Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you buy that people wont be able to tell the difference between Clark and Sup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hoping this was going to be handled differently. The glasses have always of course been lame and not the best disguise but when they are put on a couple months before he becomes Superman, just stupid. After all of the years of watching the show I was hoping this would be handled better.
    The episode unintentionally demonstrated just how completely stupid the idea is. Clark has been at the daily planet for years and has a headline with his mug near the title of superhero. He's called out as looking exactly like the blur and the answer is to have Clark wear glasses as if that will make a soon to be revealed Blur not resemble Clark. Then when he wears glasses he isn't even recognized as Clark by a co-worker which might be a warning flag that the big reveal will unbelievably resemble who they know as Clark. Not to mention that Clark tells Lois that he has lived his life being the Blur which is absolutely true.

If he is 25 or whatever, all but 3 months of his life would have been behaving as the blur. He comes from Smallville with meteor freaks and has drawn suspicion for years. At what point is it not believable that Clark could not be Superman? Especially if you consider those that have known him throughout highschool and then moved away and didn't get to see him use glasses for a month or so before seeing someone that looks exactly like the Clark you know, be Superman?

Sorry, I know this has been discussed forever on the boards but now that the show has in fact, taken this approach to the glasses, I just find it to be the worst possible writing ever. I get the suspension of disbelief but this is ridiculous. It's as if I went to Walmart with my mother and she buys glasses for the first time and puts them on and I then wait outside the dressing room as she tries on clothes. I can't tell you how many times she then removes the glasses in the dressing room and walks right by me without me knowing it could possibly be her.

Comment

No one buys but it's part of Superman cannon so we let it go.

Now, the thing in SV, imo, is that they handled the subjet the wrong way. Clark should've worn the glasses sooner, at beggining of season 8, specifically. Afterall he said he was coming to the planet to be in the midle fo the action.

Somewhere there was the right moment so he could build his bambling, nerdy, mild mannered persona. right at this moment everyone knows Clark as he is and has been for this long.

For me THAT was the problem. The glasses had to have appeared sooner

Comment

We all knew this problem would come up. He has gone much too long without the glasses and the disguise at the Daily Planet.

But there is one thing that gives me hope. `Homecoming´. There we got to see how different the Clark Kent disguise can look like. I think they are doing the change slowly, first the glasses, then the hairstyle, next the mild mannered and a little clumsy attitude (they already started that when he bumped into that guy). I just hope they don´t give him the complete bumbling Clark attitude from the Chris Reeve movies.

And Superman won´t look exactly like Clark Kent before the glasses. I think TPTB have a clear concept of that.

So, as a summary: I saw the problem coming for a long time and always had my worries about it - until `Homecoming´ aired.

Comment

Well guys why don't you all WAIT a little... I mean for all we know Zatanna might really make them magic glasses at the end... for know he's not going public...

Comment

I like the distinctive appearance they give Clark vs. that they give Superman in the comics since they made the 2 look quite different. Plus, in the comics, pretty much everyone he ever interacted with in public who didn't know his identity always saw him with glasses.

I also thought CR's Superman looked very different when compared to his Clark Kent. The glasses he wore accentuated a different part of his face & made his eyes & face look very different than when he didn't wear them. His hairstyle also was vastly different between his 2 identities.

As far as TW's Clark, I thought they did a good job making 2017 Clark look much different in Homecoming than the usual Clark or the Blur. But the problem is that anyone who went to highschool with him would remember him as he was without glasses, which is how his yearbook photo also has him. It would have been cool if back in season 4 they would have had an episode where yearbook photos were taken & for some reason Clark had to wear glasses on that day.

Comment

Well, as much as I hate Clark emasculating himself further (since the SV writers have done it to him for nine long years), it does make sense that if he continued to act the way he was, walked the same way etc, the glasses alone wouldn't have hidden his identity. They should have brought out the glasses earlier on in the seasons when Clark was still immature and uncertain, so it would make sense that he would be wearing them now. But, ah, that's the beauty of hindsight, and also would have called for some imaginative, brave writing!!!!

Comment

Well, I accept that in the comics I read, when I rewatch L&C, The Animated Series or the Superman Movies, so yeah... I can accept it here as well.

Besides, it's not ALL about looks, that's what I think people don't understand. It's about how others perceive him. He's not just Superman (or the Blur) wearing glasses. He acts different, talks different, walks different. He IS different, and he explained it very well in the episode. People will think Clark Kent is just some normal guy, not someone who can be super.

Comment

Its plain and Simple if you don't believe in the glasses.....then.......sorry but you don't believe in Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by cathy14

Now, the thing in SV, imo, is that they handled the subjet the wrong way. Clark should've worn the glasses sooner, at beggining of season 8, specifically. Afterall he said he was coming to the planet to be in the midle fo the action.

Somewhere there was the right moment so he could build his bambling, nerdy, mild mannered persona. right at this moment everyone knows Clark as he is and has been for this long.

Agreed. Or atleast in S9. "Idol" would have been an option. I hope the glasses stick now but seeing the promos and the comments I don't think they won't. Just another tease until the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by hal-jordan
                      its plain and simple if you don't believe in the glasses.....then.......sorry but you don't believe in superman.
                      ding ding ding ding.

Comment

It's part of the story... STORY... as in NOT REAL!

Like every great story, about a great hero, it has many message that lie behind the more reality stretching aspects.

IMO the glasses are 'believable' in a story sense for a few reasons:

That people will believe what they want to believe - People might look at Clark and think he looks a lot like Superman, but the point is they don't think ANYONE could be Superman, cause Superman isn't a person to them. They just don't think about it like that.

That love is blind - Lois' initial crush stems from her awe of someone so good and so unattainable. And because she's so wrapped up in her crush, she doesn't think for a second that she's going to be introduced to him, in street clothing, in glasses, in this meek country boy persona. I mean at first she barely even looks at him... and by the time she does actually start to see him, Clark has already started to plant the seeds of distance between himself and Superman. She won't trust that little niggling feeling that they do look a bit alike, because she doesn't really WANT to accept it.

In Smallville, it's a little less believable.

Especially because everyone KNOWS that these heroes have secret identities and live normal lives, because of Oliver, because of the whole VRA thing, and because Clark has chosen to stay in the shadows until now.

That was kind of the point of the episode tho. He's taken a step towards changing all that. He's going to make people forget about Clark Kent as they knew him, so that when he shows his face as Superman, they will see a hero who obviously has nothing to hide.

I know it's a stretch. Because SO MANY people know Clark Kent without glasses. But you just kind of have to accept that it's a story, and the glasses disguise are a MAJOR part of it.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by cathy14

Completely agree. But we all knew they were gonna put it off as long as possible. Why, I don't know.

I can only imagine that they think us girls won't follow the show so much if Clark is wearing glasses, and doesn't look as 'hot'.

Boy, do they not get it... He's DRIPPINGLY HOT in the glasses
                        Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 02-20-2011, 05:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by wafflles87
                          Well, I accept that in the comics I read, when I rewatch L&C, The Animated Series or the Superman Movies, so yeah... I can accept it here as well.

Besides, it's not ALL about looks, that's what I think people don't understand. It's about how others perceive him. He's not just Superman (or the Blur) wearing glasses. He acts different, talks different, walks different. He IS different, and he explained it very well in the episode. People will think Clark Kent is just some normal guy, not someone who can be super.
                          I agree. Remember in Homecoming, those two people referred to him as 'just the guy from the 8th floor'.

Comment

Aren't there stories in the comic where Clark was able to change his voice and some other things about himself to separate himself and Supes completely? I know I read something like that

Comment

I don't get too hung up on it. Its been part of the mythos for more than 70 years and I will accept it in SV just like in every other incantation of this great inspirational story

Comment

I don't buy TW's portrayal of CK/SM being significantly different. Superman was just on TV here and the way Christopher Reeve portrayed the differences between CK and SM was like night and day, it made TW's portrayal look even more one dimensional. TW just doesn't have the same ability to do it justice imo, this late in the game and with the world and his wife seemingly knowing his identity already. Mythos or not it's been handled poorly.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎