No announcement yet.

How he dawns the glasses....Really? -_-

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How he dawns the glasses....Really? -_-

He could have had Zatanna zap the glasses to change his appearance to those around him, whenever he wore them...

Seriously the glasses won't full anyone, whose been around him all these years, less long a villain who puts two and two together....

Ah well.

You either believe in the glasses as a disguise or you don't.

Worf: (listening to Bashir and O'Brien arguing about the death of Davy Crockett) You are both wrong. The only real question is whether you believe in the legend of Davy Crockett or not. If you do, then there should be no doubt in your mind that he died a hero's death. If you do not believe in the legend, then he was just a man, and it does not matter how he died.
    Last edited by DJ Doena; 02-19-2011, 04:36 AM.

Comment

It's a suspension of disbelief that's inherently involved with the Superman mythos. A comics writer - John Byrne, I think - tried to implement the idea that every time he put on the costume he used his superspeed to constantly vibrate his face at a certain speed so no-one could really distinguish his features, but it never really caught on.

Comment

It's always been one of the funniest disguises. He puts on the glasses and no one recognizes him. I always thought that it would be logical to have some kind of special glasses that help him change his appearance when he wears them.

Comment

As I said in the other thread... WAIT a while... I am confident that by the end of the series there will be a world wide mojo that will make him look different as Superman...

Comment

It's not just the glasses that make the disguise. It's his posture, bumbling behavior and overall way we categorise others in certain slots. Once you are viewed in a certain way, it's quite hard to break the mold. Sure Smallville Clark hasn't been that nerdy or bumbling over the years but "Masquerade" gave hints of it in the final Daily Planet scene.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
              It's not just the glasses that make the disguise. It's his posture, bumbling behavior and overall way we categorise others in certain slots. Once you are viewed in a certain way, it's quite hard to break the mold. Sure Smallville Clark hasn't been that nerdy or bumbling over the years but "Masquerade" gave hints of it in the final Daily Planet scene.
              Exactly. I really enjoyed that final scene, with that Jeff guy saying, "Maybe you should!"

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                Yes, Jeff was used as a tool or comedic foil to show just how these simple changes in looks and mannerisms can be effective. Look how much more aggressive Jeff got with him. A complete 180 from earlier in the episode when he and Clark (sans glasses) almost collided as Clark breezed into the bullpen. Again, a simple tool to suggest the whole glasses & meek mannerism schtick could work.

You either buy into it or you don't.
                Last edited by techtweeter; 02-19-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

You know I could almost almost buy that implementing the glasses and clumsiness stops people from just going "hey look it's C.K!" as soon as he shows his face as Superman, but what kills it is, isn't it a little late now to be starting with the glasses, aren't people going to remember what he looked like without them. I won't even bother to ask about what happens when Lex returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekken Force
                    I won't even bother to ask about what happens when Lex returns.
                    Lex either knows anyway or he forgets it (the base was layed in Beacon).

Comment

Yet again, another EPIC FAIL!

One of the dumbest things done in the classic superman comic books was to make the reader believe that with only a pair of glasses and some goofiness/lack of coordination, that Clark kent could hide his true identity. That people could not tell Superman was Clark Kent solely because of confidence and that stupid hair style. Come on, this is 2011! We live in a different world, and I am sure if the original writers were alive today they would come up with something else to hide Clark's Identity. Lazy writers, Lazy episode, made to sense that with an upcoming doomsday, oh well...lalala...Lois and CLark are planning a wedding! Come on now.

Oh here is another good one, how come that bad guy in the morgue wasn't surprised that CK was able to find that tiny spot that he could only see with a magnifier? Just insulting!

And finally, why is smallville stealing ideas from other movies? Mr/Ms Jones???? COme on!!

Comment

The writers are lazy because they're staying true to Superman canon and mythology? So, people are mad when the writers are not being true to the comics and mad when they are. Wow, talk about not being able to satisfy anyone...
                        Last edited by SuperFan85; 02-19-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Can't argue with tradition.

People will see what they want to see. Humans will trust Clark more by seeing that his hero side does not wear a mask. It's meant to show that the one who protects them has nothing to hide.

I think the glasses are better explained in Birthright.

Last edited by harryandginnyfanatic; 02-19-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Tradition? What tradition? Smallville has in fact done everything to NOT FOLLOW traditions!

Originally posted by harryandginnyfanatic
                            Can't argue with tradition.

People will see what they want to see. People will trust Clark more by seeing that his hero side does not wear a mask. It's meant to show that he has nothing to hide.

Comment

I don't mind the glasses... SHOULD have happened at the beginning of Season 8.

Now, stupidly, the SV PTB have Jeff recognize him, as the same person, WITH the glasses on... oh, brother!!

FAIL.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎