going to see someone with a Manchester accent on an American show or at least speak like they are from up North, at least not usually anyway. Usually they choose the most obvious English people as possible with the most obvious posh, British phases, it's kind of amusing to me actually.

----- Added 45 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by obsessedwithsv
              Haha, yeah, 'cause everyone in England either sounds like the Queen or Del Boy Trotter (lol) . And I know London's the capital and Big Ben's tower is pretty iconic, but a scene like that could've been far more original. They just can be arsed trying, lol.
              Obviously
              Last edited by CloisShipper; 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Di
                Y'all like, sound like this maaaan.
                That's funny because the people who say "Y'all" come from a completely different part of the US than the people who say, "maaaan"

It really makes me wonder how screwy Hollywood really is about their English stereotypes, I've never really thought about it before this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrific_T
                  LOL. I didn't even notice they were talking. I was just so distracted by Superman in England.
                  Me too, I didn't even know anything was said until it was mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by HowardFilms
                    Way to be subtle with the acting for the Brits. (terrible accent) "Well the chap's here now!" I mean. We got it with Big Ben.

Also. When SR did this scene, they mentioned Gotham. Mad at you, Smallville, I wanted it.
                    I'm not at all surprised by the sterotype. It's been that way on American TV since the dawn of time from everything I've watched in the past . We all must speak in London accents and spend our time sipping tea and riding horses .

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

That's funny because the people who say "Y'all" come from a completely different part of the US than the people who say, "maaaan"

It really makes me wonder how screwy Hollywood really is about their English stereotypes, I've never really thought about it before this thread.
                    Honestly, hollywood can be so corny when they are showing a sterotypical Brit, it's kind of ridiculous. "Chap, good fellow" seriously, no one I know speaks like that, at least not in this day and age.
                    Last edited by CloisShipper; 02-20-2011, 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I was sooooo happy that Clark came to Buenos Aires! At least this time it looked like my city and not like that cascade they pretended to be the Iguazú Falls in season 6.

Comment

I know, seeing him on Big Ben was kind of awesome

Originally posted by FanoftheMan
                        You wanna know when I cringe?

Every time I hear that moron Russel Brand open his mouth.

My god... you people ought to lock him away somewhere. What Smallville did was minor compared to how he protrays the British in R/L.

On a daily basis.
                        God I couldn't agree with you more. I HATE that guy, and i'm always secretly dissapointed when someone I know says they like him!

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                          I was sooooo happy that Clark came to Buenos Aires! At least this time it looked like my city and not like that cascade they pretended to be the Iguazú Falls in season 6.
                          Heehee! It's awesome to be someone whose city Clark came to! I was all excited when he was in Seattle last year! Although, for some reason I was supposed to believe that it was abnormal for a snowstorm to happen in the middle of April! Pssht!

Smallville obviously needs to start doing just a teeny bit of research before they leave Metropolis!

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                          I know, seeing him on Big Ben was kind of awesome
                          I know! I love that he's all over the world now!

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by SnowBird
                          Me too, I didn't even know anything was said until it was mentioned.
                          Same!
                          Last edited by Terrific_T; 02-20-2011, 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

At least they made the Big Ben look exactly like the Big Ben.

Comment

Heck, when the U.S. media can't even remember that the middle of their very own country exists much of the time, it doesn't surprise me that this little glimpse of Clark in London would be so outdated and stereotypical.

Comment

Heehee! It's awesome to be someone whose city Clark came to! I was all excited when he was in Seattle last year! Although, for some reason I was supposed to believe that it was abnormal for a snowstorm to happen in the middle of April! Pssht!

Smallville obviously needs to start doing just a teeny bit of research before they leave Metropolis!

That was an awesome scene with Clark and Zod in Seattle. As far as the snow, I think it was the temperature of being in the 60's and snowing that was unusual more than the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎