Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Wearing the glasses" conclusion poorly reached

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pulled this post I made out of a similar thread that was made few months back in order to share it here:

"As for the glasses, It's not about necessarily about actually disguising his face. It's about trying to sell the idea that Clark Kent is a regular man with flaws(such as impaired eyesight), and that's were supposedly it's partially(if not totally) successful.

The hope in this disguise is that people will see the glasses first and instantly dismiss him, because in most of their minds, superheros don't have such superfical flaws such as the need for prescription eyewear. (Best Example is the part in the Homecoming ep where that woman and her friend walk up to Clark in the future Daily Planet the woman says, "See, I told you it's not him, its just some guy from the 8th floor")

And what some of you say is true, the glasses is only part of the equation, especially in the Smallville Incarnation of things.

It's a fair guess to say that Clark will most likely still be moving at superspeed a good deal of the time as Superman when saving ppl, at least for the first few years as his official public superhero persona blossums, all the while his co-workers at the Daily Planet slowly but surely get used to seeing him in the glasses. He'll start combing his hair differently, start dressing differently. He becomes more "Clark Kent" to them. Likely it'll be a steady progression so ppl dont notice right away. It'll stems from the "well, we're all getting older" mentality, so they won't have a place to really judge.

We live the digital age now, and with Watchtower(and a red queen of a senator mama) it'll be a snap to track down almost 90% of info related to clark and deal with it according(as the remaining 10% is actual physical paper files and photographs)

As for the enemies who already know clark from before he ever even became the Red-Blue Blur, well, that's just something Clark's gonna to deal with on a one on one basis.

Years down the line when Clark's face has matured a great deal from how he looks in Smallville, He'll be in a more comfortable position to slow down a bit as Superman and let people actually see his face from time to time."

Comment

Awesome analysis debeerguy() !!! You got my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
        ... how could it not be?

I mean the whole idea. If I wear glasses know one will recognize me! ... it's a dumb idea, how could you concluded a dumb idea any way but poorly?
        Reminds me of Lois and Clark, when Tempus told Lois how dumb she was not to notice the difference with Clark with and without glasses. I know the whole idea is dumb, but its been part of the canon for 50 years and we just ran with it.

And the whole geek and hero aspect of both Clark and Superman, I can see why nobody would know. But yes people close to Clark are the only ones who will and would eventually put the two and two together.

Like I really do think Perry deep down knows Clark is Superman, someone as brilliant as him as a reporter would of figured it out on his own, he probably just chooses to keep it to himself. But Jimmy can be easily fooled.

Comment

Originally posted by clark_superman
          Like I really do think Perry deep down knows Clark is Superman, someone as brilliant as him as a reporter would of figured it out on his own, he probably just chooses to keep it to himself. But Jimmy can be easily fooled.
          That's kinda what Bruce/Batman thought about Perry White as well as Jim Gordon

Comment

I think it will work because I don't think anyone will be looking for Superman to be dressing like a regular guy. If you live in a world with no superheroes and all of a sudden Superman comes popping in, are you going to be looking for a guy on the street?

You are probably going to assume he is Superman 24 hours a day. You would probably assume why would he want to be a regular joe like us when he has all of those powers. No one is going to be looking for a news reporter with glasses to really be Superman.

Comment

Chris did it beautifully in the films. A slouch, speaking in a bit of a higher register, plus the timid demeanor. TW hasn't appeared as timid, but could, or undoubtedly will, pull it off.....

Comment

I found this explanation on the internet. In the comics: "Superman by using glass from his rocket ship for his glasses, combined with his natural ability to hypnotize others, was able to push his attempt at a disguise to the subconscious mind of those around him." This maybe be a little far fetched, but not as much as someone simply being fooled by a pair of glasses and a bad haircut. This could be a way for Smallville to explain how Clark can fool those around him into believing he's not Superman with a simple pair of glasses.
                Last edited by fitmis; 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

John Byrne's run had a pretty decent explaination during his Superman run that, since Superman doesn't wear a mask(and sort of wears a 'mask', i.e. the glasses, as Clark), most people assume that he doesn't have a secret identity. Batman figured it out, and Lois came close, but for the most part people look at Superman and think, "What you see is what you get".

I forget where I read it, but one way of explaining why the disguise works is "Just because someone sees a cab driver who looks like Tom Cruise, it doesn't mean they're going to assume that Tom Cruise slums it up as a cab driver between movies."

Lex Luthor had that mentality during Byrne's run. There was an issue where Luthor suspected a connection between Clark and Superman. So Luthor hires a computer programmer to input all the data they had accumulated on both Clark and Superman, and the computer's result read: "Clark Kent is Superman". Lex's reaction? He fired the programmer. He couldn't conceive that someone as powerful as Superman would want a normal life as a mere human. Which is kind of telling: for all his protestations that he wants to defend humans from Superman's "tyranny", Lex holds all humans who aren't him with nothing but contempt.

Comment

well, the man can run at the lightening speed, supposedly fly (work in progress i might add) shoot fire out of his eyes, has x-ray vision, can super hear. might as well believe he can hypnotise people by just wearing glasses.

Comment

he decided he'd need to wear glasses back in "Idol" in season 9...he just never did. Seeing himself in the future was confirmation that he would. It's just another way that he keeps his destiny at arm's reach

Comment

Reminds me of Lois and Clark, when Tempus told Lois how dumb she was not to notice the difference with Clark with and without glasses. I know the whole idea is dumb, but its been part of the canon for 50 years and we just ran with it.
                        Exactly, it's just one of those things you accept because you do in order to watch the show/read the comic. I was just saying there is no way to make a grand breakthrough on glasses because well the idea is so silly to begin with, I'm not sure at this point after this long how anyone could make a good "I should wear glasses" moment, maybe if he had started some time in season 5 or 6 it could have been better, but still ridiculously silly.

Comment

A little OT, as it doesn't do with how the disguise works, but I believe the Silver Age explained that Clark needed glass from his rocket ship to use in the glasses because earth glass would melt if he used x-ray vision through them; the Krypton glass could take the power.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jor-El
                            Chris did it beautifully in the films. A slouch, speaking in a bit of a higher register, plus the timid demeanor. TW hasn't appeared as timid, but could, or undoubtedly will, pull it off.....
                            This was very well done (IMO) in the John Byrne arc as well....The acting that Jonathan taught Clark was very effective to me

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Yes John Byrne masacred Spiderman's origin, but his Superman run is landmark

Originally posted by superfan11
                            John Byrne's run had a pretty decent explaination during his Superman run that, since Superman doesn't wear a mask(and sort of wears a 'mask', i.e. the glasses, as Clark), most people assume that he doesn't have a secret identity. Batman figured it out, and Lois came close, but for the most part people look at Superman and think, "What you see is what you get".

I forget where I read it, but one way of explaining why the disguise works is "Just because someone sees a cab driver who looks like Tom Cruise, it doesn't mean they're going to assume that Tom Cruise slums it up as a cab driver between movies."

Lex Luthor had that mentality during Byrne's run. There was an issue where Luthor suspected a connection between Clark and Superman. So Luthor hires a computer programmer to input all the data they had accumulated on both Clark and Superman, and the computer's result read: "Clark Kent is Superman". Lex's reaction? He fired the programmer. He couldn't conceive that someone as powerful as Superman would want a normal life as a mere human. Which is kind of telling: for all his protestations that he wants to defend humans from Superman's "tyranny", Lex holds all humans who aren't him with nothing but contempt.
                            Last edited by caseybrn; 02-17-2011, 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think people will be fooled by the glasses and the bad haircut... it's not like people walk around looking for people with super powers. Since he looks like a regular guy people will think he is a regular guy. I think if he dressed odd and stood out then people would wonder if he was different

Comment

Reminds me of Lois and Clark, when Tempus told Lois how dumb she was not to notice the difference with Clark with and without glasses.
                                Heh! I remember that -it was one of my most fav moments in L&C -

Tempus (speaking to Lois) But, as much as everybody loves you, there is one question that keeps coming up: "How dumb was she?" Here, I'll show you what I mean. Look
                                [puts glasses on]
                                Tempus: I'm Clark Kent. [Takes glasses off]
                                Tempus: No, I'm Superman! [Puts glasses on]
                                Tempus: Mild-mannered reporter... [Takes glasses off]
                                Tempus: Superhero! Hello! Duh! Clark Kent is Superman. Ha, ha, ha. Well, that was worth the whole trip. To actually meet the most galactically stupid woman who ever lived.

hehehehehehehe

I know the glasses are as much a part of the story as the whole Lois/Clark relationship is, but as was earlier pointed out, in this day & time, with all the technology available, it's ridiculous to think that a pair of glasses & a goofy haircut would be any kind of "disguise". And seeing as how Smallville went way off track from the very beginning (Clark & Lex as friends, Clark meeting Lois before DP, Clark & Lana engaged before he can fly... I mean, com'mon people!) then I see no reason why they can't "go off track" with the whole glasses thing. But as usual, the writers forgot to consult with me!
                                Last edited by Forever Lex; 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎