Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Masquerade?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This reminded me a bit of Dick Tracy when watching...

Comment

• I was thrilled with this episode. Couldn't be happier!

Comment

• I liked this episode but it seemed weird to have Clark suddenly realise that he needs to embrace the idea of a dual identity in order to prevent people from discovering who he really is. The writers had already covered that ground in the likes of Identity, Infamous and Idol, and he got a glimpse of the future in Homecoming where the same theme came into play, and though they try to cover this point by having Clark say that up to now he's never needed a disguise, that's not actually true as it has been made apparent to him long before now.

Comment

• Clark decides that it's finally time for him to take on a disguise. Meanwhile Chloe and Oliver finds themselves in the middle of something, totally not lifted from the film Date Night. I could've done with less Chloe and Oliver (though, I liked her looking at her yearbook, with the people from "Forever" in it. Always appreciate continuity) and more focus on Clark's disguise. Though, there are two problems with the Clark disguise plot:

1) He saw his future self in "Homecoming", so he already knows what his disguise will look like. Which makes the scene, with Lois putting a hood on the Blur jacket pointless, beyond from the opportunity for the writer to make some meta comments about someone like Impulse wearing a hoodie and sunglasses.

2) Clark's already worked there for years, so he couldn't suddenly begin to wear a disguise as Clark Kent, while no one at work recognizes him as Superman.

The Clark Kent glasses have always been a questionable (and often parodied) disguise. I recently picked up an old Superboy comic, where Jonathan even points out how flimsy it is. With this episode, the writers had a chance at motivating WHY the glasses work. Don't think previous adaptations ever explored the glasses, so here the show had a shot at doing something new. Of course, the problem there is what could they do? In "Hex", Zatanna was shown to be able to physically transform a human, so Clark could've asked her to put a spell on him, so he looks different as the Blur and the glasses serve as an on/off switch. The problem with that scenario, is that it cancels out the need for the glasses, since he'd physically have his appearance changed. And why glasses as the on/off switch? Why not a ring, a watch, a belt or something else? You end up with a scenario, where the glasses aren't needed. If he wears glasses, it's simply because Clark Kent is well-known (through the comics and other adaptations) as wearing glasses, not because the show's own universe requires him to wear them, to conceal his identity.
          Last edited by jon-el87; 10-28-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎