Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you buy that people wont be able to tell the difference between Clark and Sup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wafflles87
    Well, I accept that in the comics I read, when I rewatch L&C, The Animated Series or the Superman Movies, so yeah... I can accept it here as well.

Besides, it's not ALL about looks, that's what I think people don't understand. It's about how others perceive him. He's not just Superman (or the Blur) wearing glasses. He acts different, talks different, walks different. He IS different, and he explained it very well in the episode. People will think Clark Kent is just some normal guy, not someone who can be super.
    Originally posted by techtweeter
    I don't get too hung up on it. Its been part of the mythos for more than 70 years and I will accept it in SV just like in every other incantation of this great inspirational story
    Agreed!

Originally posted by The Beyonder
    I don't buy TW's portrayal of CK/SM being significantly different. Superman was just on TV here and the way Christopher Reeve portrayed the differences between CK and SM was like night and day, it made TW's portrayal look even more one dimensional. TW just doesn't have the same ability to do it justice imo, this late in the game and with the world and his wife seemingly knowing his identity already. Mythos or not it's been handled poorly.
    Clark just made the decision in this episode, he's not going to master/figure out everything in one day. I think you should [SPOILER] check out booster this episode is going to be dealing with Clark learning/implementing his mild mannered persona out there in the world.[/SPOILER]

I personally think its been handled quite well for Smallville's Clark Kent thus far.

Comment

I don't buy TW's portrayal of CK/SM being significantly different. Superman was just on TV here and the way Christopher Reeve portrayed the differences between CK and SM was like night and day, it made TW's portrayal look even more one dimensional. TW just doesn't have the same ability to do it justice imo, this late in the game and with the world and his wife seemingly knowing his identity already. Mythos or not it's been handled poorly.
      I hope SV Clark is never like CR's Clark which was over the top for me. I think people accepting that Clark isn't Superman will work out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
        I hope SV Clark is never like CR's Clark which was over the top for me. I think people accepting that Clark isn't Superman will work out fine.
        I agree.

I actually think their gonna go the Birthright route which is my absolute favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Shootza
          I agree.

I actually think their gonna go the Birthright route which is my absolute favorite.
          I'm not familiar, could you please explain?

Comment

I agree that while Chris did a superb job, it was a bit over the top.

The question I ponder is not who will see Clark and go, "...hey, that's Superman!" but rather who will see Superman and say, "that looks like that reporter guy that was here a couple of weeks ago....."

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
              I agree that while Chris did a superb job, it was a bit over the top.

The question I ponder is not who will see Clark and go, "...hey, that's Superman!" but rather who will see Superman and say, "that looks like that reporter guy that was here a couple of weeks ago....."
              Exactly, they will have to get a good look at Superman to even make the comparison. Just how good of a look will they get in the finale. A picture of his face in the DP and who will take such a picture, a flight picture where they can't see his face. a look of him on top of a building from below? Clark might not even show his face for a period of time and by then Clark in glasses will be established. His friends already know his secret. The villains will be gone except Lex and maybe he will remember or not but as was pointed out, knowledge is power and he won't give it up. I just don't think they will even worry about explanation of recognition because it is the end of Smallville and let viewers think what they want, imo.

Comment

it will get there

Look at the bigger picture, Oliver has a darkness omega, which means somehow it will have to be reversed.
                which in turn means granny and the other darkseid followers can be saved also.

granny has the ability to erase memorys... do you see where i am going here.

its more than just the glasses tho, its the idea that clark kent may look like superman but well a hero dosn't wear glasses, a hero dosn't need a job, a hero cant be lois lanes bitc..... errrrrr lover, and people suspend there belife, superman makes a save and clark walks back in seconds later with milk... people forget how fast superman really is and just shrug it off by saying well supermans accross town... and clark was getting milk for lois. all of this helps convince the world of clarks secret, that and people are so fasinated that aliens wear there red underpants on the outside.

Comment

There are many of us who believe that the OTT portrayal of Clark as THAT stupid and bumbling and timid would actually DRAW attention to him.

It reminds me of a friend I have, who every time he has a drink, likes to pretend he's more drunk to get attention. So he stumbles into tables, and he droops his eyes and he giggles inananely.

If you want to pretend your NOT Superman, then just act average, not a complete fool.

Originally posted by SnowBird
                  Exactly, they will have to get a good look at Superman to even make the comparison. Just how good of a look will they get in the finale. A picture of his face in the DP and who will take such a picture, a flight picture where they can't see his face. a look of him on top of a building from below? Clark might not even show his face for a period of time and by then Clark in glasses will be established. His friends already know his secret. The villains will be gone except Lex and maybe he will remember or not but as was pointed out, knowledge is power and he won't give it up. I just don't think they will even worry about explanation of recognition because it is the end of Smallville and let viewers think what they want, imo.
                  I agree, I think it should be left to our imagination. And they have definitely taken a different tact with Smallville, so it's not like he's going to be doing public appearances for a long time, until the law and the government learn to trust him. The more they see he isn't wearing a mask, the more they will trust him. The more he explains about himself, the more they will trust him. As I said in a previous thread, he kind of NEEDS to tell them he's an alien who's here to help, or they will never stop looking for his 'identity'. But kind of like in LNC, if they think he's an alien, who only arrived on earth when The Blur's saves started, they are less likely to consider someone who has a chilhood history on earth in the running.

Originally posted by ck2011
                  its more than just the glasses tho, its the idea that clark kent may look like superman but well a hero dosn't wear glasses, a hero dosn't need a job, a hero cant be lois lanes bitc..... errrrrr lover, and people suspend there belife, superman makes a save and clark walks back in seconds later with milk... people forget how fast superman really is and just shrug it off by saying well supermans accross town... and clark was getting milk for lois. all of this helps convince the world of clarks secret, that and people are so fasinated that aliens wear there red underpants on the outside.
                  Yeah that's basically what I mean. If you create something that's larger than life, no one is even looking for the human origin. But in Smallville, that's harder now, because of Ollie's supremely stupid idea of revealing himself to the public. People then kind of assume that The Blur has a secret identity too. It's something that will take a lot of undoing on Clark's part.
                  Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luthor5339
                    I wear glasses, if I want to hide in public - various games - all I needed/need to do is take them off and suddenly... I blend in and they can't spot me unless they do a really intense double take. Glasses actually work - they change the shape of someone's face.
                    Agree, superman/blur whatever is some sort of powerful superhuman, stereotypically people would not think someone who is geeky looking with glasses, who does some boring job, can be such a cool and powerful being.

Comment

It works in the comics and the films, doesn't really need a debate, the writers didn't spend 10 years coming up with this, it was already there, Clark is a completely different personality with the glasses, that's why it works

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                        I agree, I think it should be left to our imagination. And they have definitely taken a different tact with Smallville, so it's not like he's going to be doing public appearances for a long time, until the law and the government learn to trust him. The more they see he isn't wearing a mask, the more they will trust him. The more he explains about himself, the more they will trust him. As I said in a previous thread, he kind of NEEDS to tell them he's an alien who's here to help, or they will never stop looking for his 'identity'. But kind of like in LNC, if they think he's an alien, who only arrived on earth when The Blur's saves started, they are less likely to consider someone who has a chilhood history on earth in the running.
                        That's a good idea. If Clark tells them he only arrived on earth when he was seen as the RB Blur, they won't even look for a background on earth before that. I think throwing off the public would be done well with a news article(s) by Lois.

Comment

I buy it but only because I think it's a weird disguise in any incarnation of Superman.

Comment

Someone brought up a great point...

Check out Desaad in the morgue, he was very timid and a normal morgue technician dude and at first you may not even had known it was Desaad but after a few minutes you realized who he actually was as viewers.
                            Last edited by PrincessKent; 02-20-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CloisShipper
                              I buy it but only because I think it's a weird disguise in any incarnation of Superman.
                              ya it is weird how the only difference are his glasses. only in a comic world would anyone actually believe they are different people. but thats whats good about this stuff is that you dont have to think hard about being fooled by a disguise because as the reader/watcher always knows clark is superman and bruce is batman and so on.
                              Last edited by superhippie2000; 02-20-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

IMO, SV has created a situation where it is not believable that people who have seen Clark for the past few seasons won't recognize him when he uses that face for Superman. They should have introduced the disguise much earlier to make it really work. At this point, other than enhanced glasses (magic/FOS tech), I think their best option would have been recycling an idea from the 40s: Superman's ability to change his facial features. I am not talking about the level of shape-shifting that we see from MM. No, just some tweaks here and there, the nose and chin/jawline, eye colour (I prefer Superman's eyes being blue, an unearthly blue); perhaps height and hair colour (brown vs jet-black). It would be still be Tom Welling but with a more dramatic difference between his Clark and Superman identities to make it believable that the people who have seen him and interacted with him for the past few seasons wouldn't realize that they are the same person. I think this is necessary in this messed up incarnation of the character to make it work and hey, it has some basis in the comics too.

I would also like to see Clark make it possible for him and Superman to appear together in public using MM and/or androids (we have already seen that SV's Toyman is capable of making realistic androids, so it wouldn't be weird if Clark uses either Toyman's tech or FOS tech or both to make this possible).
                                Last edited by Exedore; 02-20-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎