Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Martha/Chloe Scenes: OOC & Revising History

The scene with Martha and Chloe at the beginning of this episode felt very out of character (OOC). I don't remember Chloe and Martha ever being that close. The only character who I've seen Martha ever have any kind of real bond with is Lois. Not even Lana, who was Clark's main love interest for most of this series, ever really had an onscreen bond with Martha.

I was just confused why the writers felt it necessary to basically revise the shows own history to have Chloe and Martha suddenly be so close and with Chloe even feeling that Martha was like a mother.

It just all feels very odd.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I definitely agree. I believe they wanted to credit Martha with as much as they could (like with Chloe and Lana in Collateral and Power respectively). It was too much but it's one detail I can forget.

Forum Yoda ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~'s Avatar
    Last week they whitewashed Chloe's actions, this week they're rewriting history for Chloe, anyone else sensing a pattern?

Custom Title
    ITA. That was terrible. *sigh* Show, why are you doing this?

It sounded like Chloe became Clark's mother. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessKent View Post
    It sounded like Chloe became Clark's mother. LOL.
    And that actually goes along with the writing in the episode Persuasion of last season where Lois accused Chloe of turning into a "mother hen" as the only means of Chloe being able to retain her closeness to Clark.

LOYAL TOM WELLING FAN wellinglover66's Avatar
    I sure did...what a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~ View Post
    Last week they whitewashed Chloe's actions, this week they're rewriting history for Chloe, anyone else sensing a pattern?
    I really hate when this type of OOC and revision is painfully obvious. Watching that scene I was just, "What???" It felt so off I couldn't even focus and that rarely happens to me with this show but this scene just felt so forced.

Quote Originally Posted by thelane View Post
    The scene with Martha and Chloe at the beginning of this episode felt very out of character (OOC). I don't remember Chloe and Martha ever being that close. The only character who I've seen Martha ever have any kind of real bond with is Lois. Not even Lana, who was Clark's main love interest for most of this series, ever really had an onscreen bond with Martha.

I was just confused why the writers felt it necessary to basically revise the shows own history to have Chloe and Martha suddenly be so close and with Chloe even feeling that Martha was like a mother.

IA!

That conversation really sounded like something she would say to Lois... even in Season 4... both Clark's parents treated LOIS like a daughter... and she treated them like parents in return.

Yeah, the Chloe things was very weird to me.

And Clark couldn't become who he needed to be with his mom and CHLOE around Wow, that's just sad! And Martha actually stated that fact!!!

Forum Yoda ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~'s Avatar
    This is why I didn't want Chloe to return, I figured something like this would happen.

Well, Chloe has pretty much been watching Clark's back since she found out about his powers. I would that that would make her aces in the eyes of Martha.

Chloe's practically being canonized it seems. Her calling Martha a mother figure is ridiculous. Basically, she's the only female of mother age that's ever been in Chloe's life, that does not make a mother!!

Quote Originally Posted by thelane View Post

I both agree and disagree. On one hand, I agree that the relationship between Chloe and Martha was never really showcased much previously... On the other hand, however, I always thought that they probably spent a good deal of time together off-screen, seeing how close Chloe and Clark were during the entire time Martha was on the show. So, I really bet Martha DID inspire her and acted as a mother figure to her -- she was undoubtedly the closest adult female to her during her teenage years. It reminded me a lot of the Chloe-Martha scene in "Vengeance," so honestly, I loved that scene, and will be re-watching it several times just for the warm, fuzzy feeling I get when hearing their mutual pep-talks.

When Chloe found out Clark's secret and the way she was there to protect him throughout her character's development and also when Martha left lent to reasons why Martha and her appeared close.

Of course it's going to seem as though Lois is close because she's been crashing at the Kent's since the introduction of her character.

I completely disagree with the OP. This was not OOC or a rewrite of their relationship. I believe people need to rewatch Vengeance from season 5. This is the episode immediately following Reckoning. While Martha and Chloe have not had a lot of direct on screen relationship scenes through the years their interaction in this specific episode specifically defines their relationship on screen.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast