No announcement yet.

How he dawns the glasses....Really? -_-

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Ship!
    No need to attack me personally. read my post below and you will see that I am still making the point about the glasses and the inconsistencies.
    I'm not attacking you, I was just asking you to clarify what your real issue was. If it's about no one being able to tell Clark is Superman because he wears a pair of thick glasses and hides himself behind clumsy mannerisms, why even bring up your feelings about Darkseid. What does the Darkseid arc have to do with the disguise?

Comment

One of the dumbest things done in the classic superman comic books was to make the reader believe that with only a pair of glasses and some goofiness/lack of coordination, that Clark kent could hide his true identity. That people could not tell Superman was Clark Kent solely because of confidence and that stupid hair style. Come on, this is 2011! We live in a different world, and I am sure if the original writers were alive today they would come up with something else to hide Clark's Identity. Lazy writers, Lazy episode, made to sense that with an upcoming doomsday, oh well...lalala...Lois and CLark are planning a wedding! Come on now.
      Wow... just...wow...

First of all, are you saying any superman writer who does not update the Superman story, without the glasses, is lazy?

Because I guess that means they are ALL lazy, not just Smallville's writers.

Secondly what do you suggest they update it too?

The whole POINT of Superman, is that he is a Superman without a mask. He does not hide from the law, he represents truth... how could he represent truth wearing a mask?

Of COURSE the glasses disguise is flawed. It's developed a lot since the first comic. It's now more than just glasses. It's posture, it's personality, it's hiding in plain sight, it's slightly changing your voice, avoiding eye contact etc etc. But it will always be flawed.

But it's NOT REAL! It's a fantasy. No one is complaining that his ability to fly makes no scientific sense. So why on earth does it matter whether or not his disguise would work in real life either? It's just a story... a story with a message behind it. And IMO the glasses are a big part of that message.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
        It's a suspension of disbelief that's inherently involved with the Superman mythos. A comics writer - John Byrne, I think - tried to implement the idea that every time he put on the costume he used his superspeed to constantly vibrate his face at a certain speed so no-one could really distinguish his features, but it never really caught on.
        Actually its called a Suspension of Belief, But you are correct. Much the same way that being okay with the fact that superman can fly. You have to suspend what you normally believe to be logical. I guess it should be renamed a suspension of logic

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
          "EPIC FAIL!?" Yeah, right. This is the way that Superman has dealt with his secret identity for decades now, like they were really going to mess with it?

People complain that he doesn't have glasses and when he finally puts them on, they complain even more. Unbelievable.
          Yep, its always a complain fest for most things. For me I just don't like when certain things don't make sense. But this has always been apart of Superman. Why would they go and change that part of it. It had to be addressed, PERIOD. They aren't just going to give him a mask or disguise that is nothing we've ever seen before. The story is different but the origin and background of CK/Supe/Blur is still kryptonian, with the similar bad guys, same powers that he has. He is going to be Superman and the iconic glasses for the disguise was pretty much a no brainer. It had to happen. People need to deal with it.

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
          Wow... just...wow...

First of all, are you saying any superman writer who does not update the Superman story, without the glasses, is lazy?

Because I guess that means they are ALL lazy, not just Smallville's writers.

Secondly what do you suggest they update it too?

The whole POINT of Superman, is that he is a Superman without a mask. He does not hide from the law, he represents truth... how could he represent truth wearing a mask?

Of COURSE the glasses disguise is flawed. It's developed a lot since the first comic. It's now more than just glasses. It's posture, it's personality, it's hiding in plain sight, it's slightly changing your voice, avoiding eye contact etc etc. But it will always be flawed.

But it's NOT REAL! It's a fantasy. No one is complaining that his ability to fly makes no scientific sense. So why on earth does it matter whether or not his disguise would work in real life either? It's just a story... a story with a message behind it. And IMO the glasses are a big part of that message.
          QFT
          He is meant to show his face. That is Superman. So should CK walkaround with a mask? He is not batman. Superman has always been a different hero in that regards. Remember this was done in the 1930's. He will soon be a hundred year old hero soon.
          It's all make believe but they can't deviate from the mythology THAT much as to put a mask on Superman. That would be ridiculous and would not send the same message. It would be another character or some AU version, that people wouldn't understand anyway.
          Last edited by pjack; 02-19-2011, 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

doesn't matter what they did a group of people were gonna complain.... its not the real world by any stretch of the imagination... so it really doesnt matter. The fact is he accept Clark has to be the disguise and he's rocking them. At least its happened

Besides the whole fun thing about the glasses is and has always been... "Hey clark kinda looks like... nah why would Supes be that guy"
            Changing his appearance thru magic takes that away

Comment

Originally posted by thereason
              doesn't matter what they did a group of people were gonna complain.... its not the real world by any stretch of the imagination... so it really doesnt matter. The fact is he accept Clark has to be the disguise and he's rocking them. At least its happened

Besides the whole fun thing about the glasses is and has always been... "Hey clark kinda looks like... nah why would Supes be that guy"
              Changing his appearance thru magic takes that away
              Exactly.
              I actually grow tiresome of hearing the glasses won't fool anyone complaint. You accept it or you don't. Geez people it's always been apart of Superman mythos and this show is no exception. Get over it. Regardless of if it seems stupid or not realistic, but neither is flying, heat vision, xray vision, super breath etc.
              Its TV adapted comic.
              CK didn't wear glasses in the Reeves movies either until he became a reporter. In the first Superman movie it showed him going to school and superspeeding to out run the bus. He did NOT have glasses when growing up then either.
              It's been that way.

Comment

Originally posted by pjack
                Exactly.
                I actually grow tiresome of hearing the glasses won't fool anyone complaint. You accept it or you don't. Geez people it's always been apart of Superman mythos and this show is no exception.
                That's not entirely true, IMO. The problem with Smallville was that for more than 9 years, Clark never wore glasses and actually worked at the DP for more than two of those years, not counting how often he was at the DP in seasons 5-7 when Chloe was working there. That's the issue with the glasses on this show. I think that I would have been fine if Clark threw on the glasses at the start of season 8 when he got the job at the DP. Sure there would have been plot holes, but not as many as now. Everyone knows what Clark looks like without the glasses and they also know that he isn't some geek either. So my main issue is that the writers never set this storyline up properly. They're just throwing it at us now as we head toward the finish line and it just doesn't seem logical to me. YMMV.

Comment

Hahaha...good one!

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Imagination or....lack of imagination. This is 2011, my point is there far better ways to show how CK cannot be the Blurr. Glasses are just not the answer.

THere should never be another disguise. THis is Superman. Weather its 1941 or 2011, If you don't like it then switch to spiderman.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

In one Variation of the story, it was said that Superman can move fast enough to slightly blur his face, so you can't fully make out his features. Just a FYI
                  Last edited by Kal-alien; 02-19-2011, 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i was wondering if anyone knew what brand of glasses he wore in THIS episode?

Comment

For those who know Clark, wouldn't they have to get a really good look at Superman up close to get a comparison to Clark? That might not happen for months and by then Clark will be ingrained with wearing the glasses and changing his demeanor. I doubt that those that knew Clark as the farm boy will add 2 and 2 together to make the comparison. Like the glasses changing how Clark looks, I think the Superman suit also changes how Clark looks compared to street clothes. There is more to it than just the glasses, imo.

Comment

It's not about the glasses. It's about the way he carries himself.

And I think it works-- brilliantly. Clark with glasses, who acts unsure of himself, who is apologetic to his co-workers, a gray presence who fades into the background (TW played it perfectly with Intern Jeff) will never be suspected of being Superman.

The Clark we saw earlier in the episode, who strides into a crime scene like he owns the place, who carries himself like a cop or a firefighter-- the Clark we saw earlier in the episode-- could easily be suspected of being Superman.

I love the idea of hiding in plain sight.

Comment

Originally posted by YMSWG
                          i was wondering if anyone knew what brand of glasses he wore in THIS episode?
                          Really? I don't think there is anyway possible to know that.

Comment

Originally posted by actaeon
                            It's not about the glasses. It's about the way he carries himself.

And I think it works-- brilliantly. Clark with glasses, who acts unsure of himself, who is apologetic to his co-workers, a gray presence who fades into the background (TW played it perfectly with Intern Jeff) will never be suspected of being Superman.

The Clark we saw earlier in the episode, who strides into a crime scene like he owns the place, who carries himself like a cop or a firefighter-- the Clark we saw earlier in the episode-- could easily be suspected of being Superman.

I love the idea of hiding in plain sight.
                            I'd say it's both.

Comment

Smallville is an adaptation... not an exact comic book series nor a completely different story. The show keeps within the spirit of who Clark Kent/Superman is. It's an origins tale that offers a version of how Superman became Superman. It's not fair to expect the show to play out like a comic book verbatim... and while I understand people not liking certain choices, it isn't really fair to hate on the show when they introduce classical elements to the forefront despite taking creative liberties in other situations.

This is a Superman story - we all knew he was going to wear the glasses eventually... why not this way? Clark even explained why he's wearing the glasses. It wasn't even a light switch. He's been playing around with those glasses since last year - before he even saw his future self wearing them (but Lois suggested "contacts"). Considering the glasses have been the ultimate mask for this character since the 1930s, I don't see how Smallville's use of the glasses seems to be such a stretch. Nor do I find the Daily Planet characters any more oblivious for not being able to see past them (because in all Supes lore, that's what people do with no explanation).

As a side note: I love how the Lois/Clark (with glasses)/Jeff scene was shot. Jeff looks up to see it's Clark Kent, but the light reflects into the lenses and it's hard to see his eyes. I thought it was a nice touch...

Comment

Those that are around Clark from the past ALREADY know his secret.
                                So I don't really see the problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎