No announcement yet.

Martha/Chloe Scenes: OOC & Revising History

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barbara
    I completely disagree with the OP. This was not OOC or a rewrite of their relationship. I believe people need to rewatch Vengeance from season 5. This is the episode immediately following Reckoning. While Martha and Chloe have not had a lot of direct on screen relationship scenes through the years their interaction in this specific episode specifically defines their relationship on screen.
    WORD, Barbara. I completely agree! Your posts are always so thoughtful, insightful, and well-written!

Comment

How can all of you say that Martha was never a mother figure for Chloe when Chloe's own mother ran off and eventually institutionalized herself for several years until we actually saw her in Progeny? The only mother figure Chloe could look to was Martha. Everyone sees Martha as a mother figure.

Comment

While I don't think Chloe and Martha have had a lot of scenes together, Chloe has been Clark's friend for ten years so she obviously saw Martha a lot over the years. Not to mention in Vengeance when Martha told Chloe it was nice having someone else help keep Clark's secret. I never thought Chloe and Martha weren't close. Also, since Chloe's mother left while she was young of course Martha is a mother figure for her. I loved the Martha/Chloe scene!

Comment

Nah, Chloe and Martha were never that close. That's revising their relationship.

This just seemed like lip service.

Comment

I completely disagree with the OP. This was not OOC or a rewrite of their relationship. I believe people need to rewatch Vengeance from season 5. This is the episode immediately following Reckoning. While Martha and Chloe have not had a lot of direct on screen relationship scenes through the years their interaction in this specific episode specifically defines their relationship on screen.
            this.

Comment

One episode they were close?

But for 6 years, they don't share as many scenes as Martha and Lois did in a couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by thelane
                Nah, Chloe and Martha were never that close. That's revising their relationship.

This.

Honestly, one scene in one episode five years ago does not a "close" relationship make. The emotions of the scene here just felt false to me because of that. It was trying to put in a character relationship for the sake of it, and service Chloe's character for her final arc.

Comment

I can see why people might view this as a bit of a retcon given that Martha and Chloe haven't shared that many scenes over the years. But in all honesty, of all the things we're meant to believe happened offscreen in this show - Martha and Chloe spending sometime together over the course of Clark and Chloe's 10yr friendship -isn't hard to believe. Sure it would have been nice to see some scenes between the two to illustrate this but I don't find it out of the ordinary for Chloe, who's mother left her, as others have mentioned, to view Martha as a mother type figure. She would have been pretty much the only female/mother figure in her life.

And I don't think that applies to just Chloe. Lois, Lana and probably even Pete would probably view Martha as a mother figure too. That's just the type of person Martha is.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                    This.

Honestly, one scene in one episode five years ago does not a "close" relationship make. The emotions of the scene here just felt false to me because of that. It was trying to put in a character relationship for the sake of it, and service Chloe's character for her final arc.
                    I completely agree. It's to be expected though. I had a feeling that there would be a Martha kissing Chloe's butt moment, but at least it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. At least it's out of the way...

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                      This.

Precisely. If I had actually seen this type of relationship onscreen, I wouldn't mind, but since I didn't, it felt extremely forced and more there just to compliment Chloe than do any service to Martha or anyone else.

Comment

Agree with you.

Comment

The scene with Martha and Chloe at the beginning of this episode felt very out of character (OOC). I don't remember Chloe and Martha ever being that close. The only character who I've seen Martha ever have any kind of real bond with is Lois. Not even Lana, who was Clark's main love interest for most of this series, ever really had an onscreen bond with Martha.

I was just confused why the writers felt it necessary to basically revise the shows own history to have Chloe and Martha suddenly be so close and with Chloe even feeling that Martha was like a mother.

It just all feels very odd.

Anyone else feel the same way?
                          Actually Martha said that Lana was a like a daughter to her, so they were close. Chloe spent a lot of time at the Kent farm, so it's possible that she saw Martha as a mother figure, since she didn't have one of her own.

Comment

Agree with Barbara...sometimes you just need fill in the blanks.

Comment

Originally posted by luckycloisfan
                              One episode they were close?

But for 6 years, they don't share as many scenes as Martha and Lois did in a couple of years?
                              Chloe has been in Martha's orbit since the beginning in season one. You are absolutely correct that Lois and Martha have had more on screen relationship moments. If the standards being used for whether two characters have a relationship is that all interaction must occur on screen Lois wins hands down. Because as we know. Nothing ever happens off screen and the writing team never make any references to actions or happenings that don't specifically occur on screen. IMHO, there is no retcon and I stand by my previous post.

Check out the episode Hidden. Or all the episodes in which Chloe just pops in at the farm in the early years. When haven't Martha a Jonathon treated Chloe pretty much like a member of the family?
                              Last edited by Barbara; 02-11-2011, 08:18 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by HopeforTomorrow
                                I completely agree. It's to be expected though. I had a feeling that there would be a Martha kissing Chloe's butt moment, but at least it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. At least it's out of the way...
                                I like how you turned this into a positive and it was expected so at least it's over and it could have been so much worse. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎