Television Ratings for "Masquerade"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wasn't happy with the way the show returned from break. I did enjoy Masquerade very much. However, I also feel a lot of the emotions running across fandom right now are heightened because we are so close to the end. And I understand that. People have invested 10 years in this show. Emotions and anger and joy and fear and disagreements are going to be intensified as we get to the finish line.

I still really enjoy talking about the show. At the same time, I've come to a place where I feel like what will be will be. The final episodes are written and done. They are being filmed. Nothing I say at this point is going to change anything. I'm just anxiously awaiting what will play out on my screen. And I'm sure I'll like some of the choices just as much as I'm sure I won't like some of the choices because that's just life. But I do think its harder to talk about the show right now than it was a year or two ago because everything is heightened right now with it being the end. I don't have as much as to say right now---not because I'm not interested---but just because at this point....what will be will be.

As for the ratings...I really don't know. I didn't think the show came back from break well at all and I do think that had a lingering effect. I also think the CW's complete lack of promotion with the show has continued to take it's toll. I do think the ratings will rise again as we approach the end of the season. As long as Clark is kept in the forefront...I think people will come back.

Comment

• Guys, I'm not making this about K-Site, as not only was that NOT my point (since I included it with other examples), its against the board rules. And I know people that have left for their own reasons too, which had little to do with perceived "negativity".

Its my perception, based on the different places I visit, which includes K-Site but is not limited to K-Site. I don't see any on-line place that I'm familiar with that seems to be over the moon with this season, and I believe thats reflected in the ratings slide.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbird4u
        I never said it wasn't. Just stating a fact. I know people who quit coming here for negativity reasons. So the whole less traffic thing may not fly.
        well a lot of members were banned, some followed with those folks lol

----- Added 36 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by BadToad
        Guys, I'm not making this about K-Site, as not only was that NOT my point (since I included it with other examples), its against the board rules. And I know people that have left for their own reasons too, which had little to do with perceived "negativity".

Its my perception, based on the different places I visit, which includes K-Site but is not limited to K-Site. I don't see any on-line place that I'm familiar with that seems to be over the moon with this season, and I believe thats reflected in the ratings slide.
        I agree.
        Last edited by Dominicus; 02-23-2011, 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by BadToad
          Guys, I'm not making this about K-Site, as not only was that NOT my point (since I included it with other examples), its against the board rules. And I know people that have left for their own reasons too, which had little to do with perceived "negativity".

It could be, but it could be several things. We will never know.

Comment

But I do know that this just wasn't the reaction I was expecting to see towards SV's final season. I think, JMO, that the general reaction you're seeing, reflected in the numbers week to week, is directly proportional to the quality of S10, or lack thereof.

Also, the CW isn't pushing this season at all. And that certainly can't be helping things at all.

Just my take on it.
            I agree with the bolded even hardcore fans i know were losing interest because of the storyline, I barely tuned in this week.

Comment

• Guys, I'm not making this about K-Site, as not only was that NOT my point (since I included it with other examples), its against the board rules. And I know people that have left for their own reasons too, which had little to do with perceived "negativity"

I never thought that you were. I was merely stating why I personally have been having a harder time talking about the show lately. That's all.

I saw places that seemed to be generally enjoying it (or enjoying decent amounts of it) prior to the return with the most recent episodes.

I thought Masquerade was a nice return to form. I wish more people had seen it. I hope that people who enjoyed it return to the show in coming weeks. Some more Clark-centric episodes in the final stretch of the season should help with that as I do believe that episodes that focus on Clark and keep him at the center seem to do better in the ratings.

Comment

I think the ratings slide reflect a certain malaise surrounding the show that I see reflected in the fandom. I see less traffic here at K-Site. I see less reviews on Live Journal. I see less chatter on twitter. Now, perhaps other places I don't visit are going like gangbusters, but I sort of doubt it. In the last season of a show, I would expect fans to be buzzing, and excited. I just am not seeing that. Particularly since the show came back from hiatus, and how it came back.
                I certainly agree with the morosity of the fandom.
                But I have to say, the ratings in average are just a tiny bit better this season then last year after the same number of episodes. Several episodes had overnight ratings below 2 millions last season. I think the ratings will continue to drop and then we'll see a small spike of 3 millions for the last episode (because I think they will promote the last episode a little bit).

Comment

• ^^I actually think it's a general lack of promotion that the malaise is there too.

It's like a really long car ride when you're a kid. You know Disneyland is the endpoint, but after 8 or 9 hours in the car, you just don't care about the last mile, you want to see Disneyland.

Like you said, I'm thinking with more Clark-centric episodes and the last few episodes coming up to air, the viewers will come back. I have a feeling this final hiatus throughout March will be a killer and the CW REALLY should promote it.

Comment

• t's like a really long car ride when you're a kid. You know Disneyland is the endpoint, but after 8 or 9 hours in the car, you just don't care about the last mile, you want to see Disneyland.
                    To me, at least when stuck with so much Chloe and the secondary non mythos romance getting more attention than the true epic romance, it's like traveling 8 or 9 hours with Knott's Berry Farm as endpoint

On the bright side this Friday's episode may do better simply because Masquerade fell so low that hopefully the only way to go is up

Comment

I think the ratings slide reflect a certain malaise surrounding the show that I see reflected in the fandom. I see less traffic here at K-Site. I see less reviews on Live Journal. I see less chatter on twitter. Now, perhaps other places I don't visit are going like gangbusters, but I sort of doubt it. In the last season of a show, I would expect fans to be buzzing, and excited. I just am not seeing that. Particularly since the show came back from hiatus, and how it came back.

Now, its hard to argue that ratings across the CW board are pretty depressing. So, maybe I'm wrong, and its nothing particular to Smallville.

But I do know that this just wasn't the reaction I was expecting to see towards SV's final season. I think, JMO, that the general reaction you're seeing, reflected in the numbers week to week, is directly proportional to the quality of S10, or lack thereof.

Also, the CW isn't pushing this season at all. And that certainly can't be helping things at all.

Just my take on it.
                      I agree. if you go on the "what did you think about salvation" thread they were about 900-1000 people who voted where as now there are 300-400 votes for masquerade which was a pivotal episode. . granted that was a season finale but I do notice the drop in votes throughout the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by lexluthor408
                        I agree. if you go on the "what did you think about salvation" thread they were about 900-1000 people who voted where as now there are 300-400 votes for masquerade which was a pivotal episode. . granted that was a season finale but I do notice the drop in votes throughout the season.
                        While this is veering very close to "talking about the boards on the boards," it's an interesting subject to me. But with a season finale... of course there will be more votes, because there'll be more to talk about all season.

But also now, people have Twitter and other places they go to talk about the show... kinda sadly in K-Site's case... but it's like that for any show here. The Supernatural sub-forums used to get 2-3x the traffic and posts. Vampire Diaries has fallen a lot too. I hope it doesn't mean people are getting sick of the site, but yeah.

As for "Masquerade..." well... I do agree there's some apathy there, too. It's been a week and I still haven't (and probably won't) posted my thoughts myself.

Comment

• DVR Ratings about Masquerade, 2.9 mil of vewers:

Thanks to Matt by the numbers, he is a very cool guy \o/

MattMitovich Matt Mitovich
                          @
                          @Luiz_Fernando_J It aired Feb 18? 2.9 million total viewers, up 31% #smallville "masquerade"

*Smallville S10 Final & DVR
                          #1 Lazarus ~ *2.98mil. & Live+7= 3.90mil.

#2 Shield ~ *2.38mil. & Live+7= 3.26mil.

#3 Supergirl ~ (P)*2.30mil. & Live+7= 2.93mil.

#4 Homecoming {200th Epi.} ~ *3.19mil. & Live+7= 3.73mil.

#5 Isis ~ *2.60mil. & Live+7= 3.31mil.

#6 Harvest ~ *2.96mil. & Live+7= 3.64mil.

#7 Ambush ~ *2.63mil & Live+7= 3.35mil.

#8 Abandoned ~ (P)*2.90mil. & Live+7= 3.6?mil.

#9 Patriot ~ (P)*2.60mil. & Live+7= 3.23mil.

#10 Luthor ~ (P)*2.76mil.

#11 Icarus ~ *2.55mil.

#12 Collateral ~ *2.38mil. & Live+7= 2.94mil.

#13 Beacon ~ *2.34mil. & Live+7= 2.95mil.

#14 Masquerade ~ *2.22mil. Live+7= 2.90mil

#15 Fortune ~ *2.56mil.

#16 Scion ~*2.18 mil
                          Last edited by Luiz Fernando; 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Thanks, Luiz

MattMitovich Matt Mitovich
                            @
                            @Luiz_Fernando_J It aired Feb 18? 2.9 million total viewers, up 31% #smallville "masquerade"

*Smallville S10 Final & DVR
                            #1 Lazarus ~ *2.98mil. & Live+7= 3.90mil.

#2 Shield ~ *2.38mil. & Live+7= 3.26mil.

#3 Supergirl ~ (P)*2.30mil. & Live+7= 2.93mil.

#4 Homecoming {200th Epi.} ~ *3.19mil. & Live+7= 3.73mil.

#5 Isis ~ *2.60mil. & Live+7= 3.31mil.

#6 Harvest ~ *2.96mil. & Live+7= 3.64mil.

#7 Ambush ~ *2.63mil & Live+7= 3.35mil.

#8 Abandoned ~ (P)*2.90mil. & Live+7= 3.6?mil.

#9 Patriot ~ (P)*2.60mil. & Live+7= 3.23mil.

#10 Luthor ~ (P)*2.76mil.

#11 Icarus ~ *2.55mil.

#12 Collateral ~ *2.38mil. & Live+7= 2.94mil.

#13 Beacon ~ *2.34mil. & Live+7= 2.95mil.

#14 Masquerade ~ *2.22mil. & Live+7= 2.90mil

#15 Fortune ~ *2.56mil.

#16 Scion ~*2.18mil.

Comment

• so scion's rating is actually a little bit higher than escape and fortune's rating i think is higher than conspiracy

Comment

• Repeat on Friday, 1.48mil. Demo A18-49 0.6
                                Not bad for a repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍