Collapse
No announcement yet.

#1.14 "No Ordinary Double Standard"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason why I think the show was low on ratings yesterday is my guess lack of advertising. Besides Rookie Blue (which will be back this summer) No Ordinary Family is the only show I watch on ABC. It could be that the reason NOF had low ratings is we weren't notified of the new episode.

The show took a two week break from it's prior episode I tuned in the week after.The detention episode expecting the next episode only to be disappointed.To learn it wouldn't be back until another week or so that's ABC's problem. They never tell us 'hey the next episode will be on this date'. I just hope the show doesn't get canceled it's been really great. I'm a Katie/Watcher shipper i'm stuck on why Daph is getting more powers.

First she had the mind reading,then visual from touch,and now persuasion.With no explanation of how she's getting these added powers.This won't turn out well for her because she'll become power hungry. With no bounderies set she'll just use her new power to get what she wants.

Comment

I think you're right about the lack of advertising. I couldn't even find the promo trailer for the episode on the ABC site. No promotional material = few viewers. Plus, it's got to be hard competing with a show like Glee.

Comment

Originally posted by Clois4eva89
        I'm a Katie/Watcher shipper i'm stuck on why Daph is getting more powers.

First she had the mind reading,then visual from touch,and now persuasion.With no explanation of how she's getting these added powers.This won't turn out well for her because she'll become power hungry. With no bounderies set she'll just use her new power to get what she wants.
        Daphne isn't getting more powers...she's been able to control people all along but didn't know how to do it -- the mugger with the gun forced her to try it and it worked. This is exactly the same arc used in Heroes with the development of Matt Parkman's powers, which is why I was expecting Daphne to eventually control minds as well as read them.

I am also concerned with the boundaries of her powers -- she could become extremely evil if she has no moral compass.

Comment

So 2 things bothered me about this episode. Well besides Jim being a sexist pig of course.

First of all I thought if Will didnt get those injections he would start to withdraw as previously shown? So what, did they just make that a 1 time episode? Because he is still going against Dr. King and his powers and health seem perfectly fine! Plothole anyone?

Secondly, a few episodes back Daphne lost her memories and it was never brought up again!!! Really?! With how much her mom was freaking out about getting rid of their powers in the beginning, something major like this happens and they just go along like nothing happened? I dont think so! When this weeks villian told Steph and Jim that he had his memories taken away I was expecting them to think of their daughter and maybe see a connection. How can they not be worried about that?! That really bugs me.

So with that being said, I thought the Special FX were really good.

Oh and Daphnes powers reminds me of Matts powers from "Heroes". It started out as just reading thoughts, but evolved into being able to make people do what he wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by MannaBanana
            So 2 things bothered me about this episode. Well besides Jim being a sexist pig of course.

First of all I thought if Will didnt get those injections he would start to withdraw as previously shown? So what, did they just make that a 1 time episode? Because he is still going against Dr. King and his powers and health seem perfectly fine! Plothole anyone?
            He doesn't go to Dr.King anymore...did you watch episode 1x13: No Ordinary Detention? He injected himself with the serum to save Katie from Victoria the shape shifter.

Comment

Originally posted by eternallyfate
              He doesn't go to Dr.King anymore...did you watch episode 1x13: No Ordinary Detention? He injected himself with the serum to save Katie from Victoria the shape shifter.
              Yes I know, thats what I said! Without the injections he is suppose to go into withdraw and he hasnt been going to Dr. King anymore so he should be going into withdraw! Sure he injected himself with the serum in that episode, but its been a while since his last injection. Get what Im saying?

Comment

Originally posted by MannaBanana
                Yes I know, thats what I said! Without the injections he is suppose to go into withdraw and he hasnt been going to Dr. King anymore so he should be going into withdraw! Sure he injected himself with the serum in that episode, but its been a while since his last injection. Get what Im saying?
                Yeah I know, but I think it takes awhile for that too happen. It just doesn't take a week.

Alright example is episode 1x09...I think that's when Dr.King stopped giving it to him and then in by episode 1x11 The Watcher realized his love for Katie which made him not want the powers anymore cause he didn't need the powers to feel special anymore cause being with Katie made him feel special. He still wasn't hurt in Episode 12 but episode 13 is when he start being sick and the withdraw start to set in so yeah I don't think it happens overnight....

I think from episode 1x13 and 1x14 it's been just a week or less.
                Guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

Not a strong episode. I mainly wanted to comment on the Matt Parkman job they're doing on Daphne, but I see it's been covered.

Originally posted by drwood
                  I wonder if King has the ability to suppress the powers of those who took the serum (i.e. like The Haitian in Heroes) -- maybe those suppression abilities won't work on the Powells?
                  Given the memory wiping stuff, I'm leaning more toward a "mind job" sort of thing on anyone he had in that operating room (brainwashing/programming). Similar to Wesley Snipes' character in Demolition Man, where he couldn't harm Mr. "Be Well". Or he might have a power of his own (to suppress), as you said. And if so, maybe only the "artificial" abilities can be suppressed, as you also said.

For next week's preview -- I wonder if the shapeshifter can imitate the abilities of those she turns into -- otherwise, how would she stand a chance of overpowering Jim?
                  I hope they don't do that...being able to look like other people is "super" enough. I hope she just has an elevated strength capacity in connection to her ability to manipulate her body matter, and that she over-powered Jim only temporarily (thanks to the element of surprise).
                  Last edited by Xanderman; 02-13-2011, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dotsie23
                    And the hits just keep on coming! This will be the third show I've liked since the new season began!
                    On that note here's the score card network big wigs. Im thinking that V, The Cape, and No Ordinary Family r not gonna make it. Im also really worried about Fringe and The Event. I lose Smallville regardless, so if I lose the other five as well, my network viewing for next year will simply be Bones and Nikita. That's it. Way to drive away a customer network tv.

Comment

I wish Terminator was still on too... I just hope NOF survives for at least one more season before going to the K-site Morgue.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎