#6.18 "Frontierland"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The TVBuff Preview Article

6 Reasons Why You Can’t Miss This Week’s Rip-Roarin’ Western Episode

You’d be hard-pressed to find a more fearless series currently on air than the CW’s ‘Supernatural’. Over the past six seasons, the dashing Winchester brothers have faced everything from Santa Claus to a spoof of Dr. McDreamy, but this Friday, they’re facing a genre that few shows (or movies) dare to touch these days: The Western.

‘Supernatural’ already smashed the fourth wall with great aplomb earlier this season, but pulling off a believable Western on a TV budget would be a feat for any show without a premium cable network footing the bill. So it gives us great pleasure to report that, not only is ‘Frontierland’ gorgeous to look at, it’s also one of the series’ strongest episodes to date, providing humor and action while keeping up the momentum of the mythology as we approach the season finale.

TV Squad was lucky enough to see an advanced screener of this Friday’s wild Western episode, and we’ve managed to whittle down an hour of memorable moments into a list of six reasons why this episode is not to be missed. Proceed with caution, pilgrims: there are mild spoilers ahead.

1. Sheriff Winchester
    Jensen Ackles has been vocal in his enthusiasm for ‘Frontierland’ ever since the concept was announced at last year’s Comic-Con, but it’s excellent to see that enthusiasm translate to the screen. The hard-working actor looks like a kid in a candy store throughout the episode’s lighter moments, dropping Eastwood references and drawling like a pro (I guess being from Texas is a great boot-camp for this kind of episode), before effortlessly switching gears to channel the ass-kicking, take-no-prisoners Dean Winchester that we all know and love when the going gets tough.

I found myself reminded of the Dean we first met in season 1 at many points during this episode: The playful, smooth-talking conman who didn’t yet have the weight of the world on his shoulders. And even though the stakes are high in ‘Frontierland,’ I enjoyed those moments of levity and confidence from our put-upon older Winchester; lord knows he deserves an angst-free day or two. This episode seemed like wish-fulfillment at its finest for Ackles, and that excitement is infectious as you watch.

2. Sam vs. Sam
    While Dean is playing Sheriff back in Sunrise, WY, Sam (Jared Padalecki) has an equally important mission — he’s tasked with tracking down the legendary gun-maker, Samuel Colt (Sam Hennings), who may hold the key to defeating Eve. Unfortunately for Sam, crotchety old Colt is “retired” — even though we know there’s no such thing in the hunting world — and isn’t so eager to help out our loveable “giant from the future.” Fans have been imagining what Samuel Colt might look like for the past four seasons, and Hennings is more than worthy of filling those iconic boots. I hope that, somehow, we’ll be seeing more of him in the future (past?).

Though Sam plays the straight man while Dean (predictably) geeks out over their ‘Back to the Future III’ exploits, Padalecki still has his share of physical comedy, and while fans are often concerned when the brothers embark on separate missions, both characters have integral roles to play in the episode.

3. Touched by an Angel
    Speaking of important roles, I was surprised — and pleased — by the amount of Castiel (Misha Collins) we were treated to this week. I had predicted that the Winchesters’ heavenly helper would simply pop in to send and retrieve our heroes, but as producer Sera Gamble promised us at PaleyFest, the last few episodes in the season look set to intertwine Castiel’s storyline with the brothers’ in an unexpected way. Following on from last week’s episode, we start to understand why the human soul holds such value for the angels (and dearly departed Crowley), as well as witness the return of Castiel’s angelic blade.

We’re also introduced to Castiel’s lieutenant Rachel (Sonya Salomaa), who isn’t so fond of the way the Winchesters order Castiel around. Let’s just say her attitude is more Zachariah than Gabriel when it comes to humanity …

4. Butch and Sundance
    The pop-culture references fly thick and fast this week, featuring everything from ‘Star Trek’ and ‘Die Hard’ to the opening credits of ‘Bonanza’ and Clint Eastwood’s more questionable film choices. There’s also a wonderful nod to Jim Beaver’s past work that should please the actor’s loyal fanbase.

Observant ‘Supernatural’ fans will be thrilled by the respect paid to the show’s sprawling mythology; Samuel Colt’s work on the Devil’s Gate from season 2 is mentioned, and if you pay attention, you’ll spot the ancestor of a hunter we met all the way back in season 1.

5. True Grit
    Even an innovative concept like a Western-themed episode can be ruined by poor execution, so I was impressed by the obvious care and respect that went into producing ‘Frontierland.’ Guy Bee’s direction is sharp, deft and doesn’t take itself too seriously. I’ll wager he was enjoying himself immensely in recalling visual cues that make the Western genre so distinct, from atmospheric long-shots that set up the high-noon shootout to extreme close-ups as our sheriff prepares to draw against the black-clad gunslinger that opposes him. Similarly, the episode is tinted with a wonderful, gritty sepia tone, courtesy of cinematographer Serge Ladouceur, which only serves to enhance the visual connection to the films ‘Frontierland’ is inspired by.

6. We Watch for the Plot
    It’s a hotly contested question: How do you improve upon the perfection of Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki? The guys are clearly genetically blessed, and ‘Supernatural’ fans have been treated to a number of memorable costume choices over the years, but I’ve got to admit, cowboy hats and leather dusters definitely blow them all out of the water. Someone needs to hire these two for a feature-length Western, stat. (‘Lone Ranger,’ I’m looking at you.)

Fans have been anticipating this episode for the better part of a year, and I’m pleased to say that it far exceeded my expectations. The humor that was sorely missed in the first half of the season is back with a vengeance now, and writers Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin confidently balance plot, action and pathos while neatly sidestepping the traps that could’ve made the episode feel cheap or kitschy. Saddle up, partners, I predict you’ll want to visit ‘Frontierland’ again and again.

‘Frontierland’ airs this Friday, April 22 at 9PM ET on The CW.

Comment

So we'll be getting continuity with an Elkins getting the Colt? Excellent.

My idea? Samuel Colt gives another hunter the Colt before he goes off to war(on May of 1861) which happens right before Colt dies in 1862.

Comment

Castiel's Dirty Little Secret

Cas has a major role in "Frontierland," but not just because he's the one who sends Sam and Dean back in time. We learn that he has a dirty little secret, one that he's very ashamed of. And for anyone out there who is really in love with Cas, we also hear him say the line: "I need you to let me touch it." If that sounds dirty, it's because it is.
        LOL WOW. Cas...

Comment

Originally posted by Lexgirl33
          LOL WOW. Cas...
          This must be where he checks Bobby's soul. Saw the clip in the April 15 preview.

Comment

"I need you to let me touch it"....just imagine all of those Dean/Cas pairings of fanfic that'll be created just from that quotation alone.

What if Castiel tries to steal Bobby's soul?

Comment

Originally posted by Anno_Domini
              "What if Castiel tries to steal Bobby's soul?
              I could see that being the reason for the guys trapping Castiel in the circle of holy fire from the photos for The Man Who Would Be King.

Comment

Two NEW Clips from the episode!

And an interview with Sera Gamble that includes some more footage from the episode.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Last edited by The Magnificent One; 04-22-2011, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Dean - Clint Eastwood

Sam - Walker, a Texas Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Anu
                    Sorry, the real love-fest in this episode is between Cas and Bobby, who share some really great moments, particularly when one of them finds themselves caring for the other. (D’awww.) The real hero of this episode, however? Sam’s thingamajig. You’ll have to watch to see what I mean by that (…perv). Bonus scoop: Dean has a “fetish,” and we learn what that is.
                    Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Cas and Bobby (new ship? What shall it be named? Bobiel?) together? Sam's thingamajig (I immediately thought 'mojo?' His blood powers.)? And Dean has a fetish (just one? ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
                      Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Cas and Bobby (new ship? What shall it be named? Bobiel?) together? Sam's thingamajig (I immediately thought 'mojo?' His blood powers.)? And Dean has a fetish (just one? ).
                      I'm thinking the thingamajig is Sam's blackberry. Don't remember where I read that...

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎