Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martha/Chloe Scenes: OOC & Revising History

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My issue with this scene isn't the Chloe/Martha closeness. Chloe has obviously spent a lot of time at the Kent Farm so I'll buy that Martha likes her. My issue is the line comparing Clark NEEDing Chloe "as much as the world NEEDs Clark". That I'm not buying AT ALL. He is friends and relies on the JL, the DP employees, etc, in times of crisis. Now as there is No Chloe in the future, how can this come close to equating. Yes Chloe has been his friend for a long time(good, bad, and ugly) but that can not justify this statement at all.
    An example...
    Clark is the guiding light to the whole world that inspires humanity to be its best. .....Very much part of the mythos.
    If you switch them to Martha's comparison
    Chloe is the guiding light to Clark that inspires
    him to be his best. .... Very debatable.

JMHO but this doesn't equate in my book.
    Last edited by Iconic Couples Fan; 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chumchees
      Why does a man with superpowers need so much protection.
      becauseeee...yeah. just because

I do think they are giving Chloe a bit too much credit for the role she's played in Clark's life over the past two episodes. In his earlier years I don't think she was hardly as influential in his early as she may have been once she found out his secret.

Comment

• Originally posted by humera
        This is just another example of the producers stealing classic Lois lines and moments to prop Chloe up at her expense, like they've done so many times over the years. I doubt TPTB are unaware that this is a sentiment Clark has expressed about Lois in numerous ways in the comics, they just decided for some strange reason that it would make for sense for Martha to say such a thing to Chloe instead of Clark's fiancee and true love.

I can imagine the discussion in the writers room.

Writer1: Hey, you know that beautiful sentiment Clark expresses abt Lois in the comics, that the world needs him, but he needs her, that would be a perfect line to use in the Lois/ Martha talk.

Writer2: Forget abt Lois, let's give the line to Chloe instead!

Writer3: Yeah, remember how we stole "up, up and away," the first kiss with Clark in the DP, and the first girl to visit the FOS from Lois to give to Chloe in the past.

Writer2: Exactly! Who cares if Lois gets disrespected and sidelined one more time, the IMPORTANT thing here is to glorify Chloe in every way possible, whether it makes sense or not.

Writer1: You guys are so right, and let's make it better by stealing Lois and Martha's onscreen mother daughter relationship history and giving that to Chloe as well.

Writer2: Perfect! Also, make sure Martha doesn't give Lois a hug or tell her she thinks of her as a daughter, we don't want their scene to be as heartwarming as the Chloe/Maartha one.

Writer1: Let's give Lois a consolation prize. How about Martha call her "inspiring" and give her some random heirloom which we've never seen before?

Writer2: The viewers will LOVE that so much, they won't even care that Martha thinks Clark needs Chloe more than Lois.

Writer1: Wow, are we brilliant or what!

I won't sugar coat my thoughts on this matter. I find it utterly pathetic that certain characters like Chloe and Lana need to be glorified to such extreme measures for their journey on Smallville to seem valuable.

IMO, it just speaks poorly of the characters, that they need this type of exaggerated attention placed on them in their last episodes. It's silly.

And as for Chloe and Martha's "deep" relationship, that's something that was never seen on the show. Lois and Martha have the closest relationship from the females and if TPTB want to pretend that Chloe and Martha had an equal bond, let them delude themselves, but the audience can go back and actually watch the episodes and see the truth.

Comment

• I really liked the scene. So much I actually bought the episode on iTunes just for that scene. The common ground between Martha and Chloe is fairly obvious to me.

OTOH, not fond of the whole "taking Waller's place" and I think that was the key behind the scene -- as opposed to just having common ground. I think this is part of what is happening with Chloe.

Perhaps it was too subtle.

Comment

• MOD NOTE: Please don't turn this into a Chloe vs. Lois debate. Everyone knows by now that character vs. character and ship vs. ship posts are NOT allowed. So please stop. If people do not edit their posts, everyone who has turned this into a baiting Chloe vs. Lois thread will be edited and written up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Akira
              I won't sugar coat my thoughts on this matter. I find it utterly pathetic that certain characters like Chloe and Lana need to be glorified to such extreme measures for their journey on Smallville to seem valuable.

IMO, it just speaks poorly of the characters, that they need this type of exaggerated attention placed on them in their last episodes. It's silly.
              I agree. I'm still at a loss as to what the producers/writers mentality is. I wonder what goes on in those noggins inbetween all of the triangles, romantic relationship potential, ways to keep Clark from moving forward, and glorifying certain characters.

And as for Chloe and Martha's "deep" relationship, that's something that was never seen on the show. Lois and Martha have the closest relationship from the females and if TPTB want to pretend that Chloe and Martha had an equal bond, let them delude themselves, but the audience can go back and actually watch the episodes and see the truth.
              Well, according to many, that ONE SCENE in Vengeance seems to hold enough Martha/Chloe bonding power to make some believe that they have a vast history and deep mother/daughter relationship that stretches and wraps itself around the entire series and beyond. It was a nice scene, even though Martha was emotionally vulnerable after suffering through such a traumatic experience and a tree stump probably would've gotten a similar response from her..... I kid.
              Last edited by HopeforTomorrow; 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• With regards to the Martha-Chloe closeness, I'd say that since Chloe never had a mother figure to raise her, Martha (despite how much or little time they may or may not have spent together) seems to be an appropriate and close enough stand-in. For someone who never spent much time with her mother, I'd say that Chloe's statement was fair and very plausible.

As for Martha's statement about Clark needing Chloe as much as the world needs him... I didn't take that to mean Chloe specifically is his guiding light. I took it as more of a general statement that reiterated the importance of Clark having friends he can depend on. I would think that Martha believes the same thing of people like Lois, Oliver and the Justice League. Clark needs them all, just as much as the world needs him. Now, because Chloe happens to be one of the closest people to him and has known him the longest, her role in his life is highly significant and losing her would be a devastating blow to him -- even bigger than losing Carter was (add in the fact that he will eventually rise again and Chloe can't). Overall, I don't think Martha was trying to say that Clark can't become a great hero without Chloe, but it it does highlight the fact that her involvement in his life has greatly influenced him and that it is important for her to be around because he cares about her and vice-versa she cares about him. Maybe these things didn't need to be said... but this kind of thing is what Martha does. She's very caring and motherly, she gives words of encouragement and maybe she was trying to make Chloe feel better and ease her guilt for leaving him and concurrently easing some of hers for being gone for so long, too.

Comment

• It was a great scene IMO, good music, great actors and strong performances.

Comment

• I loved the scene..... and incase no one noticed.. alot of things happen off screenville!!!
                    Chloe knew the Kents for a long time.. I'm sure a bond formed. Its just they only have 40ish minutes each episode so they never consitrated on it.. That scene in Vengance showed a bond over Clark forming also. Martha has watched Chloe grow up so ofcourse she feels motherly towards her. I really feel that some people are just trying reasons to hate Chloe or some might that it threatens their favorite character... but i personally do not feel it threatens any other character.... all characters are important in telling of this story....

And i also see no reason why it is a bad thing for Martha to let Chloe know she is important to Clark. She was note saying that Chloe is the most important person in the world i dont think. just that she ment alot to Clark and helped him. Then agian i havent watched this scene for a week or so LOL.

I loved the scene and it brought tears to my eyes. I thought it was beautiful. I always thought it would of been nice in past seasons to see more scenes with them together...

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎