No announcement yet.

Did Clark take another step back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiabeticDude202
    But Martha isn't the one capable of taking a life. So that's definately not what she was non-verbally trying to communicate with him.
    Martha is just like Clark, both are not life takers, but both don't always want to save everyone...

Comment

Honestly, I don't know what the "look" was all about. The first time I saw it I wasn't sure. I'm still going back and forth between thinking it was just a moment where both of them acknowledged what would happen next and Clark just looking for reassurance that his mother was okay enough by herself for him to leave her to save Lionel. Right now, I'm leaning slightly towards the latter explanation.

Comment

I read that look as Martha and Clark both acknowledging that neither wanted him to be saved but knew Clark was morally obligated to save him.

Comment

The look between Clark and Martha shows that Clark has to save alternate Lionel or else he'd be no different than the villains. I didn't see any steps backwards for Clark in this episode.

Comment

Ambiguity has been a problem with the current producers/writer's/director's IMO. For some reason, they seem to delight in creating a scene or moment that could be interpreted in several ways - unless I'm wrong and it's completely done by accident. In either case, it would be nice if some things were made more clear to the viewers, especially a scene involving Clark saving someone and having it be known without question what his intentions were. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by uncaged
              I read that look as Martha and Clark both acknowledging that neither wanted him to be saved but knew Clark was morally obligated to save him.
              I read it as acknowledging not deciding as well.

Originally posted by vantheman77
              The look between Clark and Martha shows that Clark has to save alternate Lionel or else he'd be no different than the villains. I didn't see any steps backwards for Clark in this episode.
              I didn't feel any step backwards either. Anger isn't always a dark thing imo..sometimes its a necessary driving force.. ultimately its how one handles the anger that is the dark factor.. and the weight they carry with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JonMich-el
                Its Earth 2 Lionel Clark doesn't really care what he does to him!
                He is still a Human Being. No matter what Earth he comes from.

Wow, Clark should no better by now!

------------------------

Originally posted by ginevrakent
                Clark would only still have a dark heart if he purposefully let Lionel suffer for a while before he went back to save him. Clark paused, yes, but he didn't attack Lionel and he ultimately saved his life. He even let Lionel remain completely free to do whatever he wanted after he saved his life. So, no, I don't think hesitation equates to darkness. All versions of Superman struggle from time to time with these sorts of dilemmas and internal conflicts. The critical difference between this time and what happened with the Lex clone in Lazarus was that Clark didn't allow himself to be provoked into a more violent response. Clark kept his emotions in check, in other words.
                He did in fact, wait a bit before going back. He could have saved them both at the same time... If he already KNEW he was going to save Lionel.

Clark waited for Martha's input on the matter.

Hey, Clark could have just left Lionel in there for all I care. Lionel is evil. But I can't pretend like Clark was in the right, IF he was really intending to be the "I don't take a life" blah blah blah. He could have taken him to jail... but throwing him around... just serves NO purpose.

It was very idiotic, imho.
                Last edited by luckycloisfan; 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

He was going to save Lionel, but he wanted to make sure Martha was OK first and she let him know she was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by luckycloisfan
                    He did in fact, wait a bit before going back. He could have saved them both at the same time... If he already KNEW he was going to save Lionel.
                    I know Clark has superstrength, but I don't see how he can carry two people at the same time. At least, not if he's going to handle both individuals with care.

Clark waited for Martha's input on the matter.
                    I get that that's your opinion, but I disagree. I think Clark wanted to make sure Martha was okay before returning. I don't think there's enough evidence to make any definitive statement that Clark was looking for Martha's instructions.

Comment

I know Clark has superstrength, but I don't see how he can carry two people at the same time. At least, not if he's going to handle both individuals with care.
                      Through a collapsing building that is on fire on top of it. I don't think they would have fit through the door together... maybe he could have used them as battering rams to take out a wall...

Comment

I get that that's your opinion, but I disagree. I think Clark wanted to make sure Martha was okay before returning. I don't think there's enough evidence to make any definitive statement that Clark was looking for Martha's instructions.
                        I was going to say the same thing but since you already did, I'll just agree with you.

Adding, I think if Clark was going to go on a vendetta against a Luthor, he would have started with Alexander who wanted to kill him and shot Martha. Instead, he gave Lex hope and left him with Tess. Clark had no intention of letting Lionel die and that is all there is to it, imo.

Comment

After saving Martha, there's that pause between them, when Clark really doesn't want to go back and save Lionel. So he still has a dark heart? I'm hoping that by the end of the episode, they were showing us that he let go of that ("Oh, gosh. You're Dad would be so proud of you.") And that smile that blossums on his face after that ...

But I'm worried that after making these big steps forward, the producers/writers showed us that there's still anger in his heart, still hate.

What was your take on that scene? Especially the "This isn't over..."
                          Yeah I definitely noticed that & how unlike Superman it was of him. I didn't mind it that he didn't take both Martha & Lionel out at the same time since he would have to do it without getting them out with care. But the delay/stall on Clark's part bothered me. If that was Superman, he would have immediately gone without a 2nd thought after saving Martha to get Lionel out. And Superman would have also put out the fire rather than letting firefighters later risk their lives trying to put out such a huge fire in such a huge building.

Comment

^^^That mansion was already a total loss and I think when the firefighters got there, they let it burn and watched for ground fires.

We didn't see Clark put out the Talon fire either but I have a feeling he put that one and the mansion fire out since he is so good at putting out fires.
                            Last edited by SnowBird; 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I think Clark's human side got to him in that instance. I think he knew that he should save Lionel but there was part of him that thought, "this could end before it begins". But his morals that have been instilled in him from his upbringing wouldn't allow him to follow through with that line of thought. I feel this was showcased by the nod from Martha and that Clark's nod was more of a "I know, I have to...".

As far as blowing out the fire to prevent injuries to oncoming firefighters... I believe that to be a matter of budget and not Clark's lack of forward thinking.

Comment

After saving Martha, there's that pause between them, when Clark really doesn't want to go back and save Lionel. So he still has a dark heart? I'm hoping that by the end of the episode, they were showing us that he let go of that ("Oh, gosh. You're Dad would be so proud of you.") And that smile that blossums on his face after that ...

But I'm worried that after making these big steps forward, the producers/writers showed us that there's still anger in his heart, still hate.

What was your take on that scene? Especially the "This isn't over..."
                                He shouldn't have hesitated

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎