No announcement yet.

The Return of Black Canary

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alicia Chipy
    That painted on mask is REALLy irksome! How does she have the time to do that prior to going into action? Can't the costume people not buy her a cheap domino mask. Besides the comics' Canary goes mask-less,the wig is enough for her.
    I've never really been a fan of the mask either, but I kinda liked it in this episode. I think she just looked better all around than she has in the past. Especially with the longer hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrific_T
      Hmmm... I somewhat I agree with this.

I agree that there wasn't much depth to her character and the only reason they used her is because they needed an anti-chloe to pull Clark in the other direction and of course in the end Dinah would have to be proven wrong.

I disagree that the way she interacted with Ollie was a slap in the face of the mythos. I think that fight scene at the end where Green Arrow and Black Canary took down the bad guys and saved Chloe was their way of nodding to the famous GA/BC teamwork interaction and I thought it worked well and my inner fangirl was satisfied with it.

I'm actually really glad they didn't pair her up with Ollie in any way besides the teamwork because Chlollie is obviously where this show is headed and I think it would've been more of a slap in the face of the mythos to see Dollie showing signs of attraction toward each other and then Ollie leaning more and more toward Chloe the more he figured things out and then dressing Dinah down for being wrong in the end. Because to me, it was obvious from the beginning of the episode that she would be proven wrong. So, I'm glad they just didn't even go there. I thought they were actually pretty respectful to the Dinah/Ollie myth in that sense. You can't have those two characters interacting with each other without the flirtation/attraction thing going on. That's just the way they work. It's kinda like Clark and Lois that way. And because the producers know that and because they have ultimately chosen Chlollie for endgame, they decided to keep Dinah and Ollie away from each other so that in the end when Ollie sided with Chloe and Dinah was proven wrong it wouldn't be slapping the mythos in the face in the sense that Dinah and Ollie were never put together in the first place.

And on top of all that, I'm ABSOLUTELY ECSTATIC that Oliver was not put in the middle of the Chloe vs. Dinah thing, that would've been so demeaning. I hate that crap on TV.

Anyway, Dinah doesn't need Ollie to be her awesome iconic mythos self. This is the Dinah Lance I know and love here, here, here, and here.

She's an awesome character all on her own and I wish Smallville could've paid more attention to who she is as a person instead of just using her for whatever spot they needed to fill.
      I was sad at first that they haven't had her get into a fight with Oliver, I didn't want it to be over Chloe, or anything, just over something stupid like politics, politics particularly since she's been made Conservative and GA was famously a liberal, it didn't need to be romantic, I kinda wanted infurating, you know the "This girl just gets on my nerves!" stuff but now... particularly after reading this, you know what I don't want them to have that epic fight until GA starts acting like himself again and not like this this... I don't know what the word for it is but any GA I would recognize would never get back together with someone after they tried to trade their life for his, or at lest make it look that way, because any GA I know that would be his own personal hell to have someone die for him and he would break up, harshly with said person just to make sure that they would never pull a stunt like that again! As long as GA is Chloe whipped I hope he stays away from BC, she's way too cool for him (even if she is really just being used for bird jokes)... and sadly away from my TV screen... I used to love Oliver...

----- Added 39 Seconds later -----

I've never really been a fan of the mask either, but I kinda liked it in this episode. I think she just looked better all around than she has in the past. Especially with the longer hair.
      Agreed the long hair really does it with that costume.
      Last edited by borednow; 02-07-2011, 02:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia Chipy
        That painted on mask is REALLy irksome! How does she have the time to do that prior to going into action? Can't the costume people not buy her a cheap domino mask. Besides the comics' Canary goes mask-less,the wig is enough for her.
        I was impressed she had time to paint it on given how close the VRA were

Comment

like her longer hair

was it just me, or was there some sort of weird scar on her neck in the virtual world?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Maverick
            like her longer hair

was it just me, or was there some sort of weird scar on her neck in the virtual world?
            Not just you, I noticed it as well, don't know what it was maybe the actress was hurt somehow?

Comment

The scar on her neck was from them removing her powers.

Comment

that makes sense I guess

Comment

you sure it wasn't a hicky? lol

Comment

Originally posted by A Flawed Fashion
                    The scar on her neck was from them removing her powers.
                    that totally makes sense thanks hun

Comment

• Originally posted by borednow
                      I was sad at first that they haven't had her get into a fight with Oliver, I didn't want it to be over Chloe, or anything, just over something stupid like politics, politics particularly since she's been made Conservative and GA was famously a liberal, it didn't need to be romantic, I kinda wanted infurating, you know the "This girl just gets on my nerves!" stuff but now... particularly after reading this, you know what I don't want them to have that epic fight until GA starts acting like himself again and not like this this... I don't know what the word for it is but any GA I would recognize would never get back together with someone after they tried to trade their life for his, or at lest make it look that way, because any GA I know that would be his own personal hell to have someone die for him and he would break up, harshly with said person just to make sure that they would never pull a stunt like that again!
                      Yeah, I do kind of see what you're saying. It definitely would've been cool to see some sparks (not necessarily romantic) fly between Dinah and Ollie, but Oliver just isn't the same guy he was before he was paired with Chloe. The Oliver before Chlollie might've been great with Black Canary (not that I particularly loved "Collateral"'s take on Dinah either), but this Oliver just doesn't work with Dinah.

As long as GA is Chloe whipped I hope he stays away from BC, she's way too cool for him (even if she is really just being used for bird jokes)... and sadly away from my TV screen... I used to love Oliver...
                      Notice how in the scans I posted -- all four pages of them -- from a series called Birds of Prey, there was ONE singular bird joke and it wasn't even referring to Dinah. *grrr* Dinah doesn't need bird jokes to be a fun or interesting character! Come ON, Smallville!

Also, I used to like Oliver before this season too.
                      Last edited by Terrific_T; 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrific_T
                        Yeah, I do kind of see what you're saying. It definitely would've been cool to see some sparks (not necessarily romantic) fly between Dinah and Ollie, but Oliver just isn't the same guy he was before he was paired with Chloe. The Oliver before Chlollie might've been great with Black Canary (not that I particularly loved "Collateral"'s take on Dinah either), but this Oliver just doesn't work with Dinah.
                        No he doesn't, and without that I'm not sure if Smallville knows what to do with Dinah, as cool as she looked this episode her roll could have been filled by anyone who was willing to take a stand to the insanity of just trusting Chloe for no reason... Dinah is just the super hero whose actress has the time available it seems and that's a sad thing.

Notice how in the scans I posted -- all four pages of them -- from a series called Birds of Prey, there was ONE singular bird joke and it wasn't even referring to Dinah. *grrr* Dinah doesn't need bird jokes to be a fun or interesting character! Come ON, Smallville!

Also, I used to like Oliver before this season too.
                        It's pretty sad, one or two would be funny but Chloe mixing nine bird metaphors in one sentence was supper lame. If you are going to have her do something with her Smallville!

Comment

• Originally posted by MarvelXY
                          i vote for all the above

was awesome - she rocked more in this one than the previous episodes. she was on top of her game

could have been better-she never got to interact that much with ollie, again a slap to the mythos and their relationship.

what a total waste - her return was basically used to demystify that they will be nothing between her and oliver, as a result she was made into this heartless and cold u know what. and at the end chloe was made the better woman. What a total waste smallville, you dont need to dumb on dinah like that to show chlollie is the real deal. this is disgusting
                          Exactly. It's the writers patting themselves on the back and putting their own made up character (Chloe) on a pedestal. It's a shame really. I really hoped that all this introduction and tributes to other DC Universe characters would be a way to align the show back with the mythology and history with the lore but instead it seems like it's all just a series of lame token appearances.

The Chloe/Oliver thing was introduced way too late in the series and has gone way too far. An infatuation and relationship in the likes of what he had with Louis would have been fine, but they make it out to be like they're star-crossed soul mates which is silly, especially when they've already brought in the Black Canary. Oliver/Dinah are both signature to and celebrated in the DC world and pretty much a defining and integral part of both characters yet it's done no justice on this show (aside from two subtle bantering comments in Siren). I'm not saying that they should have the same relationship on the show, just not a slap in the face and cold shoulder.
                          Last edited by Jack Lemure; 02-13-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎