Collapse
No announcement yet.

"the darkness" is getting lazy

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What bothers me about the right-of-center criticism most of all is how Lois is painted as a liberal character, when in the comics (in recent continuity, not some far off 1950s strip) Lois clearly states her conservative viewpoint, and votes Republican in that big crossover election arc.

Dinah and Ollie work well in Smallville as characters because their differing views are true to their characters. I don't mind Ollie commenting about illegal immigration in his coming out speech because that's Green Arrow. What does bother me is when the writers get preachy and use a character who isn't like that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by HowardFilms
      What bothers me about the right-of-center criticism most of all is how Lois is painted as a liberal character, when in the comics (in recent continuity, not some far off 1950s strip) Lois clearly states her conservative viewpoint, and votes Republican in that big crossover election arc.

Dinah and Ollie work well in Smallville as characters because their differing views are true to their characters. I don't mind Ollie commenting about illegal immigration in his coming out speech because that's Green Arrow. What does bother me is when the writers get preachy and use a character who isn't like that at all.
      i agree with you but i think that when the writers created the character for lois in Smallville, they realized that even in the comics her political views are not what make her unique. i think that lois is more of a woman who likes to go against the crowd. in the 1950s strip, majority of the country were questioning their patriotism due to the whole communist cold war thing (please don't yell at me if i have the facts wrong i'm not a huge history buff :/) so lois was the opposite. now she fights against the majority by declaring herself a liberal, not directly, and basically acts as a protester most of the time.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this is the only way her character can be perceived, this is just how i see it.

Comment

The Darkness is so lazy that it not even a threat.
        Heck, I think Zod and the Kandorians were a much bigger threat to Earth than that big bag of dust and smoke Darksied is.

Comment

Originally posted by harryandginnyfanatic
          Apparently that seed of doubt wasn't enough to turn the world against Clark and the other heroes, since the VRA was repealed.

What has Darkseid been doing all this time? Some threat he turned out to be.
          Yeah. I thought this was supposed to be Clark's big challenge: Darkseid's malign influence turns the public at large against The Blur & the heroes. Evidently, Darkseid's plot simply failed, collapsed all on its own. The public is solidly behind The Blur now, so I guess everyone can just go home now and bake muffins.

Comment

Originally posted by actaeon
            Yeah. I thought this was supposed to be Clark's big challenge: Darkseid's malign influence turns the public at large against The Blur & the heroes. Evidently, Darkseid's plot simply failed, collapsed all on its own. The public is solidly behind The Blur now, so I guess everyone can just go home now and bake muffins.
            First, just because the VRA was repealed doesn't mean Clark and the heroes no longer have to struggle against anti-hero sentiment. I mean, a sizable percentage of the American public continues to rally against allegedly settled political issues like gay marriage, health care reform, tax cuts, etc. Second, Darkseid experienced a setback, which is fine, so did Zod in last season's Persuasion. Darkseid is not the type of villain to just give up and go home. He's going to try a new tactic, of course, which is likely going to be introduced in next week's Masquerade.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksgirl93
              i agree with you but i think that when the writers created the character for lois in Smallville, they realized that even in the comics her political views are not what make her unique. i think that lois is more of a woman who likes to go against the crowd. in the 1950s strip, majority of the country were questioning their patriotism due to the whole communist cold war thing (please don't yell at me if i have the facts wrong i'm not a huge history buff :/) so lois was the opposite. now she fights against the majority by declaring herself a liberal, not directly, and basically acts as a protester most of the time.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this is the only way her character can be perceived, this is just how i see it.
              I think it's pretty weak to establish Lois as a rebel without a cause...or a cause that's the flavor of the week. Again, I'd be just as annoyed if Ollie was conservative on this show...it's doing the characters wrong by putting your own (writers) agenda into a popular character and it's annoying. At least, like the comics, they have steered clear of Clark making too many political comments, Superman can't get into that.

Comment

Originally posted by harryandginnyfanatic
                Apparently that seed of doubt wasn't enough to turn the world against Clark and the other heroes, since the VRA was repealed.

What has Darkseid been doing all this time? Some threat he turned out to be.
                Unfortunately Sauron he is not. We would have really needed to see Darkseid. We've also seen little to none of his followers (Im glad about the next episode but it's a lil bit too late I think). The omega symbol hasn't been shown to have a big influence. Even with Slade gone it seemed alot of them were apparentaly infected with it or something.

I would have liked to see more of the corruption phase that Darkseid apparentaly has over the people. It seemed to take hold very fast and very easily but also stop and give up (for a time being atleast) as seen with the vote in "Beacon".

It's like they left out their version of The One Ring and kept the Ringwraiths/Saruman etc. to a very minimal. Everyone else is just going through the motions and we can't see it but we are told about something driving them...

Comment

Originally posted by luckycloisfan
                  Yeah, Lois accusing Dinah of having a "Tea Party"... Cat Grant's character... and I caught that dig at Fox News in Beacon... the scene with Lois baking, right before Martha walks into the house
                  Well Clark is technically an illegal alien, so I could see why he and Lois are portrayed as liberals on Smallville.

I like the VRA storyline because it brings up an interesting notion. What happens when heroes like ours start revealing themselves to the public? There is bound to be people who are full of hatred and fear. From both political ideals. I like that they are portraying how our world really is like instead of some cookie cutter happy go lucky world where everyone is giddy when super-powered individuals become public knowledge.

I think the reason the Darkness has been pushed back has been because a Light (The Blur) has shined brightly, showing them the way and giving them hope. I don't think Darkseid is big on hope.
                  And I don't think Cat Grant is some caricature of the majority of the right political view. Maybe of the extreme right, but many people on the right are perfectly reasonable people. Even her unreasonable & extreme viewpoint softened when she helped Lois, she has shown she is a good person.
                  Last edited by MrZeppo; 02-17-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

The VRA story was an intresting plon and I hope it hasn't finished yet, cause Darkseid would be really proven a lazy supervillain

I think it's not over yet, cause some of the heroes or heroe supporters (let's call'em that) are on the list as terrorists (like the Suicide Squad)

Comment

Who's Darkseid?
                      Oh you mean that pathetic excuse for a villain at the beginning of this season? Who appeared like a cloud farts and had minions show up twice and then decide to retire, go home and watch Glee.
                      Last edited by Dyanara; 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyanara
                        Who's Darkseid?
                        Oh you mean that pathetic excuse for a villain at the beginning of this season? Who appeared like a cloud farts and had minions show up twice and then decide to retire, go home and watch Glee.

Comment

I'm okay with Darkseid not showing his face just yet.

Comment

I hope they do Darkseid justice when he shows up hes my favourite villain

Comment

Originally posted by Dyanara
                              Who's Darkseid?
                              dark side is trying to find a suitable body for him to inhabit that is why they are big on the Omega storyline because those are the people that are most susceptible to darkness and evil. And he is not lazy as a matter of fact he tried one thing that did not work so he is going to try other approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by HowardFilms
                                it's doing the characters wrong by putting your own (writers) agenda into a popular character and it's annoying. At least, like the comics, they have steered clear of Clark making too many political comments, Superman can't get into that.
                                I'm pretty sure that these characters are created so that you CAN put your own agenda/view on them. I wouldn't think that it's annoying since everyone sees everything in their own way. I honestly do think that Lois's character should choose causes that are hot at the time so that a viewer/reader can get a real feel of who Lois is. If she were to be fighting against things the majority doesn't care about, we wouldn't care about her rebelious personality. Once again I'll say, my perception of Lois is not the ONLY way she can be perceived so I would appreciate it if you would stay away from words like annoying when describing my opinion. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎