Thread: Pawn Stars

Forum Regular

Pawn Stars

does any one watch pawn stars on histroy channel?y favrite epsidoe were chum buy hot air baollon. it wasfunny.

I've watched it a few times. I am really interested in the items that come in, but when they start discussing money, I just get annoyed. I know the pawn shop needs to be able to make money off what they purchase, but I sometimes feel like the shop owners are taking advantage of the people.

And for the record, I feel the same about American Pickers. Actually, AP was the one who really turned me off from that kind of haggling. The picker was trying to get a certain item. The owner wanted $175, the picker didn't want to pay more than $110. They haggled and fought and argued and went back and forth, and finally, the picker bought the item for around $125, which the seller wasn't really happy with. In the post-purchase interview, the picker talked about how he could sell it for $300. If he can sell it for $300, I think he could have afforded to pay closer to $175 for it, but maybe that's just me.

On the other hand, I really like Auction Kings on Discovery. You get all the interesting items, but I don't feel like anyone gets cheated (although admittedly, some don't get as much as they'd like, but that is the nature of auctions).

I feel the same way. Some of the items they get in are fascinating, yet I feel they sometimes screw people over. I understand the shop owners want to make money, but I just don't feel they're being very fair with some people. Sometimes Ebay or other auctions are a seller's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by corfy View Post
    I've watched it a few times. I am really interested in the items that come in, but when they start discussing money, I just get annoyed. I know the pawn shop needs to be able to make money off what they purchase, but I sometimes feel like the shop owners are taking advantage of the people.
    Heck yes! Especially the father/son of grampy, he is so cheap with his offers. And then they do a price check after the poor person has already sold and find out the item was worth way more than he paid the seller.

The grandfather and the son are always fair though.