Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...Clark Kent is the disguise and he's always been the Blur...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incomplete Ends
    I'm starting to get sick of that quote (not you personaly, just the quote). Last time I checked this was Smallville, not The New Adventures of Lois and Clark.
    With a story like Superman, and there being so many different versions of it from other tv shows, movies, comics and whatever else I think it's pretty normal for different people to like different interpretations. I'll never like Smallville's Clark as much as I like LnC's Clark, but it's still a fun show most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
      I've always hated the idea of making either one of Clark's identities just a disguise: Clark Kent and Superman. So while I don't like idea of Clark being a disguise, I also have never fully liked the "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I do" thing from LnC either.

SV was, honestly, the prefect chance to go the in-between route - to show that both sides of Clark are both real sides of him, that he had to split apart - showing each one separately to the world; but both very real parts of who he is. Just reducing one or the other to nothing but a disguise or "what he can do" is the simplistic answer to the identity question IMO.
      Word. This is exactly what I wanted from Smallville.

Comment

I have no problem with it. He needs a disguise otherwise they'll know who he is and even in teh movies clark kent that his parents raised wasnt a nerd?? so I dont see an issue here

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
          I've always hated the idea of making either one of Clark's identities just a disguise: Clark Kent and Superman. So while I don't like idea of Clark being a disguise, I also have never fully liked the "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I do" thing from LnC either.

SV was, honestly, the prefect chance to go the in-between route - to show that both sides of Clark are both real sides of him, that he had to split apart - showing each one separately to the world; but both very real parts of who he is. Just reducing one or the other to nothing but a disguise or "what he can do" is the simplistic answer to the identity question IMO.
          Agreed. And I always thought too that SV did a nice job of reconciling both identities.

Comment

I remember being in the theater for Kill Bill Vol. 2 and hearing that Superman speech, and thinking, "Ummm... no." That was Superman pre-Crisis. Post-Crisis, the John Byrne "Man of Steel" Superman is that Clark is the true identity. I understand that since "Man of Steel," there have been two or three more versions of the origin, but dammit, I grew up with "Man of Steel," that's my Superman.

Comment

I haven't fully digested this yet, but I kind of got the impression that even though Clark was saying that "Clark Kent" was the disguise, I think it was implied with all the "Mr. Kents" in this episode that it's really "Mr. Kent" that's the true disguise.

Clark Kent is the guy that we've been watching on the farm, with his friends, etc. Superman is when he gets to truly be himself by exhibiting all that he is and can do. But Mr. Kent is the reporter with the glasses who protects both Superman and Clark Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by Incomplete Ends
                I'm starting to get sick of that quote (not you personaly, just the quote). Last time I checked this was Smallville, not The New Adventures of Lois and Clark.
                Yeah, that's how I've always felt about that quote when it comes to SV. LnC-Clark felt that way because, for all purposes, he was just Clark Kent at first. When he became Superman, he had no idea about Krypton and his whole alien heritage: he didn't know his birth name was Kal-El, (and he didn't find out that it was until the end of the 3rd season of the show, long after he'd been Superman for a few years), he didn't know about Krypton, nothing. All he knew was that he was a alien from somewhere who was found and raised by Jonathan and Martha. He didn't find out a thing about his heritage until he was in his mid-20s.

SV-Clark is completely different. He's spent pretty much about 10 years coming to terms with and accepting his Kryptonian heritage and family. All long before he fully has become Superman. IMO, he's as much Kal-El as he is Clark Kent. Being "the Blur" ISN'T just "what he can do." It is very much a real part of who he is, just as much as Clark Kent is a part of who he is.

LnC-Clark and SV-Clark have not had the same relationship when it comes to their alien heritages. So , IMO, that quote doesn't in any way relate to SV-Clark or the way he's approached becoming a hero, especially the past two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal-Jordan
                  Not really considering that's how it's done in the comics currently, Clark Kent is 2 things he is a person himself with family and friends but he is also the Mask for Superman, i like it.
                  I agree, but it took too long for this to happen. This should have happened either last season when he slipped on those glasses or back in Identity.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
                    ^ Exactly! Both are part of him, but he's always been Clark Kent, he hasn't always been the blur.

"Superman is what I can DO, Clark is who I AM"-Lois & Clark
                    i love that line. One of the best lines I've ever heard. I'm so mad how they did that. Clark Kent is just a word. No man, that's a name your parents gave you. The ones that raised you, you don't dismiss it like that. That's kind of disrespectful. If i had a son he said that, i would be kind of hurt.

Comment

Sorry I don't agree with that from Kill Bill. He IS Clark Kent and IMO to say otherwise is an insult to Martha & Jonathan. He's always thought of himself as Clark, not the blur.

Clark Kent is NOT just a word

Saying Clark Kent is just a word is paying respect to his parents? Poor Martha & Jonathan

I don't think it's disrespectful. If someone said you couldn't use your name anymore, would you change your whole personality with it?

Comment

you know its the clark kent nerd bumbling idiot thing that made me hate the cristoper reeve movies. i love the man of steel comics and superman the animated series and lois and clark, because there clark was the real person and he used superman to help people. it just made more sense to me. i am very dissapointed.

Comment

As much as I really, really, really don't like the idea of Clark Kent being the disguise, they came up with a very nice, well-thought out way of him explaining it so that I didn't hate it right off the bat. Kudos on the writing for that scene and speech, because it was an important one, and I think they nailed it.

Comment

I'm kind of conflicted about this since Clark is going to turn into what I didn't want and that is a bumbling Clark I'm just going to say that Clark Kent with the glasses is not the real person and is a disguise. Clark Kent without the glasses and Superman is the real person. I guess that gives him 3 sides, imo.

Comment

^ Exactly! Both are part of him, but he's always been Clark Kent, he hasn't always been the blur.

"Superman is what I can DO, Clark is who I AM"-Lois & Clark
                              I like the Lois and Clark version but I also have a fondness for the Christopher Reeve bumbling Clark is the disguise so I'm not going to complain. It's still Clark and he's still going to be Superman.

And, remembering Homecoming, future Clark was not really nerdy, he was hot!

Comment

Originally posted by bennyjr123
                                I loved that entire speech. The point is, yeah he's paying respect to his parents by being the man that they raised. The man that they raised is the blur/superman. Clark Kent was just a name. I loved the theme of this episode. A name is just a name.
                                *clap* *clap* *clap* exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎