No announcement yet.

Lois: "You're an AMERICAN Hero, Clark."

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lois: "You're an AMERICAN Hero, Clark."

This line brought a bitter sweet tear to my eye. It was wonderfully delivered and oh so full of very rich irony.

I do not think the writers intended it... because I simply do not think they have the cajones... but it came across as a slap at the selection of Cavill to play Supes in the upcomming film.

I can promise you now that a British actor has been chosen to be Supes on the big screen we will not hear the classic "Truth, Justice & the American Way" spoken in reference to Superman.

But at least we had this....

Lois smiles sweetly, "You're and American Hero, Clark."
    Last edited by FanoftheMan; 02-17-2011, 10:12 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks

I believe this was filmed long before Cavill was announced to play Superman.

Comment

Lois: "You're an AMERICAN Hero, Clark."
      Me:*sniff**sniff*"That was sooo beautiful"
      BF:"You are such a sap"

Comment

Originally posted by FanoftheMan
        but it came across as a slap at the selection of Cavill to play Supes in the upcomming film.

I can promise you now that a British actor has been chosen to be Supes on the big screen we will not hear the classic "Trueth, Justice & the American Way" spoken in reference to Superman.
        Why? Do you think that Hugh Laurie is the only Brit with the ability to pull off an American accent? Are you suggesting that merely by casting a Brit that Clark Kent will no longer be from Kansas? I think those assumptions are unfounded. American actors have been taking on non-American roles as long as there has been a Hollywood. Some have mastered those roles well and some have not. There is absolutely no reason to assume that by casting a Brit they intend to rewrite Superman or his origin story. Clark Kent was raised by a Kansas farmer and his wife Jonathan and Martha Kent. As long as there is a Superman he will continue to fight for "truth, justice and the American way." There is a reason the suit is red and blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara
          Why? Do you think that Hugh Laurie is the only Brit with the ability to pull off an American accent? Are you suggesting that merely by casting a Brit that Clark Kent will no longer be from Kansas? I think those assumptions are unfounded. American actors have been taking on non-American roles as long as there has been a Hollywood. Some have mastered those roles well and some have not. There is absolutely no reason to assume that by casting a Brit they intend to rewrite Superman or his origin story. Clark Kent was raised by a Kansas farmer and his wife Jonathan and Martha Kent. As long as there is a Superman he will continue to fight for "truth, justice and the American way." There is a reason the suit is red and blue.

I wasn't trying to suggest that the actor being British is an intent to change Superman's origins.

I AM however wondering if we would hear the line "Truth, Justice & the AMERICAN way" from this crew. I wonder if we'd get this line from a Britsh actor to be quite honest.

And for the record... I do not hold Cavill being British against him... I think Christian Bale is DAMN good as Batman.

Comment

Originally posted by FanoftheMan
            I wasn't trying to suggest that the actor being British is an intent to change Superman's origins.

I AM however wondering if we would hear the line "Truth, Justice & the AMERICAN way" from this crew. I wonder if we'd get this line from a Britsh actor to be quite honest.

And for the record... I do not hold Cavill being British against him... I think Christian Bale is DAMN good as Batman.
            We never got "Truth, justice, and the American way" during Superman Returns.

Perry actually said, "Does he still fight for truth? Justice? All that stuff?"

Comment

An intent to change his origins? He was created by a Canadian based on an idea by a german.

There is no place of overwhelming patriotism in the modern world. Its dangerous. It teaches people they are better than others because of where they were plopped out and over the years has led to the most horrific atrocities. The American Way is no better or different than The French Way, The German Way and The British Way. We all strive for the pursuit of happiness and liberty.

Comment

I don't care what nationality the actor playing Superman is, as long as he fits the role and plays it well.

Comment

There was a time when it was truth, justice and the American way, but once the JLA international got started up it became truth and justice. Which I agree with, since he is a inspiration for not only Americans but he world. I can see the direction smallville is taking with the American way with the plot lines, but Cavill being a brit has nothing to do with his ability to portray this character.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
                    I don't care what nationality the actor playing Superman is, as long as he fits the role and plays it well.
                    Exactly.

But more on topic, I thought this was a very good line.
                    It made it even more awesome coming from Lois!

Comment

The phrase originated as "Truth and Justice" and went through a number of variations. The "American Way" version has become the most well known one mainly due to the George Reeves show. I wouldn't really mind if they went back to the original one. At the same time, I have no problem with the "American Way" version either. Hey, Superman is an American icon after all. By all means, show him to be proud of being an American.

What I do have a problem is with is when they take the "American Way" version and replace those words with something lame like "All that stuff" (as in SR) or "other stuff" (as in, an episode of SV long ago; yes even SV has done this, big surprise). That's ridiculous and screams that they are ashamed of being American. Lame. Go back to the original if you want to but don't do something stupid like that.

And I don't see what the actor being British has to do with anything. What matters is whether he will be able to convincingly play the role and that depends on his acting capabilities, not nationality. And as I pointed out above, WB has chickened out of this before, both on SV and SR. Did Routh or Welling being American prevent that? No, if they are scared of it, they won't allow it, no matter who is playing the role.

Comment

to the original poster, you apparently have no qualms with a Canadian, Erica Durance, playing an American feminist icon, Lois Lane, but you are peeved that a British man will play Superman?

ha!

A Welsh guy also plays Batman! And no complaints about a Dutch-Chinese-Canadian girl playing Lana Lang?
                        Last edited by omegadirective; 02-18-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎