Television Ratings for "Beacon"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So 2.33, huh? I'm ok with that. It deserves so much higher than that as it was such a spectacular episode, but 2.33 is not horrible by any means.

Originally posted by SnowBird
    Some good news...Smallville is #1 on Amazon Video on Demand.
    Sweet!!!!! It deserves it!

Comment

Originally posted by A Flawed Fashion
      Such a small percentage of the audience actually sees the online clip and most of those are big fans who will watch no matter what. Look at how many people here watched the preview, disliked it, and still watched the episode. Most of the people who watched the preview clip would have had to tune out for this to matter and I know they didn't -- especially since the clip tended to circulate most among Chloe/Chlollie fans who certainly watched. I almost never like the preview clips, but that doesn't stop me from watching.

Like others are saying, it hasn't been a good week for the CW shows that usually show pretty strong:

TVD:
      December 1st: 3.16
      January 27th: 3.55
      February 3rd: 3.22
      February 10th: 2.79

Supernatural:
      December 10th: 2.27
      February 4th: 2.25
      February 11th: 1.96

You can't blame the fall in the ratings of TVD or Supernatural on a Smallville preview clip. There is no evidence that it is because of the clip and the ratings for TVD and Supernatural seem to indicate that it is a trend in the end of week CW ratings.

In season 8, all but 1 of the first 11 episodes reached over 4million viewers. After that the only episode to reach 4million viewers was Power in episode 13 (and that can really be considered part of the first half of the season's ratings trend with episode 12 being a second under 4m episode for the half). Nothing after that reached 4million and the second half showed a trend in much lower ratings with Stiletto and Doomsday getting only a little over 3million which was down a million viewers from early episodes.

Last season Hostage, Sacrifice and Upgrade were all under 2million and while that dip occurred later in the season, I think that this season's ratings dip is going to occur earlier than last season due to the final episodes likely pulling in more people to see how it ends (especially if they promo it right) and Absolute Justice being a big boost in momentum for the second half with good promo and strong comic fan pull in.

Episodes 16 to 21 last season were all under 2.3 million (this week's rating) but I think this season is going to go out stronger than other seasons because the final episodes should be the best ones if the producers know what they are doing. I think that in the end, this season's second half should wind up averaging higher than last season's if the middle continues to pull in 2.3 -2.5 million and the end numbers wind up higher. If the end episode ratings aren't higher than last season (where they were very low), something isn't right with promotion or the episodes themselves.
      I am not a fan of blaming characters for high or low ratings (just replied to the person about Chlollie because I thought maybe they didn't know about webclip for the episode) but as for last year, those episode were low due to pre-empts and one major movie opening in may. If if there are pre-empts again this year I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings are the same as they were in the final few episodes last year.

Comment

Originally posted by jbshmdfb
        I am not a fan of blaming characters for high or low ratings (just replied to the person about Chlollie because I thought maybe they didn't know about webclip for the episode) but as for last year, those episode were low due to pre-empts and one major movie opening in may. If if there are pre-empts again this year I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings are the same as they were in the final few episodes last year.
        I understand. Every season there are going to be things like movie openings, good weather, holidays, and a preemption or two to pull people away from the screen. It just seems like all these threads turn into "blame it on what I don't like about this episode or the previous one" when that really isn't that easy to do. This week really seems to be a downward trend among other shows as well for whatever reason and not just a Smallville issue which makes it even harder to blame on specifics of the episode -- you don't know how much was external factors and how much was internal to Smallville episodes.

As for the final episodes, under 2 million is exceptionally low, but it is still part of a lower ratings in the second half trend (with six episodes in a row being lower than this week's) and even with preemptions, I think that Smallville really could do well in the final stretch for a change if they go out running. This show finally leading to Clark being Superman will draw people in.

Comment

Originally posted by A Flawed Fashion
          I understand. Every season there are going to be things like movie openings, good weather, holidays, and a preemption or two to pull people away from the screen. It just seems like all these threads turn into "blame it on what I don't like about this episode or the previous one" when that really isn't that easy to do. This week really seems to be a downward trend among other shows as well for whatever reason and not just a Smallville issue which makes it even harder to blame on specifics of the episode -- you don't know how much was external factors and how much was internal to Smallville episodes.

As for the final episodes, under 2 million is exceptionally low, but it is still part of a lower ratings in the second half trend (with six episodes in a row being lower than this week's) and even with preemptions, I think that Smallville really could do well in the final stretch for a change if they go out running. This show finally leading to Clark being Superman will draw people in.
          yeah I can't see the finale not having big ratings compared to the rest of the season, I mean I know I only speak for me but I don't care what movie opens that day or what other show plays, I'm staying home to watch the finale And I agree everything on the CW was down this week so I don't think it's that big a deal. Heck with the series low rating TVD and Nikita had, I am surprised CW didn't repeat again last min.

Comment

Originally posted by jbshmdfb
            Heck with the series low rating TVD and Nikita had, I am surprised CW didn't repeat again last min.

Comment

Does anyone have the season breakdown so far?

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by LuLu
              ...the answer is clear to me, there have been breaks and delays before and the ratings did not dip as low as these episodes.
              If I recall correctly there is always a fall off in ratings in the latter part of the season, so I wouldn't be the least little bit surprised to see us dip a little. (Hence why I asked for the season breakdown - must see if I can find or if someone has breakdowns from past seasons). I do expect to see it rise again the closer we get to the end; particularly with the finale. The show still has a lot of interest in it. Michael Rosenbaum and Lex Luthor trending world wide on Twitter for as long as it did yesterday is testimony to that IMO.

Not that it matters much when the final season is locked in so there's no danger of cancellation before we get to the finale, but I do think and have maintained for several seasons now that the way people watch their favourite TV Shows is changing. We don't reschedule our lives for them anymore, we live our lives and find a way of watching when it suits us instead of when the station dictates we should. I think this is something every station is having to come to terms with as the way we enjoy TV shows continues to change. So yes, things like Friday night dinners/dates and shopping before V-Day will have a small effect IMO, as will the release of major movies or other holidays. Personally I think bad weather is more likely to make us stay IN.

----- Added 10 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by SnowBird
              Some good news...Smallville is #1 on Amazon Video on Demand.
              ^^^ THIS being a prime example of the different ways we watch our shows Though in fairness I think ITunes is a better indicator (does anyone know if its doing anything there?) because the Amazon rankings are done hourly...
              Last edited by cloisthelegendbegins; 02-12-2011, 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by cloisthelegendbegins
                Does anyone have the season breakdown so far?

Season 10:

Lazarus: 2.98
                Shield: 2.38
                Supergirl: 2.30
                Homecoming: 3.19
                Isis: 2.60
                Harvest: 2.96
                Ambush: 2.63
                Abandoned: 2.90
                Patriot: 2.60
                Luthor: 2.76
                Icarus: 2.55
                Collateral: 2.37
                Beacon: 2.32

Season 9:

Savior: 2.58
                Metallo: 2.24
                rabid: 2.30
                Echo: 2.61
                Roulette: 2.52
                Crossfire: 2.57
                Kandor: 2.63
                Idol: 2.68
                Pandora: 2.45
                Disciple: 2.52
                Absolute Justice: 2.77
                Warrior: 2.48
                Persuasion: 2.42
                Conspiracy: 2.53
                Escape: 2.13
                Checkmate: 2.13
                Upgrade: 1.84
                Charade: 2.23
                Sacrifice: 1.89
                Hostage: 1.92
                Salvation: 2.45

Season 8:

Odyssy: 4.34
                Plastique: 4.18
                Toxic: 4.05
                Instinct: 4.11
                Committed: 4.18
                Prey: 4.15
                Identity: 4.32
                Bloodline: 4.45
                Abyss: 3.55
                Bride: 4.18
                legion: 4.29
                Bulletproof: 3.85
                Power: 4.21
                Requiem: 3.93
                Infamous: 3.56
                Turbulence: 3.49
                Hex: 3.79
                Eternal: 3.84
                Stiletto: 3.10
                Beast: 3.23
                Injustice: 3.39
                Doomsday: 3.13

Season 7:

Bizarro: 5.18
                Kara: 4.59
                Fierce: 4.82
                Cure: 5.18
                Action: 4.65
                Lara: 4.31
                Wrath: 4.64
                Blue: 4.51
                Gemeni: 3.71
                Persona: 3.81
                Siren: 4.01
                Fracture: 3.67
                Hero: 3.80
                Traveler: 3.44
                Veritas: 3.86
                Decent: 3.61
                Sleeper: 3.62
                Apocolypse: 3.81
                Quest: 3.99
                Arctic: 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by LuLu
                  As I predicted another low rated episode this will continue for the next two episodes. NO COMMENTS NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Some people dont get it so I wont say it... but the preview for beacon turned people off!! (the after sex scene!wtf!) so two out of two for me...
                  Way to go! tptb congradulations on f....it up!
                  You honestly think the 2 Million+ viewers of Smallville go online and check up about it? NO, we are the minority, the Beacon Preview clip would of turned 100 people at max, not 100,000

Comment

It has something to do with the second half, I am a big Chuck fan on their board they were excited maybe for a fifth season but because their rating have dropped in the second half, now they aren't so sure. Looking at the ratings listed above, they all show a drop off in the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by LilMo
                      You honestly think the 2 Million+ viewers of Smallville go online and check up about it? NO, we are the minority, the Beacon Preview clip would of turned 100 people at max, not 100,000

Lots of things turn people off. Be it the storyline, the characters, other shows among other things..
                      Promos, previews, adverts are necessary, they are not just done for the sake of it. They have the power to boost or brake ratings. Take DC centred episodes like Aqua, Justice & absolute Justice for example, ratings sky rocketed, attracting comic buffs to the show. Not everyone checks online, but word of mouth do spread, and YT vids spread like fire.Other episodes like supergirl had the power to brake ratings, because of the way kara was portrayed in the promos, which upset a lot of fans.
                      I have no idea why Beacon dropped, it had everything for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueRanger
                        Lots of things turn people off. Be it the storyline, the characters, other shows among other things..
                        Promos, previews, adverts are necessary, they are not just done for the sake of it. They have the power to boost or brake ratings. Take DC centred episodes like Aqua, Justice & absolute Justice for example, ratings sky rocketed, attracting comic buffs to the show. Not everyone checks online, but word of mouth do spread, and YT vids spread like fire.Other episodes like supergirl had the power to brake ratings, because of the way kara was portrayed in the promos, which upset a lot of fans.
                        I have no idea why Beacon dropped, it had everything for everyone.

The drop in ratings for Beacon could be due to the bad taste left from viewing Collateral the week before I know this was the case for me and am still p...ed about it!
                        Beacon did NOT have enough of Clark or Clois to make it all better.
                        I still feel this season it too over-crowded and less focus on Clark. Oh right this will all happen during the two hour finale,right

Comment

Collateral was not a good episode, it dropped A LOT from first half hour to second half hour.

However Beacon GAINED from first half hour to second half hour, it seems to me it is mainly the bad taste left in everyone's mouth from Collateral AND the fact that VD falls on Monday so most went out Friday to celebrate it that Smallville was low this week. However, if you look at the other ratings of the network this week Smallville was pretty up there in the ratings. TVD reached a season low, as did some others. Smallville still didn't reach a season low, that belongs to Supergirl.

I will however add a little tidbit, episodes that have been promoted to include Clois moments on average score higher in ratings then those without any Clois promotion. Some people watch for the romance, and that's the main draw in couple. I hope they are able to show an equal balance of romance AND action and not be too heavy with one over the other the rest of the season.
                          Last edited by mirandalynn22; 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Collateral lost approximately 100K viewers from the first 30 minutes to the next 30 minutes. That's a huge indication that people did NOT like what they were seeing. And yes, I believe that the episode that airs a week before has the strongest influence on the following episode (more so than any preview clip or trailer).

Collateral was awful, and Beacon was only slightly better but not by a lot.

There are a lot of factors that go into ratings, for sure, but one thing is clear: Not a lot of fans are showing up to see the popular Chloe Sullivan.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by LilMo
                            First of all, preview clips are seen by thousands of fans, not 100. These clips are released on the main site and then uploaded to various other sites, so a lot of people do see them. However, I agree that obviously 100K people would not see a preview clip.

100K people, however, would in combination see the preview clip, the previous episode, and other promotion for the episode, and that could figure into the 100K loss.

It's not like episodes air in a vacuum. People will see them and if they don't like the episode one week they may not tune in the next week. In addition to that, if some see a preview clip and do not like the content, then THEY may decide not to tune in, and these people are added to the previous list. And this continues until you lose your 100K (or whatever number) of viewers. And of course there are usually other factors. Sometimes you lose viewers but gain others and that cancels each other out.

But again, if the episode loses viewers something had to cause it. I would say it was Collateral itself. It was a poor episode that actually lost 100K viewers within the episode. Here, you CAN blame the episode because people came into it, and then 30 minutes into it decided it wasn't worth their time and changed the channel.
                            Last edited by Akira; 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Final ratings: http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t.../563103253/p/5

Smallville
                              - 2.338 million viewers
                              - 1.4/2 HH
                              - 0.9/3 A18-49
                              - 0.8/4 A18-34
                              - 0.6/2 W18-34

Comment

One billion!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀