No announcement yet.

Did Clark take another step back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Clark take another step back?

After saving Martha, there's that pause between them, when Clark really doesn't want to go back and save Lionel. So he still has a dark heart? I'm hoping that by the end of the episode, they were showing us that he let go of that ("Oh, gosh. You're Dad would be so proud of you.") And that smile that blossums on his face after that ...

But I'm worried that after making these big steps forward, the producers/writers showed us that there's still anger in his heart, still hate.

What was your take on that scene? Especially the "This isn't over..."

Yeah, he had to Think about Saving Lionel

And then threw him... like that was necessary!

Comment

Originally posted by luckycloisfan

Its Earth 2 Lionel Clark doesn't really care what he does to him!

Comment

he was acting like a silly teenage boy.

i guess being near mom, makes you lose your maturity
        Last edited by BlueRanger; 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiabeticDude202
          After saving Martha, there's that pause between them, when Clark really doesn't want to go back and save Lionel. So he still has a dark heart?
          Clark would only still have a dark heart if he purposefully let Lionel suffer for a while before he went back to save him. Clark paused, yes, but he didn't attack Lionel and he ultimately saved his life. He even let Lionel remain completely free to do whatever he wanted after he saved his life. So, no, I don't think hesitation equates to darkness. All versions of Superman struggle from time to time with these sorts of dilemmas and internal conflicts. The critical difference between this time and what happened with the Lex clone in Lazarus was that Clark didn't allow himself to be provoked into a more violent response. Clark kept his emotions in check, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by luckycloisfan

I think he was going to save Lionel all along. As far as throwing him, the last time he saw Lionel, he was whipped with a belt and could have been killed by him so I don't blame Clark for letting Lionel know that he isn't someone to fool with and he better watch out. Lionel is lucky he only got thrown out like the garbage he is.

Comment

Originally posted by ginevrakent
              Clark would only still have a dark heart if he purposefully let Lionel suffer for a while before he went back to save him. Clark paused, yes, but he didn't attack Lionel and he ultimately saved his life. He even let Lionel remain completely free to do whatever he wanted after he saved his life. So, no, I don't think hesitation equates to darkness. All versions of Superman struggle from time to time with these sorts of dilemmas and internal conflicts. The critical difference between this time and what happened with the Lex clone in Lazarus was that Clark didn't allow himself to be provoked into a more violent response. Clark kept his emotions in check, in other words.
              That and he didn't have anyone tell him to go back. He did it all on his own. I was really proud of him and his refusal to send Lionel and the Lex clone to the phantom zone. I don't think Clark took any steps back this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
                That and he didn't have anyone tell him to go back. He did it all on his own. I was really proud of him and his refusal to send Lionel and the Lex clone to the phantom zone. I don't think Clark took any steps back this episode.
                The way I saw it, Martha convinced him. They locked eyes, and her eyes said it all. Clark even nodded to her as if to say: I know. I have to ...

Comment

The way I saw it, Martha convinced him. They locked eyes, and her eyes said it all. Clark even nodded to her as if to say: I know. I have to ...
                  I saw it more as Martha acknowledging what she and Clark already knew he was going to do. YMMV.

Comment

Martha's eyes could just as well have said, I wish you didn't have to save Lionel but I know you will. I don't think anyone can say he wasn't going to save Lionel to begin with with just a look.

Comment

i didn't like the way he threw lionel like that. hell he could have died considering how old he is.

Comment

I don't see it as a step back at all. Clark as Superman doesn't always want to save villains. He does it because its right not because its easy. Same as Lionel.
                        As to throwing Lionel, Clark didn't hurt him. Maybe not the nicest act, but pretty much fair in my book. Personally I consider murderous scum low on my protective instinct.
                        Last edited by Iconic Couples Fan; 02-12-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
                          Martha's eyes could just as well have said, I wish you didn't have to save Lionel but I know you will. I don't think anyone can say he wasn't going to save Lionel to begin with with just a look.
                          But Martha isn't the one capable of taking a life. So that's definately not what she was non-verbally trying to communicate with him.

Comment

After saving Martha, there's that pause between them, when Clark really doesn't want to go back and save Lionel. So he still has a dark heart? I'm hoping that by the end of the episode, they were showing us that he let go of that ("Oh, gosh. You're Dad would be so proud of you.") And that smile that blossums on his face after that ...

But I'm worried that after making these big steps forward, the producers/writers showed us that there's still anger in his heart, still hate.

What was your take on that scene? Especially the "This isn't over..."
                            If anything, this shows that Clark has regained the morality he was missing the last few episodes.
                            He doesn't have a dark heart, but he does have feelings. Earth-2 Lionel was looking to raise CloneLex just like "our" Lionel raised "our" Lex. E-2 Lionel DID raise the alternate universe Clark to be evil. Clark's fed up with Lionelish attitudes. His "This isn't over" line was to let E-2 Lionel know that his plans to run amok in "our" world isn't happening.
                            But, as angry with E-2 Lionel as he was, he saved his life. He saved his life knowing full well he might regret it.
                            And he might at that. I gotta wonder if Tess and/or Chloe won't go to that great rerun in the sky via E-2 Lionel's hands before the last scene of the last episode, but that's another post.

Comment

But Martha isn't the one capable of taking a life. So that's definately not what she was non-verbally trying to communicate with him.
                              Martha said she would destroy Lionel if he did anything to harm Clark. I believed her.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎