No announcement yet.

Martha/Chloe Scenes: OOC & Revising History

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barbara
    I completely disagree with the OP. This was not OOC or a rewrite of their relationship. I believe people need to rewatch Vengeance from season 5. This is the episode immediately following Reckoning. While Martha and Chloe have not had a lot of direct on screen relationship scenes through the years their interaction in this specific episode specifically defines their relationship on screen.
    QFT

----- Added 34 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by vantheman77
    The scene with Martha and Chloe was both unnecessary and a retcon.
    it was neither
    Last edited by Greenarrowjustice; 02-11-2011, 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by thelane
      The scene with Martha and Chloe at the beginning of this episode felt very out of character (OOC). I don't remember Chloe and Martha ever being that close. The only character who I've seen Martha ever have any kind of real bond with is Lois. Not even Lana, who was Clark's main love interest for most of this series, ever really had an onscreen bond with Martha.

I was just confused why the writers felt it necessary to basically revise the shows own history to have Chloe and Martha suddenly be so close and with Chloe even feeling that Martha was like a mother.

It just all feels very odd.

Anyone else feel the same way?
      In the first few seasons, I always sensed this sense of family between the Kent parents and all of Clarks friends. If you were close with Clark, you were close with his parents. There were little scenes here and there between Martha and Chloe. Like Season 5's "Vengeance" and a few more in Season 6. I think they were trying to say Martha is the only thing Chloe could ever model a mother after. Not necessarily saying Martha was like a mother to Chloe....

Comment

for the sake of argument I digged up this post about Chloe/Martha on the show

Chloe and Martha? I think I might remember 2 or 3 scenes they had together over 6 years

From my memory(and recently rewatching a bunch of episodes)

Zero - Chloe talks to the Kents about Clark's background while researching for a project
        Rosetta - Chloe and Martha in a scene outside barn when Clark burns a symbol in it(one line)
        Truth - Chloe asks Martha a question dealing with Clark
        Jinx - Martha and Jonathon leave the room 1 second before Chloe knocks on the door, I guess you can count that...lol
        Splinter - scene with Chloe and Kents talking about Clark gone wild
        Lexmas - I am sure they in the same room during the AU Xmas party
        Vengence - Chloe and Martha have a discussion about Clark post Jonathon's death
        Hypnotic - Chloe clubs hypnotized Martha in the head
        Oracle - Clark, Chloe, Martha and Lois all celebrating Clark's birthday
        Rage - the Thanksgiving Dinner scene
        Crimson - Chloe tells Martha Clark is on Red K
        Promise - I guess you can make the arguement both went to wedding

I am sure I might have missed a couple scenes but for the most part Chloe and Martha barely even interact during the 6 year run on the show.
        ETA:
        -There was a S6 episode I know they had a scene with Martha, Clark and Chloe in a room doing Clark's thinking(I think it was reunion)
        -In Xray Chloe and the Kents are in the same area and it flashes quickly from Chloe and Lana to Clark and his parents but we don't actually see them together.
        -you might be able to point them sitting close to eachother at football games in S4
        Last edited by Supsfan; 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
          ETA: There was a S6 episode I know they had a scene with Martha, Clark and Chloe in a room doing Clark's thinking(I think it was reunion)
          That was in fact Reunion. And personally, I loved that scene.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentChaos
            That was in fact Reunion. And personally, I loved that scene.
            I guess it's nice to have plot exposition not done behind a computer for a change. Sadly that would be the only other scene(vengeance) to prove any relationship of Chloe and Martha having on this show(you might throw in the Oracle party as well)

Comment

Ugh. I absolutely hated this scene!

Comment

ETA:
                -There was a S6 episode I know they had a scene with Martha, Clark and Chloe in a room doing Clark's thinking(I think it was reunion)
                -In Xray Chloe and the Kents are in the same area and it flashes quickly from Chloe and Lana to Clark and his parents but we don't actually see them together.
                -you might be able to point them sitting close to eachother at football games in S4
                LOL, what a deep, meaningful relationship! I guess Chloe can start calling herself Ma Sullivan now!

Comment

ETA:
                  You forgot that great scene from Prototype when Clark dashes out then Chloe asks Martha something like, do you ever get used that?

Or the one from Trespass when Martha invites Chloe (for some coffee?) in the house leaving Clark in the barn because it was too cold.
                  Last edited by wellinglover66; 02-11-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Chloe and Martha had also short scenes together in 6x14 Trespass and 6x21 Prototype.

Edit says I'm too slow.

Comment

I really don't know what everyone is talking about? What retcon?

Ever since the Kents realized Chloe knew Clark's secret and knew they could trust her to keep it, they've been close with Chloe. I cannot recall the episode, but it's after Jonathan's death sometime in the latter season 5 episodes where Martha and Chloe share a scene, and Martha confides in Chloe that she's really glad Chloe was a part of their lives because with Jonathan gone, Martha said she didn't feel as much pressure knowing she had to keep and protect Clark's secret by herself, and you got the sense that Martha considered Chloe to be part of the family.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmaguire
                        I really don't know what everyone is talking about? What retcon?

Ever since the Kents realized Chloe knew Clark's secret and knew they could trust her to keep it, they've been close with Chloe. I cannot recall the episode, but it's after Jonathan's death sometime in the latter season 5 episodes where Martha and Chloe share a scene, and Martha confides in Chloe that she's really glad Chloe was a part of their lives because with Jonathan gone, Martha said she didn't feel as much pressure knowing she had to keep and protect Clark's secret by herself, and you got the sense that Martha considered Chloe to be part of the family.
                        Problem is we got that one scene in Vengeance and nothing before or after the fact to actually show that was the case. The scene basically felt hollow.

Comment

I thought the sentiment was fine but there was a few WTF moments:
                          - Chloe left so Clark could stand on his own two feet? Isn't this like the FOURTH reason we've been given. Pick one people.
                          - Chloe took over for Waller? What, is Chloe on vacation now -- we see no interaction w/ the team so how is this her job?

Nice angle:
                          Martha is Chloe's role model for protection-- makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Problem is we got that one scene in Vengeance and nothing before or after the fact to actually show that was the case. The scene basically felt hollow.
                            The scene in Venegence was more like "It's good there's someone else to talk to, so we can now do that." Both were there for Clark that much is undeniable but even the scene in Venegence doesn't point to any offscreen conversations between Martha and Chloe about their own problems or Clark's.

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                              The Martha/Chloe scene was, IMO, the absolute worst scene of the episode.
                              Yeah that scene & conversation was weird.

Originally posted by humera
                              A compliment is Martha warmly thanking Chloe for herk help and support of Clark over the years. Asskissing is Martha putting Chloe on the same level as herself and Jonathan, completely ignoring her shady actions and the numerous ways she's sabotaged Clark's plans since S8 under the blanket excuse of "protecting him."
                              QFT *shrugs*but whateva I just let it go.

Comment

This happens in the real world all the time; people retconning their own history for the sake of patting someone (or themselves) on the back, or to feel part of something, or whatever.

Here is a real world example:

My cousin Mike recently told my mother that she was like a mother to him when we were kids. My mother went along with it, beaming with pride. In reality, Mom didn't like Mike when we were kids, and as a result, he didn't come over to my house much; I usually went over to his house. Mike didn't like my mother much either, because she was always very gruff toward him. The reason she didn't like him is because he had always been a troublemaker, and to make matters worse, she caught him stealing some change once. Mike denied it which made my mother even more upset. Also, Mike used my bike one time and when he was done with it, instead of putting it back in the basement where I kept it, he left it laying in the driveway and Mom didn't see it and ran over it the next morning. She was absolutely furious at Mike for that.

So Mom rarely even saw Mike, and when she did, she never liked him anyway, yet somehow she was "like a mother" to him? I don't think so.

A lot of people have very selective memories, or even memories that aren't based in reality at all.

Another example along the same lines was a kid my age named George whom I've known all my life, and I never liked him. He was grubby and annoying, and one time when I was about 11 years old, I punched him for running his mouth. Whenever I see him today he tries to reminisce as if we were the best of friends when we were kids. He inserts himself into past events that he was never a part of / present for, and imagines friendships with me and my friend Corey that never existed.

Though probably not intended by the writers, this could be what is going on between Martha and Chloe in that scene; they are simply retconning their own history together because it makes them feel good to do so; like many people in real life do.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎