View Poll Results: Chloe's Return: So far, how do you feel about it?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • GREAT: Her return is interesting, fun, and exhilirating!

36 22.78%
  • TERRIBLE: Her return is uninteresting, boring, and a snoozefest!

72 45.57%
  • SO SO: Her return is good, not great but not terrible.

45 28.48%
  • OTHER: Post comments in thread.

5 3.16%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I'm torn about Chloe's return. It just feels like Lana's return all over again (she has only two episodes left!)

To be blunt, the relationship between Clark and Chloe has diminished between the end of S8 and the course of S9. Everything bad that happened was blamed on Clark. Chloe never took any responsibilty for what happened at the end of S8 or what she did during S9. And yet she comes back and everyone is lying at her feet. Martha is even the mother Chloe never had even though that is a total retcon when you look at the early seasons.

Chloe, like Oliver is an "ends justifies the means" kind of person - something that Clark by definition is not. As a character trait in a fictional universe that is ok in itself. But Clark has to challenge that attitude. For heaven's sake, she now leads the Suicide Squad and nobody is bothered by it. He was even ok with putting the VRA guys into the virtual reality indefinitely.

And have you noticed that she changed her reason for leaving three times already? First it was because the helmet showed a danger to the JLA (which she conveniently did not warn them about even if it was vague). Then it was because she exchanged herself for Oliver. And now she did it because she needed to leave Clark so he can "grow". Last year she was mad at him because he worked alone in Checkmate - and again he got blamed for her going on a solo mission. A mission he knew nothing about, she proposed and Oliver let her go - but Clark was the one who had to apologize for - for what exactly?

I bet if Chloe should meet Darkseid that she would repel it because she's so "pure" (at least in the writers' minds).

There are only 8 episodes left (episode 21+22 being a two-hour finale) and they need to let Clark take the charge - like he did in Salvation.

What I also don't like about this season is that due to budget reasons it's always the guest stars who get the CGI time. Aquaman blew up the oil rig (Patriot). Hawkman saved Lois (Icarus). Chloe gets the Matrix fight (Collateral). When was the last time we actually saw Clark in action?

I liked Chloe. A lot. Especially in seasons 4-6 even though they had to dumb Clark down so she could be useful at all (just compare a first season and a fifth season episode and how Clark solves the case). But their friendship changed when she ran off with Davis and blamed the whole Doomsday debacle on Clark even half a season later (Conspiracy).

Maybe it would have been better if they had let her go at the end of S9. Maybe go on a soul-searching walkabout.
    Last edited by DJ Doena; 02-13-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopeforTomorrow View Post
    I wasn't looking forward to Chloe's return to begin with, to put it mildly, so I'm definitely not enjoying her return. Now that she's the leader of the Suicide Squad as well as the White Queen it's just ridiculous contrived nonsense on top of all of the other many greatly contrived things that have been done with the character over the years. Now the story is being revised so that she can be propped up and have all of her past actions whitewashed and swept under the rug before she leaves, because I guess that there just hasn't been enough of that on this show already.

I stopped caring about the character of Chloe many seasons ago when her character became unrealistically extraordinary at everything that she did (hacking, technical knowledge) and was then turned into a meteor freak before gaining brainiac abilities just so that she could be written to fit into many episodes, which usually came at the great expense of Clark - who was greatly dependent on her for almost everything, as well as him being put into contrived situations so that Chloe could come along and save the day. I began to greatly despise the character beginning with the second half of Season 8 onwards and to me there is nothing that can be done for me to change the complete disgust that I feel towards the writing of her character since Season 5 and how that's affected the entire show.

The characters of Pete, Alicia, Jonathan, Martha, Clark, and Jimmy have all been sacrificed so that Chloe could remain and have more relevance to the story. The situation with Jonathan could be looked at as his character was sacrificed for Lana, but there's no other character that got the better end of the deal than Chloe did IMO. I'm especially pissed off that Jimmy was killed off so that Chloe could continue to be written into the story while continuing to undermine Clark. It's a great shame that fanbases have had so much control and influence on how the producers/writers have written this show for the last several seasons - while at the same time neglecting Clark's character. Jimmy, and now Oliver, have both been used primarily as Chloe worshippers, and characters such as Clark, and now Lois and Martha, have been used to kiss Chloe's butt and glorify her. JMO
    Funniest post I have read in a while - even though you probably didn't intend it that way, it was amusing all the same.

Strangely enough I tend to agree with all points in bold - pretty much all of it! I don't despise her character though, just feel it has run it's course and I for one can't wait until her arc is over and done with so we can concentrate on Clark becoming Superman....

LOYAL TOM WELLING FAN wellinglover66's Avatar
    She's a killjoy!

One word: unnecessary. I was a huge fan of Chloe's in the first 4 seasons. But by the 5th season when they suddenly turned her into a hacker & worse off into Clark's brain & a Clark crutch, it was clear that she didn't belong on the show anymore. They made the supposed superheroes look totally inept & incompetent in episodes like Justice and others where they showed that heroes keeping their ID a secret was a joke. Then she became just another Lana in season 8 with the Davis plot, her hiding things behind Clark's back, never apologizing or admitting her faults (which she had plenty of), and so many other things. They continued to keep her & killed Jimmy off for her because they couldn't afford to keep both, which shows how messed up the decisions of the producers behind the show are.

I was hoping to have one Chloe-free season after all the damage keeping the character on the show & appeasing her fanbase at the expense of Clark has done over the last 5 years when they transformed her into something she was never meant to be. I didn't like the way she was used in Collateral, which again made Clark & everyone else look bad & again showed a Clark Kent who overlooked his own morals & adopted an "ends justify the means" mentality for him to turn a blind eye to her activities and not call her on it. Seeing her in bed with Oliver, another character who IMO doesn't belong in this show, who should have never been a main & who should never have been chosen to be kept over Jimmy when the budget became an issue, was sickening. Not to mention the drooling disgrace of a mess her character has made Oliver.

And worse of all is how the writing of Lana & Chloe has even been used on Martha as of last season's Hostage to turn her into 180 degrees of the type of person her comics counterpart is by also making her an "ends justify the means" type character who resorted to extreme tactics as the Red Queen & did underhanded things behind Clark's back under the guise of protecting him. I don't even recognize her as Martha anymore because the real Martha would have never done what she did as the Red Queen or justified her behavior as the Red Queen along with Chloe's behavior over the past 2 years with Davis, the spying, and the Suicide Squad.

So I think the Chloe character has been toxic to this show & is a big source of contamination that has affected Clark, Martha, Oliver, and others very adversely along with the plots and the existence of canon characters like Jimmy. Maybe it's because of the earlier toxin, Lana, that turned her into this, but even when Lana was around & Chloe was one of the clear good guys, her presence had adverse effects on Clark when they decided to give many of his earlier traits to her & dumb Clark down by taking them away from him.
    Last edited by xrayvision; 02-13-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Regular
    Chloe returning is messing up Clarks story. So I just try to pretend she's not there. This season was better off without her, she has no function at all. Including her character into the story at this point, just brings other characters down to her level. S8 and 9 left us with a lot of questions about Chloe and none of them are being addressed. In stead, a whole new set of questions will probably be raised by the arc the writers are giving Chloe now and there will be no time to address those questions either. It's hurting the quality of the storytelling IMO.

Also, the fact that Chloe never takes responsibiliy for her actions and the fact that everyone lets her get away with what she does, sends a really messed up message. To me, including her character at this point is hurting the show. And it's really grating on my nerves. They should have given her a good send off last season.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Quote Originally Posted by xrayvision View Post
    One word: unnecessary.

So I think the Chloe character has been toxic to this show & is a big source of contamination that has affected Clark, Martha, Oliver, and others very adversely along with the plots and the existence of canon characters like Jimmy. Maybe it's because of the earlier toxin, Lana, that turned her into this, but even when Lana was around & Chloe was one of the clear good guys, her presence had adverse effects on Clark when they decided to give many of his earlier traits to her & dumb Clark down by taking them away from him.
    Amen to this!

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Quote Originally Posted by wellinglover66 View Post
    She's a killjoy!
    G*# yes!
    Last edited by Lady Di; 02-13-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Forum Whiz
    ..I think it's a matter of redemption

Speaking on that very note- I enjoyed the possibilities in power that Lana perhaps could rewrite her character- it happened differently in the end, but the idea that someone normal can indeed with extended effort become a force for good - that's a theme you see in comics more so than ever.

Chloe 's "misshaps" - it would be improper to really chhalk a lot of that up to her- as it was plot driven. It's known as PIS, Plot induced stupidity.

I loved her in Collateral- and have enjoyed her return- this episode couldn't be chloe centric, so i won't judge it as such.

One more thing- I got the message from the chloe/martha conversation that her role as watchtower is intentioned as a force for good- and it's not bad

Look what she went through- and put herself through, just so she could in the end sav clark and co- she didn't have to do what she did, even with the power to see the future. She did all that for Clark and co's sake- and if she hadn't don that much, well they'd all be captured by the VRA etc etc- points for intervening in a inescapable fate.

Even now- she worked with Lois and aided in coming up with a solution to combatting the darkness- we already know calrk can't do it all, all the time.

"hacker chloe" - I'm seeing a lot of criticism of her , and I think I know why- it dates back to poewr

Unlike me, who is a gigantic fan of superpoewred heroes who do what they can andtry to do the right thing, there seems to be some sort of stigma against someone who suddenly gains the power to do something, that they didnt have

Lana- a lot of hate (not from me), came from her gaining powers- people thought she was usurping clark, when i never thought that for a second, knowing that he was a superheroe kryptonian, and was always in his element- she was relatively new to the "superhero" club, and was not what any sort of main plot could revolve around. This is DC's world- I'd have to have a giant loss of faith in the show to think Clark would in the end get stepped on.

Same for chloe- so she suddenly gains abilities- it's like that in the real world. And the fictional world. And the superhero world. You can't control what fate hands you- you might not deal with what it gives you perfectly either. But for what it's worth,you keep trucking...and never give up. Hate and giving up is no option. Period. Carter even said this......
    because when the good guys start giving up completely on the rest of the world, and cease doing what they're doing- then the world is doomed. Figuratively and literally.

Chloe needs to "pay" for what she's done? ???? She's felt remorse, etc, etc....and while the plot and writing can't emphasize more than what we see, we DO know she's dealt with the consequences- she sacrifices a lot even outside of that, as Collateral showed.

Clark can't do it all- Chloe helped him over the past 10 seasons indirectly a LOT- and I see no problem with Supes getting a littl help from time to time. Ofcourse, he does need to be a driving force- but that's NOT to be blamed as Chloe stealing his role. it's not "chloe needs to be smacked down:, but Clark needs to up his game and the ante.

After all, the idea that only one character can hold the spotlight and be succesful has been shot down a lot before....

complementation is key..

I've never been a big fan of Chloe. They dragged the Clana jealousy on too long and the passive-aggressive behavior caused by it, and then she became a computer hacking genius overnight in season 5 as if we were all a supposed to think she'd always had that ability (which she didn't). But I agree that after season 5 it became apparent that she was just there to keep her fans happy rather than because Clark's story needed her. They've proved that they could find a way to keep her relevant, but organically I think Clark would have been better served if all the super-genius stuff had been his domain rather than hers. I will say that appart from the scene with Martha I didn't mind Chloe in Beacon because she stayed in the background, but I have the feeling that next week her badass side will come back out, and that part of her development I just find annoying.

No Complaints from me bennyjr123's Avatar
    I love Chloe.MOD EDIT That's all I have to say.
    Last edited by Vergon6; 02-15-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Off-topic, please only to speak to your opinions about her arc, rather than others feelings about the character

Personally, I'm just ready for her to be gone. I've been trying to ignore her in the past couple episodes because I just don't have the strength to really get angry about what her presence does to the characters on this show anymore. I truly think that every character on this show would be a stronger, more successful version of their respective characters if Chloe was out of the picture. She has no place on this show and she can't be written into an episode without it being at the expense of another character.

So, I will continue to ignore her bothersome presence until she's gone and then I won't have to deal with her anymore.

Board Master
    I can't see her in the series finale if she's now the head of the Suicide Squad and Checkmate. Clark and the heroes don't need to be watched over or this would defeat the idea of why the JL was formed in the first place.

Banned
    MOD EDIT
    I think she has 3 more episodes left and I am definitely counting down. I don't think Chloe was needed at all in S10.
    Last edited by Vergon6; 02-15-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Off-topic, the OP should have not mentioned K-site polls as it's irrelevant the intended topic

I really could have done without her return.

Having said that, I do like her scenes with Lois. But other than that...

She isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Doena View Post
    And have you noticed that she changed her reason for leaving three times already? First it was because the helmet showed a danger to the JLA (which she conveniently did not warn them about even if it was vague). Then it was because she exchanged herself for Oliver. And now she did it because she needed to leave Clark so he can "grow".
    Maybe it was a multiple selection motive?.

What I also don't like about this season is that due to budget reasons it's always the guest stars who get the CGI time. Aquaman blew up the oil rig (Patriot). Hawkman saved Lois (Icarus). Chloe gets the Matrix fight (Collateral). When was the last time we actually saw Clark in action?
    That would be in beacon when he saved lionel and threw him on the floor

MOD EDIT
    As to Chloe's return, hellokitty summed it up for me: meh.
    Last edited by Vergon6; 02-15-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Off-topic

New In Town
    Wait, did she leave? :P

For me the storyline was well connected - doesn't feel like to be a huge difference.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast