No announcement yet.

Bad English Stereotype

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skully
    As an Aussie with a few English mates, I found it pretty lame. I was surprised they didn't throw a "Guv'ner" in there.
    It kind of reminded me of Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins LOL awful accent, yet endearing

Comment

• If they were going for broke, they could have at least thrown in a Knight and Squire reference.

C'mon SV, you could've shown Cyril Sheldrake and Beryl Hutchinson some love.

(For those who are not familiar, they're a sort-of "British" Batman and Robin in the DCU )

Comment

• I'm surprised Clark wasn't wearing a bowler hat while he was in London

Comment

• Originally posted by magoo
          lol that would be 'red pants'. girls wear knickers... and some men i suppose.
          ROFL at least nobody called it a tartan!!! (and NO, "tartan" and "plaid" are not the same, at least not from a Scottish POV!)

Comment

• what does chap mean? i thought it was a name hehe

Comment

• There is someone over here who speaks that way...his name's James May, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyanara
                Is bloody hell still used? If you got rid of that one Ima have to call for an embargo. JK
                Ha, ha don't know about anyone else but I use bloody hell all of the time.

----- Added 47 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by justme_007
                what does chap mean? i thought it was a name hehe
                Really we say "Mate" these days not "Chap" . It's a way of saying buddy or pal.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by obsessedwithsv

Either that or offer him a cup of tea. He must catch his death up on those rooftops at night in mid-February .

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

I think it's us doing all the "ridiculous French stereotypes" being mentioned .
                Last edited by CloisShipper; 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by justme_007
                  what does chap mean? i thought it was a name hehe
                  "Chap" is English slang for "man", equivalent to "guy". Nowadays, it has fallen out of favour in general speech, and using the word would mark you down as old-fashioned and/or upper class (London Mayor Boris Johnson still talks about men as "chaps", but he generally sounds like an eccentric aristocrat from a P.G. Wodehouse novel and is hardly typical).

Incidentally, if we removed the swearing (and the inevitable "Oh great, another 'Fathers for Justice' demo(!)" comment), here is how English people might have phrased things:

"Look up there! Who's that?"
                  "It's, um...its 'The Blur'!"
                  "Can't be. He's in America."
                  "Not now, he isn't!" (or possibly "Try telling him that!")

To be honest, it would sound more realistic with a bit of mild swearing, but I will spare you that. Actually, actors who could manage realistic English accents, as opposed to graduates of the "Dick Van Dyke Academy of Cockney Speech (as heard in Walt Disney movies)" would make a bigger difference. On the other hand, the sheer awfulness of some American TV attempts to pretend they are in England - a red double-decker bus will not automatically make an American-styled Hollywood exterior look like London; if an Irish-American actor tries sounding a little more Irish, they will not sound like an English spy (yes, Murder She Wrote, I'm looking at you!) - are so unintentionally funny that I don't mind them that much.

P.S. At least it wasn't as bad as the movie Euro Trip - Vinnie Jones, who used to play soccer for Wimbledon F.C., not only playing a fan of Manchester United (oh, Vinnie, selling your soul for thirty pieces of Hollywood silver), but doing so wearing a supposed Man. Utd. replica shirt that looked nothing like the real thing (even the shade of red was wrong). I suppose the only realistic part was that none of the "fans" appeared to come from Manchester!
                  Last edited by newbaggy; 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyanara
                    I have to agree, I'm not English but I don't get the problem with them showing Clark on Big Ben. It was either that or have him on top of Buckingham Palace. There are certain land marks each country has that is largely established with that country whether they have hundreds more or not.
                    England= Big Ben, Buckingham Palace
                    America= Statue of Liberty
                    France=Eifel Tower
                    Egypt= Pyramids
                    Australia= that unique building structure that I really can't think of the name of, but Im pretty sure everyone knows what it is.
                    Italy= Coliseum, maybe The Vatican
                    The London Eye is London's highest paid tourist attraction. Still I agree Big Ben is probably still seen by others as 'London' just by an inch. But I honestly believe the London eye has taken over, in the eyes of Londoners (like myself) certainly and probably most of Britain's too.

Anyway this clip made me cringe so much. I've never heard anyone say 'chap' in a serious conversation in my whole life here. Never.

If they were going to try to be more realistic, the line would go more like this between two blokes (men):

'Oi who the heck/hell/f*ck is that?'
                    'Its the Blur!'
                    'Nah can't be. His suppose to be in America!'
                    'No, trust me mate. Its him.'

Now that is how people I know in London speak.
                    Last edited by numberonekid; 02-24-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• It made me laugh :P Only my gran ever says 'chap' any more. He should have been in Walford any way, Peggy wouldn't have had him in her pub but the place needs some major sorting out.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎