No announcement yet.

How he dawns the glasses....Really? -_-

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperFan85
    The writers are lazy because they're staying true to Superman canon and mythology? So, people are mad when the writers are not being true to the comics and mad when they are. Wow, talk about not being able to satisfy anyone...
    Actually I would love it if they would stick with the real superman comic. I really would! Sadly that is NOT what Smallville has done. What is annoying is that they cannot make up their mind, they give a little here then I guess so they do not get sued they try to change some things. You will agree that if SV wants to stand apart from The Real Superman character, they should stop trying to confuse the heck out of us...the "blurr"? "Glasses"? Kent is the guise but just after he just told us he is the son of Martha/Kent? Flight/No FLight?

----- Added 52 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by luckycloisfan
    I don't mind the glasses... SHOULD have happened at the beginning of Season 8.

Now, stupidly, the SV PTB have Jeff recognize him, as the same person, WITH the glasses on... oh, brother!!

FAIL.

Exactly! EPIC EPIC FAIL! Made no sense....Oye Ve!
    Last edited by The Ship!; 02-19-2011, 09:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Um, how are they trying to "confuse the heck out of us"? I don't see anything wrong with his working title being called The Blur. It's more poignant and dramatic if it is saved until the series finale, when he is ultimately known as Superman.

As far as flight goes, that's something else in my opinion, being saved for dramatic purposes. Clark finally allowing himself to fly is what will ultimately represent him letting go of all his fears and embracing the future. As far as this season goes, he already seemed to go through that epiphany in "Homecoming," but him flying will be a nice visual variation of that epiphany.
      Last edited by SuperFan85; 02-19-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFan85
        Um, how are they trying to "confuse the heck out of us"? I don't see anything wrong with his working title being called The Blur. It's more poignant and dramatic if it is saved until the series finale, whe he is ultimately known as Superman.

As far as flight goes, that's something else in my opinion, being saved for dramatic purposes. Clark finally allowing himself to fly is what will ultimately represent him letting go of all his fears and embracing the future. As far as this season goes, he already seemed to go through that epiphany in "Homecoming," but him flying will be a nice visual variation of that epiphany.
        If we must stick to tradition we should do it. How many of us have loved the superboy-superman comics? SV has decided to go a different path and indeed it feels like AN ALTERNATE REALITY world where this version of superman(called here The Blurr) exists. If that is the path, then why force us in 2011 to accept "glasses/CK diguise" nonsense? I am sure if the writers wanted to try they would have come up with something better, something that fits this alternate universe Clark Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ship!
          Tradition? What tradition? Smallville has in fact done everything to NOT FOLLOW traditions!
          I disagree with everything that has been said.
          Yes tradition, its great he is wearing the glasses. There may be differences in smallville but it's still the story of how he became SUPERMAN. There are some things that should not change and this is one of them. I am glad they are finally getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ship!
            If we must stick to tradition we should do it. How many of us have loved the superboy-superman comics? SV has decided to go a different path and indeed it feels like AN ALTERNATE REALITY world where this version of superman(called here The Blurr) exists. If that is the path, then why force us in 2011 to accept "glasses/CK diguise" nonsense? I am sure if the writers wanted to try they would have come up with something better, something that fits this alternate universe Clark Kent.

Look, the story is a retelling and things are different and something are not. It's ALL about imagination and how someone see's it. This is really different than the some of the comics, but yet it still needs some of the same elements or we wouldn't even know its a superman story. Plus their are infinite worlds, this could be the way life happened on this earth.

Comment

The glasses work when it comes to concealing his identity.
              In the comics, nobody at the DP or Metropolis saw "Clark Kent" without the glasses and with different posture and a different hairstyle, it gives Clark "a passing resemblence" to Superman and nothing more. Dean Cain and George Reeves didn't play bumbling Clark and I think that worked in the character's favor. Being an "average joe" and not drawing attention to himself only adds to the effectiveness of the glasses imo. It shows Clark is like the rest of us, an average joe with eye problems. The Christopher Reeve movies are great, but I think the "bumbling nerd" only draws more attention somehow, like he is deliberately covering something up (which we, the audience know he is, but the world isn't supposed to know).

Its better late than never and what we got last night was awesome imo I just think it sucks that it was the B plot

Comment

I loved it. LOVED IT. The glasses never makes sense IMO. So I expected him to just put them on and people forget. Its cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird4u
                  I loved it. LOVED IT. The glasses never makes sense IMO. So I expected him to just put them on and people forget. Its cannon.
                  Hahaha...good one!

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by pjack
                  Look, the story is a retelling and things are different and something are not. It's ALL about imagination and how someone see's it. This is really different than the some of the comics, but yet it still needs some of the same elements or we wouldn't even know its a superman story. Plus their are infinite worlds, this could be the way life happened on this earth.

Imagination or....lack of imagination. This is 2011, my point is there far better ways to show how CK cannot be the Blurr. Glasses are just not the answer.
                  Last edited by The Ship!; 02-19-2011, 11:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Glasses are the answer because we're dealing with a character born out of the writers in the 1930s. If the character of Superman was created today, probably something totally different. I side with the glasses because it is the mythos. Of course, many people argue that the historical facts of the character are ignored/changed in SV. So be it. If you truly think the ep was a total failure....watch something else, there's only 8 eps left to the series anyhow....

Comment

In reality a blind person has a good chance hearing that Superman and Clark Kent voices are too similar. You have to be blind and death for the glasses to fool you. I usually refrain from making absolute statements. But no one on this planet would be fooled by Superman wearing glasses. Its not even up for debate.

However its one of the cornerstones of Superman's mythology. That is the only reason why they are keeping it. Smallville has broken from Superman's traditional mythology countless times. Do any you think he became best mates with Green Arrow before Batman? no. Does anyone think Lana became meta-human with the power to kill Superman? no. Chloe is a smallville invention and she has only now been incorporated into the DC comic universe.

In the words of Tony Stark/Iron man.

'I am Clark Kent. The glasses and I are one.'

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
                        Glasses are the answer because we're dealing with a character born out of the writers in the 1930s. If the character of Superman was created today, probably something totally different. I side with the glasses because it is the mythos. Of course, many people argue that the historical facts of the character are ignored/changed in SV. So be it. If you truly think the ep was a total failure....watch something else, there's only 8 eps left to the series anyhow....
                        However the only reason this version of CK decides to wear the glasses is because he saw his future self wear it and act like a nerd. We're never told how his future CK had the idea the first time. See how playing with time paradox can ruin things? Writers never understand.

Comment

As I posted in another thread, this particular element requires a suspense of disbelief that is inherent to any Superman story. The fact that Clark acts like a bumbling, clumsy guy is part of it as well, but if we're honest, it would only be a matter of time before he was recognised. It's just something fans of the superhero genre have to accept. And if you can handle the idea of an alien crash landing on Earth, being found by farmers, developing super-powers, and becoming the world's greatest hero, then some glasses should pose no problem.

Comment

Dealing with future-self influences past-self, but future-self could never have become that without past-self, simply makes my brain hurt.

Let's look at it Benjamin Sisko's way: "Corporeal beings think in such linear terms..."

Comment

the glasses are stupid, no doubt but they are part of the mythology behind superman and are part of his origin.

if they did what you want The Ship! and they changed his way to hide from the public, well we would end up with that hood and shades that we got last night.
                              dont get me wrong i loved the little earth one comic look on the blur last night but i want what we have , well most have been waiting for and thats to see the glasses and the suit and flight.

but again im probably trying to make a point to someone who only watched the show and has no real and i mean real love for the character that this show is featuring.

and for those that are still complaining about him not being true to the comics with the no flight, yeah i want him to fly also but if you look back at supes beginning , well he used to leap tall buildings.
                              only in later comics did he start to fly .
                              hell even as superman he only used to leap so this version of a young superman is almost a tribute to the golden age superman in some ways.

Comment

I've said it before but the glasses are the least of the shows worries.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎