Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The whole not trusting Clark before they knew his secret theme was just nonsense

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whole not trusting Clark before they knew his secret theme was just nonsense

I was pretty angry when I heard Clark & Chloe talking about how people who didn't know his secret were able to trust him at that time. I think the writers were on drugs or something. Why wouldn't they be able to trust him if they didn't suspect him of anything? I could care less what Chloe said that deep down she knew Clark was different because that's nonsense when you go back & watch the episodes before Pariah. Especially before & during her deal with Lionel when she would have done anything to find out the truth if she suspected anything.

This was really an insult to our intelligence. The only ones who wouldn't trust him before they knew his secret would definitely be Lex because he did suspect Clark was hiding secrets from him and Lana because Clark was very inconsistent with her romantically & her suspicions after the tornadoes. But Chloe or Lois definitely would have no reason not to trust him before they knew his secret.

I posted something similar in another thread, but I think it applies better in this one.

I feel they rectoned everything with that couch scene. Chloe knowing his secret and not telling him although he lied to her face (back in season 4) wasn't about trust, it was about respect. Clark had a secret he didn't want to share with her and after 4 years of prying (and a couple of betrayals), chloe was finally able to accept the fact (with Lois' help, btw) that he had the right to keep that secret from her. And season 9 and Lazarus showed how little she has trusted him lately, and how he had earned his right to distrust her and she never acknowledged her part.

Comment

Chloe and Lois suspected of him lying to them all the time. There were so many ridiculous and half*ssed excuses Clark gave to them and they hinted or flat out said they knew he was lying to them. They trusted that he was lying to them for a good reason.

However, I do think they swept some things under the rug. For example when Chloe did agree to spy and research on Clark for Lionel. That wasn't being trustworthy, she betrayed Clark. That was the only gripe I had with that conversation. I'd say she let things go in S1 and S2 but then betrayed him at the end of S2 until mid S3. Thats when she stopped prying. Most of the cast knew Clark was lying or hiding something but Clark would deny it. I think Lana summed it up in Hydro that it bothered her more that Clark and Chloe denied the existence of the secret than the secret itself.

edit: Also completely forgetting about the events of S9 annoyed me alot. For example when Lois said that this is the first time Chloe didn't confide in Clark when Chloe had been keeping things from him all season long.
      Last edited by Connor_Kent; 02-05-2011, 10:18 AM.

Comment

^^ There were moments when Chloe and Lois suspected Clark was more than what he let them to believe. But they never held it against him. They hoped and trusted that in time he would reveal it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Connor_Kent
          edit: Also completely forgetting about the events of S9 annoyed me alot. For example when Lois said that this is the first time Chloe didn't confide in Clark when Chloe had been keeping things from him all season long.
          Since Lois is blissfully oblivious to most of events of season 9, it's logic she would say that. And it's logic Clark wouldn't refute her, since he'll never talk behind someone else's back. I wish Chloe would have been more honest about her mistakes, just as Clark was candid about his. But I guess I'll never see this on this show.

Comment

I agree A LOT of stuff was just magically brushed under the rug.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
              I was pretty angry when I heard Clark & Chloe talking about how people who didn't know his secret were able to trust him at that time. I think the writers were on drugs or something. Why wouldn't they be able to trust him if they didn't suspect him of anything? I could care less what Chloe said that deep down she knew Clark was different because that's nonsense when you go back & watch the episodes before Pariah. Especially before & during her deal with Lionel when she would have done anything to find out the truth if she suspected anything.

This was really an insult to our intelligence. The only ones who wouldn't trust him before they knew his secret would definitely be Lex because he did suspect Clark was hiding secrets from him and Lana because Clark was very inconsistent with her romantically & her suspicions after the tornadoes. But Chloe or Lois definitely would have no reason not to trust him before they knew his secret.
              Maybe I took this conversation differently, but how I read the scene was that Chloe, and especially Lois always just trusted Clark.

And that when you do fully trust another person, you believe what they are doing is right,or if they are holding something back give them time to reveal it.

In my opinion the only relationship that has shown trust both ways throughout the show is CLOIS. Clark has always just trusted Lois and so as Lois.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think that Chloe had a clue until Alicia showed her Clark's powers. Then she just was waiting for him to tell her everything. She didn't harass him and spy on him like Lexana did, but still, prior to Season 4, I don't think Chloe was just sitting back and trusting him.

Lois was much more suspicious of him between Seasons 4-9. But I don't think she really wanted to pry. Wasn't really about "trusting he had a good reason" either.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision

There have been several times I thought the writers were on drugs in the last 10 years. I hope they all go to rehab before they write the finale.

Comment

Clark was always rushing off and letting her down, but Chloe almost always gave him the benefit of the doubt. This theme wasn't "nonsense" at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
                      Clark was always rushing off and letting her down, but Chloe almost always gave him the benefit of the doubt. This theme wasn't "nonsense" at all.
                      While I would agree `almost always` there were episodes like Zero where Chloe goes overboard looking into his past or Exodus where she sold Clark out for a job that I think are somewhat questionable choices.

Comment

Originally posted by jpfort1957
                        There have been several times I thought the writers were on drugs in the last 10 years. I hope they all go to rehab before they write the finale.

Best idea EVER

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                          Since Lois is blissfully oblivious to most of events of season 9, it's logic she would say that. And it's logic Clark wouldn't refute her, since he'll never talk behind someone else's back. I wish Chloe would have been more honest about her mistakes, just as Clark was candid about his. But I guess I'll never see this on this show.
                          Oh like how he took chloe memories away , I don't remember clark admiting that to chloe and lois .

Comment

Originally posted by chloeoliver
                            Oh like how he took chloe memories away , I don't remember clark admiting that to chloe and lois .
                            Exactly. Everything was swept under the rug (again) in this episode. And while Clark kept that to himself (something I'm sure he's pretty ashamed of) he was very candid about his other mistakes. Chloe didn't aknowledge or isn't repentant about any of hers.

Comment

Originally posted by chloeoliver
                              Well, only the ones about HIS secret And she was happier after he did that...

All the spying on his personal phone calls with Lois and whatnot - the kryptonite arsenal... were not things she did FOR Clark... or that he was happy with, jmho.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎