No announcement yet.

#6.18 "Frontierland"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dexter
    Why would they have to go to the 1800s to find out what the formula is for making the colt, if they already have it?
    Originally posted by Anno_Domini
    the Colt was given new bullets only because Ruby and Crowley made them, for all we know maybe Ruby never told Bobby the secret into making the new bullets.
    As AD said, the current Colt has changed. It was modified by Ruby and is no longer quite the same as the original. So in order to get the original 'formula' they would have to go back in time.

Comment

More stills for the episode!

The CW's Supernatural goes to the Old West April 22, and the network has released a gallery of images from that episode, which is called "Frontierland."

MOD EDIT
      Last edited by Atomic girl; 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM. Reason: rule #11 - Do not re-edit out a moderator's remarks

Comment

Originally posted by Anno_Domini
        Team Free Will already won back in "Swan Song".

Now, IF the Colt is used in "My Heart Will Go On", then at least we know there won't be some paradox involving the boys getting the Colt in 1861 to bringing it back to 2012.
        Team Free Will won against the angels but not against Fate. The triple Goddess Fate decided your destiny from birth to death. Atropos is the Fate who cut your life thread so she is the pagan version of Death. Unfortunately the Fates don't believe in free will.

Comment

MOD EDIT[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by bookworm
          Team Free Will won against the angels but not against Fate. The triple Goddess Fate decided your destiny from birth to death. Atropos is the Fate who cut your life thread so she is the pagan version of Death. Unfortunately the Fates don't believe in free will.
          I don't think the idea of the three goddesses will be incorporated into SPN. If anything, Fate is more concerned with the Titanic, but while she's out and about, she's dealing with the brothers.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
          As AD said, the current Colt has changed. It was modified by Ruby and is no longer quite the same as the original. So in order to get the original 'formula' they would have to go back in time.
          Not to comment anything about this post, but I replied to your message, but it's not showing up on my sent folder. Just letting you know I did, but if you didn't get a reply, I'll send it again.
          Last edited by Atomic girl; 04-18-2011, 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Posted by the director Guy Bee on Twitter.

Comment

The Preview Clip (and the trailer) is up on Ksite: http://l.wbx.me/l/?p=1&instId=6ad556...lip-trailer%2F

It's the same as the start of the clip they showed at Paley, noticed that it was different music though.

Comment

Scoop from EW!

‘SUPERNATURAL’: WELCOME TO THE OLD WEST
                A few weeks back, I laughed out loud when I first read the loglines for “Frontierland,” the highly anticipated episode of Supernatural that takes Dean and Sam on a search for Samuel Colt, because it said Dean was “beside himself with excitement” at the prospect of time traveling to the Old West. I remembered that line as I watched the episode, and I couldn’t have put it better myself. It’s hard not to smile a little as the boys head back to the 1800s, zarapes and all. The episode also marks the introduction of Castiel’s angel lieutenant, Rachel. And for those of you who pondered: No; she’s definitely not a romantic companion. Sorry, the real love-fest in this episode is between Cas and Bobby, who share some really great moments, particularly when one of them finds themselves caring for the other. (D’awww.) The real hero of this episode, however? Sam’s thingamajig. You’ll have to watch to see what I mean by that (…perv). Bonus scoop: Dean has a “fetish,” and we learn what that is. It might be related to something I already mentioned.

This sounds like fun! I can't wait!

Comment

Dean having a fetish over Sam's thingamajig? Hahaha.

I hope to God, or Chuck, or Death, or whoever that this episode doesn't create any paradoxes or retcons.

Comment

Another one from Guy Bee:

Comment

cool one! Seems like they are hunting a monster or something. Even in wild wild-west!

Comment

TV Over Mind Preview Article
                        Supernatural Goes Western: 5 Reasons to Watch Frontierland

Given the macho tone of the series - and the fact that both male leads are good ole' boys from Texas - its' not shocking that Supernatural finally chose to do a Western episode. Fortunately, the episode airing on Friday, April 22 doesn't feel like a gimmick, but fits in with the overall storyline to defeat the Mother of All Evil.

Sam manages to lead Dean and Bobby to the Campbell family library. While there, they discover that the ashes of a Phoenix might be able to defeat Eve. Unfortunately, the boys always thought that Phoenixes were a myth, but they soon discover that one man actually killed one: Samuel Colt, in 1861 Wyoming. Dean, eager to head to the Old West, decides that they should simply use this opportunity to travel back in time and retrieve the ashes they need.

Castiel agrees to send them back for 24 hours. After arriving, they experience their first authentic Western experience: a public hanging. Elias Finch, convicted of murdering his wife, is being hung in the town square. Before he dies, he vows to kill the men he thinks are responsible for his circumstances. When some of the men start dying as threatened, Dean and Sam need to race around the clock to try and kill this Phoenix creature and collect its ashes to bring back to their time.

Besides the obvious novelty of the episode, here's five reasons why you definitely don't want to miss the Old West episode of Supernatural:

(1) The Return of Goofy Dean. Dean's had a lot on his plate lately and hasn't exactly been Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky this season (although he's been getting better - particularly in "The French Mistake"). So it's with happiness that I announce that the goofy/amusing version of Dean is back in full force throughout this episode. From his quiet hurt that the locals don't like his outfit, to his use of the word "posse" in a graveyard scene, to his reaction to the local saloon girl (who is definitely not what he pictured), you'll be thrilled to know that Jensen Ackles pulls out all the stops to make you laugh your head off at Dean in "Frontierland".

(2) Samuel Colt Turns Out to be Awesome. While we've know about Colt and his special gun since the end of the first season, we've never actually seen him before. Sam is fortunate enough to meet Samuel, who is, unsurprisingly, a hunter, albeit somewhat retired. He's tough as nails, accepting of Sam's time-travel story, quick with a pistol, and only somewhat surly. Sam Hennings does a great job and turns this one-time guest star into a very memorable appearance that's worthy of the reputation this show has crafted for Colt. Props should also be given to Matthew John Armstrong, who played Elias Finch with a constant air of danger.

(3) Meet Rachel, the New Angel on the Block. We're supposed to learn more about Castiel and the war in Heaven in an upcoming episode entitled "The Man Who Would be King", along with meeting one of Castiel's allies: an angel named Rachel. I don't know if I simply missed this spoiler, but we actually first meet Rachel in this episode. She may be an ally of Castiel, but she has a lot of disdain for the Winchesters (and possibly for a lot of humans, but we'll need to see). Because of her presence, we have some continuity from the things we learned in "My Heart Will Go On", particularly Castiel and his plan to gather souls, as well the power of a human soul through a demonstration by Cas. We also see a side to Cas that we don't often see, but you'll have to watch to see what I mean.

(4) Dean's Outfit & His Shoot-Out. I'm not going to make apologies for being an unrepentant DeanGirl, but I was very happy to see Dean dressed in authentic Western clothes. Couple that with some tough-guy looks from under the rim of a cowboy hat, and a tense shoot-out at high noon, and any DeanGirl should be very happy with this episode. But don't worry, SamGirls, your boy has a lot to do as well, except he's not as eager to purchase the Western garb as Dean. But he does get to go the name of Walker, Texas Ranger, which is awesome.

(5) Brotherly Banter and Pop Culture References. The return of Goofy Dean, coupled with Soulful Sam, leads to some awesome moments between the brothers, including Sam insulting Dean's love of old Western films and Dean ordering the good drink for himself and the girly drink for Sam. Then there's an incredible amount of pop culture references, including Phoenix jokes, Star Trek jibs, a Die Hard catch-phrase and Back to the Future references. There's even a Hangover reference in there if you can spot it.

On a final note, one fan on Twitter asked me about the music for this episode. The scenes that take place in 1861 have almost exclusively Western-themed music, and there's an amazing montage at the end with a terrific Old West score.

Make sure to tune in to the "Frontierland" episode of Supernatural on Friday, April 22.

Comment

Glad we have that squared away. Sam and Dean go back in time for the Phoenix's ashes and not the Colt. That makes me feel better. And...how much do you think that Campbells are related to Samuel Colt? Makes perfect sense if they find Colt's journal inside the Campbell compound.

And...Die Hard catch phrase? Yippie Ki Yay. Most likely without the cursing, haha.

Comment

Nice!! I cannot wait for this episode, it looks hilarious. If anyone can do episodes like this and pull it off extremely well, it's Supernatural.

Since I see that Jensen is "pulling out all the stops" (AWESOME) I want to see if Dean puts on a "Billy The Kid" or even a "Dirty Harry" persona

The word "continuity" in that review caught my eye, I LOVE that. This show is superb at it.

Thanks for posting that Magnificent One, it makes me anticipate it even more!

I feel I'll be generating a multitude of SPN motivational posters from this episode.

Comment

Buddy TV Preview Article

'Supernatural' Review: 5 Fun Things About the Old West Episode

This week Supernatural is going back to the old west with a time-traveling episode that finds the boys back in 1861. The adventure is full of jokes about classic westerns, making it another fun diversion amidst a sea of very serious issues.

Sure, "Frontierland" has big implications for the season's major storylines about the Mother of All and the war in Heaven, but it's also pure enjoyment, something that will most likely be in short supply moving forward. The final four episodes of the season are going to get quite serious as the Winchesters battle Eve and Castiel fights his war, so Supernatural fans need to savor these quirky episodes while they can.

And "Frontierland" has plenty of quirk. Here are just five of the exciting things you'll see in this episode.

New Opening Credits

Supernatural has done special opening credit sequences in the past with the sitcom theme song from "Changing Channels" and the X-Files homage in "Clap Your Hands If You Believe." This episode adds another one to that list with a special, Bonanza-inspired title sequence.

Dean's Fantasy vs. Reality

No one is more excited to go back to the old west than Dean, who has a very specific vision of what it was like being a cowboy. However, as much as you may fantasize about the sexy saloon girls in their frilly, French corsets, the reality of the situation is a lot less pleasant and might be the scariest thing Dean has ever faced.

Samuel Colt

If you're expecting Samuel Colt to be some legendary, iconic hunting superstar who swoops in like a superhero, you're going to be disappointed. However, the original Colt has plenty of other ways to be awesome, and his reaction to Sam helps to make the man match the myth.

Rachel

If the old west isn't enough, this episode also introduces a new character, one of Castiel's top angel lieutenants, Rachel. She may have strong opinions about the Winchesters, but she's very devoted to her beliefs and will do anything to make sure good triumphs over evil. And by "anything," I mean something you might not expect.

Castiel's Dirty Little Secret

Cas has a major role in "Frontierland," but not just because he's the one who sends Sam and Dean back in time. We learn that he has a dirty little secret, one that he's very ashamed of. And for anyone out there who is really in love with Cas, we also hear him say the line: "I need you to let me touch it." If that sounds dirty, it's because it is.

"Frontierland" features plenty of moody, western action, some big twists for the larger plot of the season, and an ending that will tickle the funny bone of anyone who's familiar with the plots of the Back to the Future movies. It's another fun and light episode, which is probably good because the last four episodes of the season are going to get pretty dark and pretty serious. So enjoy the fun while it lasts, because this may be the last episode for a while where you can just sit back and smile as Sam steps into a big pile of horse poop.

Supernatural airs Friday at 9pm on the CW.

Comment

Wow, I can't say how excited I am for this episode after reading those spoilers! So awesome. I really can't wait! Thanks for posting, TM!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎