Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erica & Kyle: The New Donovon and Juliet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erica & Kyle: The New Donovon and Juliet?

Okay, I know there are some Erica/Father Jack shippers out there but after rewatching "Serpent's Tooth" I'm starting to believe that the producers of V are setting Erica Evans and Kyle Hobbes up as a romance. And you know what? I like it.

V is still missing a critical element and that is heart (I refuse to call it "soul" because that term has been overused a lot lately ). And that's not entirely the fault of the writers or producers because with only 10 episodes to flesh out a story, there just isn't enough time to work in romance and a ton of character development. But at some point we need to get emotionally invested with these characters and nothing can accomplish that better than an onscreen romance. And considering what she's been through with Tyler, Erica desperately needs one.

I like Father Jack. But I feel he is too weak and naive to really match the raw energy of Erica. Kyle, on the other hand, is a bad boy, tough, ruthless and with a small conscience. Erica also is a bad girl, tough, a little ruthless, but she has a huge care factor for the welfare of others. This makes her the perfect match for Kyle and they look good together.

Putting them together reminds me of Donovon and Julie from the original V series. They were both freedom fighters and tough, but they had heart and loved eachother during the war. This version of V DESPERATELY needs this and I hope that this relationship will develop into a real romance. It could be a central theme to this story.

What do you guys and gals think?

I agree, she could use a romance, as long as it’s one that lasts
    I don’t know if they’re planning to make Erica and Hobbes canon, but boy, I’d watch 3 "soul" centered episodes in a row to see that
    They always had good chemistry, but now they’re also working together as partners and watching each other’s backs They have a lot in common, they’re both driven, smart, brave, active, action-loving people. And they also complete each other. Erica’s has morality and compassion and made him realize there are more important things than money, and he supports her when she has hard decisions to make, and as Resistance leader, she’ll probably have plenty of those this season. (like in Hearts and Minds)

Then there’s the obvious fact that they look so hot together, and their scenes are so interesting to watch, because there’s always a power struggle between them, like when she told him to let go of her wrist.

And the two of them being in a romance would send the message that war can bring the most unlikely of people together, not just drive them apart.

I’d love it if Hobbes met Tyler, too. He already has 3 overprotective, motherly figures: Erica, Lisa (she’s his girlfriend, but she acts pretty protective) and Anna (she doesn’t mean well, but she needs him and fakes it). He could really use someone to stop treating him like a child and tell him the hard truth. That’s the only way his character will be able to develop
    Last edited by Alia; 01-17-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

I agree that Erica and Hobbes will probably hook up considering that the editors have been cutting all the Hobbes/Marcus/Sarah scenes from the first 2 episodes of the season, but I would be very surprised if it were an actual romance. I think it will be a meaningless one-night-stand or a casual sex relationship. In light of Erica getting darker, I could even see some story play out where she repeatedly uses him for sex and I hate to think that the writers will probably devalue her character for meaningless junk like this. And his too considering that he will be reduced to love prop function with no actual storyline of his own.

Considering that this show is dealing with an overlapping interspecies war, Erica, the main protagonist, should be engaging in an interspecies arc or arcs like a romance with a Fifth Column Visitor so that the two races (humans and 5C Visitors) begin to bond, begin to share something in common and will unite over the same goal in the end (defeating Anna). That's the logical platform to build the story upon. Instead, it looks like the writers will be completely isolating her character from the bigger theme and bring her to a point where she will be hating all things V (that's the whole purpose behind the experiment storyline that we're currently watching play out), which is why there is no forward momentum to the plot. And with Ryan most likely defecting by the end of the season, we're probably looking at an all-human resistance for a hypothetical season 3 and beyond. So lame.
      Last edited by shadow08; 01-17-2011, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I agree about the interspecies romance *cough, May, cough* , that would be very interesting to the plot development, and it’s lame that there are no new Fifth Column V members. The traitor Vs trying to save humanity are one of the most interesting thing about this show, along with the female protagonist part.
        I really like you, so I hate to argue, or upset you, but I can’t say I agree with the Erica/Hobbes/Marcus/Sarah part.
        Erica and Hobbes have always had great chemistry, but most of last season it was mainly sexual tension. So if they had hooked up after Fruition, I’d definitively say it was just a one night stand. Even in that case, I wouldn’t say it cheapens Erica’s character. One of the best things about her character is the fact that she challenges male/female stereotypes. So why can a male characters have as many one night stands as they want, but a female character having one is cheap? In the finale and in the last 2 episodes, Erica and Hobbes were working together, watching each other’s backs, and Hobbes seems to be there for her a lot. It’s hard not to see that there’s more between them than just sexual tension. So I don’t think them hooking up would be no feeling sex, or her using him, or a one night stand, even it does start out as some sort of comfort thing, which it might just as well not.
        There are a lot of shows with girl/bad boy/good boy triangles (not very fond of love triangles in general, they can only result in angry fans, no matter which way they go, but too late for that). I wish one would do something unpredictable like go with the bad boy all the way, not just for a fling. If they do have a romance, that doesn’t mean he’ll become a love prop. There isn’t much they can do with a single Hobbes that they can’t do with a hooked-up Hobbes. I’d love to see a back-story for him, for example

The Hobbes/Marcus plot sounded good last season. Hobbes was more of an outsider to the group, and he was blackmailed into joining, so he wasn’t completely one of the good guys. Now he’s devoted to the Resistance and he’s bonding with Erica a lot and a little with the rest, so him working for Marcus would just be a painful betrayal and the character would have to go to extreme lengths to redeem himself. All of my favorite characters seem to be dropping like flies, I don’t want this to happen to Hobbes too. And the Resistance needs him, he kicks ass, he’s military, he knows about explosives, he knows a lot of shady and useful people, he urges them to take action against the V’s, he helps with the hard calls. I’d love to see him tell Marcus that he doesn’t believe him and where to _ _ _ _ _ it.

I was really excited about Sarah too, because I want another woman to join the Resistance, but not like this. Even if Erica and Kyle never have a romance, since she trusts him now and if he betrays her, I’ll never buy that there is no jealousy/ resentment/ suspicion between Erica and Sarah. And we already seem to have a lot of that going around in the Resistance group.

The show does need heart, and to me, that means sympathy for the heroes and loving to hate the villains .The reason people watch this type of show is usually because they want to see the good guys kick the bad guy’s behinds. Building up friendship, trust, loyalty between the good guys instead of suspicion would help a lot with the first part.
        Last edited by Alia; 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Strykez!
          I like Father Jack. But I feel he is too weak and naive to really match the raw energy of Erica.
          Don't forget that Jack served two tours in Iraq, has shot guns in this show, and has done his share of fighting, like during the raid in the warehouse. I wouldn't call him weak, by any stretch of the imagination.

Erica may have raw energy, but Jack matches her in how they both feel about how to handle their actions and how they shouldn't be like the Vs in how they fight.

Kyle, on the other hand, is a bad boy, tough, ruthless and with a small conscience. Erica also is a bad girl, tough, a little ruthless, but she has a huge care factor for the welfare of others. This makes her the perfect match for Kyle and they look good together.
          You can ship who you want, but personally, I'm never one to ship two characters together because they "look good together". I care more about how they interact, how they feel about each other, and how they fill a gap in each other's lives than their looks because when I think about my favorite couples on TV, it never starts off with "OMG, they look hot together". I'd actually be careful about doing that, honestly, because in my experience, doing that with shows like Friends (Joey/Rachel) and LOST (Sawyer/Kate), it never works out. I'd rather pay attention to the story and how the characters are written. That's usually your indicator.

Putting them together reminds me of Donovon and Julie from the original V series.
          I disagree.

Kyle Hobbes is more of a Ham Tyler archetype, who likes to blow crap up and even though he seems like a scruffy guy who doesn't care about anyone, he has a heart underneath that tough exterior.

And, Ham Tyler doesn't end up with Julie Parrish. Of course, if you wanna get technical about it, neither does Mike Donovan.

Hobbes and Erica, should they hook up (which I'm not saying won't happen; it's a total possibility) remind me more of Sawyer and Kate on LOST than Mike and Julie. They were both con artists who looked "hot together", but ultimately, were not meant to be together.

I'm still more into Jack and Erica because throughout Season 1, they were part of the heart of the show for me. The show made a big deal out of trust in a relationship in "John May" and in "There's No Normal Anymore", Erica says that Jack is the only one she can trust. Erica can talk about things with Jack that she won't share with anyone else. They've already established a very high level of intimacy, just within their friendship.

Their ability to care about humanity and try to do right in how they fought make them more matched for each other in my eyes. The scene that sticks out to me the most was when Jack asks Erica where she stood on the situation in "Hearts and Minds", she said "with you". And, that reminded me a lot of Jack and Kate from LOST when Jack asks Kate "Are you with me?" and she replies, "I have always been with you". And, Jack and Kate end up together...forever. Literally.

Sorry for all the LOST comparisons, but I do see them. I see them more than the comparisons of Hobbes and Erica to Mike and Julie. Heck, since Scott Rosenbaum came to V from Chuck, I even see Hobbes as more like John Casey and well, Casey and Sarah don't hook up.
          Last edited by savingpeoplething; 01-17-2011, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savingpeoplething
            Don't forget that Jack served two tours in Iraq, has shot guns in this show, and has done his share of fighting, like during the raid in the warehouse. I wouldn't call him weak, by any stretch of the imagination.

Erica may have raw energy, but Jack matches her in how they both feel about how to handle their actions and how they shouldn't be like the Vs in how they fight.
            That's true. But I see Jack annoying Erica in the end. There was a lot of that in the first season. He's a very sensitive guy and that's an endearing quality. They had some interesting moments to be sure. The boxing scene for example. And of course, when Erica was going up to the ship for dinner with Anna, Jack was clearly showing his emotions...he truly cares about her. And I think he may even be falling in love with her. In that sense he reminds me of Donovon. But remember the look that Erica gave him over her shoulder as she went up the stairs? She was like, "Boy, I've got this. I can take care of myself."

I think she'd eventually chafe under Jack's loving attention. But what it will make for is interesting television, if something DOES happen between Erica and Hobbes. How will Jack deal with that? And, in the end, will Erica finally realize he's the one for her as a...dare I say it...SOULmate?

You can ship who you want, but personally, I'm never one to ship two characters together because they "look good together". I care more about how they interact, how they feel about each other, and how they fill a gap in each other's lives than their looks because when I think about my favorite couples on TV, it never starts off with "OMG, they look hot together". I'd actually be careful about doing that, honestly, because in my experience, doing that with shows like Friends (Joey/Rachel) and LOST (Sawyer/Kate), it never works out. I'd rather pay attention to the story and how the characters are written. That's usually your indicator.
            Oh, it's definitely more than them looking good together. I agree with you.

However, that IS an important element for a show centered around two characters who are in love with eachother. For example, in Hart To Hart, the power couple there had a certain sexual chemistry that was very palatable. Beyond personality characteristics linking up (as you pointed out above) the audience has to enjoy watching them together too to get vested in them.

Dating a tall, hot, rugged bad boy is appealing for a character like Erica's. Somehow, Erica dating a priest is just...not quite as hot to me. LOL

I disagree.

Kyle Hobbes is more of a Ham Tyler archetype, who likes to blow crap up and even though he seems like a scruffy guy who doesn't care about anyone, he has a heart underneath that tough exterior.

And, Ham Tyler doesn't end up with Julie Parrish. Of course, if you wanna get technical about it, neither does Mike Donovan.
            True. Kyle is definitely in the vein of Ham Tyler. But to me, he is the closest cover for Donovon out of the entire cast. At least more so than Jack. Jack is still holding back and dealing with his conscience. I think if he finally decides to fight this thing with no holds barred (and loses that ugly brown bomber jacket he's worn for 2 years straight now! LOL) he might be more appealing as a companion and equal for Erica. Until then, he's going to be the "nice guys finishes last" in comparison to Hobbes for audiences. And I hate the way he's being set up that way...

Maybe it's the priest exterior that's a turn-off to me. Like it's somehow...unholy for Erica to get involved with him, ya know? He's off limits! LOL

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Alia
            II’d love it if Hobbes met Tyler, too. He already has 3 overprotective, motherly figures: Erica, Lisa (she’s his girlfriend, but she acts pretty protective) and Anna (she doesn’t mean well, but she needs him and fakes it). He could really use someone to stop treating him like a child and tell him the hard truth. That’s the only way his character will be able to develop
            Yeah, Tyler definitely needs a strong father figure. That's a great thought.

See, this is why this show needs to go on. There is SOOOO much they could do with these characters if given the time.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by shadow08
            I think it will be a meaningless one-night-stand or a casual sex relationship. In light of Erica getting darker, I could even see some story play out where she repeatedly uses him for sex and I hate to think that the writers will probably devalue her character for meaningless junk like this.
            O_o

Ehn....?? What?
            Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I see Jack annoying Erica in the end.
              I respect your opinion on that, but I don't see it. If anything, Erica likes having someone to confide in. She's been able to share things with him that she can't with anyone else. They've referred to each other as friends. I don't see how she's annoyed by Jack right now, but of course, it may happen in the future. We'll have to see.

remember the look that Erica gave him over her shoulder as she went up the stairs? She was like, "Boy, I've got this. I can take care of myself."
              I have no problem with Jack caring about her and Erica being confident in herself. It's when he or she stops caring that I'd have a problem with.

what it will make for is interesting television, if something DOES happen between Erica and Hobbes. How will Jack deal with that? And, in the end, will Erica finally realize he's the one for her as a...dare I say it...SOULmate?
              I can see a situation where there might be something between Hobbes and Erica that makes Jack realize his feelings (again, this happened on LOST, heh), but I don't think (to bring it back around to the subject of this thread) that makes Hobbes and Erica the Mike and Julie of the series.

However, that IS an important element for a show centered around two characters who are in love with eachother. For example, in Hart To Hart, the power couple there had a certain sexual chemistry that was very palatable.
              Foxy Boxing in "Hearts and Minds" didn't do it for ya, with all the literal and metaphorical grunting and sweating?

Dating a tall, hot, rugged bad boy is appealing for a character like Erica's.
              See? I disagree.

Erica fell in love with and was once married to Joe, who is a good guy. A man who works in construction, wears flannel, and is a good father to Tyler. Sure, he talks motorcycles, but you can be a "good guy" and ride a motorcyle. Things went south when Joe thought she cheated on him because of the blood tests, but that doesn't change who Joe is.

Also, Mike Donovan wasn't a "rugged bad boy", either. He started off as a guy who shot news video of war-affected areas. He was such a do-gooder that Ham Tyler actually nicknames him "gooder". Doesn't sound like Hobbes to me.

In fact, it sounds like Jack.

A guy who was in wars, but wasn't exactly a soldier? Jack and Donovan.
              A guy who tries to do the right thing to the point that he might get made fun of or ridiculed for it? Jack and Donovan.

to me, he is the closest cover for Donovon out of the entire cast.
              If we're wanting to get technical about it, I think the closest character to Mike Donovan out of anyone is Erica. Divorcee'. Single parent. Fighting the Visitors to protect her son.

In fact, Erica is the conglomeration of both Mike and Julie, so this thread, you could argue, might be a little moot.

Maybe it's the priest exterior that's a turn-off to me. Like it's somehow...unholy for Erica to get involved with him, ya know? He's off limits!
              Wouldn't it be the same case for Hobbes, though? In "Welcome to the War", Erica refers to Hobbes as "the devil", so if you want to say "unholy", being involved with the devil sounds like it to me.

Yeah, Tyler definitely needs a strong father figure. That's a great thought.
              Like "a father"?
              Oh, it's definitely more than them looking good together. I agree with you.

However, that IS an important element for a show centered around two characters who are in love with eachother.
              I don't disagree, but such as in the case of Mike and Julie from the original V, they had sexual chemistry, but they also had tender moments such as when Mike brings her something to drink and they have a chat on the stairs, with him encouraging her as a leader and it's just the two of them.

I haven't seen anything like that with Hobbes and Erica, but I have with Jack and Erica.
              Last edited by savingpeoplething; 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I don't disagree, but such as in the case of Mike and Julie from the original V, they had sexual chemistry, but they also had tender moments such as when Mike brings her something to drink and they have a chat on the stairs, with him encouraging her as a leader and it's just the two of them.
                I haven't seen anything like that with Hobbes and Erica, but I have with Jack and Erica.

They have a lot of tender moments too.
                • The church scene,
                • ep 7, after the fight with Grace, the way they looked at each other when he helped her up.
                • Ep 6, when he snuk into the FBI headquarters to impress her and she gave him an amused look
                • Red Rain, she was smiling when he joked about killing Sidney
                • Red Rain, after she confided in all of them that she thought she had been experimented on, Hobbes looked really concerned
                • In the warehouse scene he first grabbed her to make sure Malik didn’t see her, but after she realized it was him and settled down, he didn’t let go, and she didn’t demand that he get his hands off her. In fact, she looked kind of comfy They both had to split, but they didn’t do it right away, they hesitated and kep snuggling.Well, that and his “shhhh” made my heart melt.
                • And every time they’re in an unexpected dangerous situation, his first instinct is to protect her. That’s not very mercenary, is it?
                Erica fell in love with and was once married to Joe, who is a good guy. A man who works in construction, wears flannel, and is a good father to Tyler. Sure, he talks motorcycles, but you can be a "good guy" and ride a motorcyle. Things went south when Joe thought she cheated on him because of the blood tests, but that doesn't change who Joe is.
                I agree, Joe reminds me a lot of Jack, but it’s important to add that Joe and Erica didn’t work out, even though they had everything going for them: they married young, they were together for a long time, they had a kid, they loved each other. When things got hard between them (when he found out she might have cheated), he didn’t stick around to sort things out, he just walked away. Jack did the same thing in Hearts and Minds. Even though he and Erica were going through the same thing, he didn’t stay to talk to her, he just stormed out. And the fact that he had to ask “where are you on this”, even though he knew she wasn’t ok with blowing up the shuttle, goes to show that he doesn’t completely trust her either

Wouldn't it be the same case for Hobbes, though? In "Welcome to the War", Erica refers to Hobbes as "the devil", so if you want to say "unholy", being involved with the devil sounds like it to me.

Hobbes wasn’t always a hitman. He served in the British Special Air Service (SAS), fighting for a good cause. So at one point in his life he was exactly like Erica. I don’t know where the series is going, and I’m sure Hobbes will always be the most extreme/detatched/ruthless member of the group, but in the last 2 episodes, it looked like he’s starting to slip back into his old persona. He had a chance to kill Malik. He didn’t know she was a V, so she wasn’t an immediate threat, but he did know she was a fed. It would have made his life all the more complicated if he was linked to the suicide bombers and his face was plastered all over the news again. He was hesitant to kill someone just for his own personal gain.

That’s probably what they’re going with, though I can see a lot of advantages to Tyler building a bond with Hobbes. At some point he’s bound to find out everyone has been lying to him. I think he could use someone who’s brutally honest, doesn’t treat him like a small child and isn't overprotective. That’s what got Tyler going down a bad path in the first place. And he already has a warm, compassionate, overprotective parent in Erica.

Hobbes and Erica, should they hook up (which I'm not saying won't happen; it's a total possibility) remind me more of Sawyer and Kate on LOST than Mike and Julie.

Maybe it’s because I saw V before I started watching Lost and I’m biased, but I don’t see any similarities between Erica and Kate.
                Since you mentioned Sawyer, he started out as more of a devil that Hobbes did, and he changed over the course of the series. Not that I ever want to see Hobbes sniff a flower, but both Erica and Hobbes are bound to change a little too and trust between 2 characters can be built as well

To me Donovan is Erica and Sidney is Julie (college, doctor-scientist, sweet, innocent) at the implications of that comparison.

Last edited by Alia; 01-18-2011, 06:04 PM. Reason: Breaking Forum Rule #10; abuse of emoticons

Comment

I don't like Erica and Hobbes. I didn't even know his name was kyle lol. I can't even compare any of this to Lost, it just makes me sad. I mean LOST is freaking LOST. To me it's hands down the best show that's ever been on TV. V is just blah. I mean it's something to watch, but by no means am I invested.

Comment

I am addicted to Erica/Hobbes ship (I named it Herica).
                    Maybe Hobbes is The Man she was meant for ! Joe left her after the DNA tests related to Tyler, but nothing tells us if he really was and is still in love with her. Maybe their couple was strong enough to survive to this trial.
                    Maybe Jack can be tender with Erica, but 1. he is still a priest (ok, some priest got married) 2. it looks like more like a friendship than love relationship.
                    Hobbes and Erica have a lot in common : their past (contains spoilers won't say anything more) and their willing to upset this huge challenge that Visitors are and certainly a very different point of view (realism for Hobbes and morals for Erica). They have people that they care a lot for who are "hostages" of the Visitors: Tyler for Erica and "female on the picture" for Hobbes. Despite this soldier side we all see in Hobbes, I feel that there's a lot of pain in himself, I'm convinced he has a heart and this appearance is just a wall (hand on Erica face in 2x03, huge sexual tension not necessarily meaning short term relationship). Hope writers will explore that!

Comment

Erica is more like Mike Donovan, while Kyle is like Ham Tyler. I don't see these two becoming lovers.

Comment

I agree about Erica being Mike Donovan and Hobbes being Ham Tyler. But I know that Fay Grant wanted Julie and Ham being together, wasn't done.

Comment

One of my big issues with Erica/Hobbes is that they have no depth. Hobbes' character has been on the show for 13 episodes now and I am still waiting for them to have a meaningful conversation. All they have are those quick physical scenes where they touch each other and it mostly comes from Hobbes' side, which is why I am fairly sure that an Erica/Hobbes hook up would be just that: A hook up. And it would probably be very random too. The writers are clearly intending to write an Erica/Jack romance IMO. They are giving them all the deep and meaningful scenes and I expect the character to be depriested a couple of episodes from now. I also think that Erica still loves Joe, but that obstacle will probably be removed fairly soon.
                          Last edited by shadow08; 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Father Jack's character is beginning to annoy me. He's too sensitive. Keep think he's going to burst into tears.

Hobbes and Erica - would be great chemistry. In essence, if Father Jack was killed off - would we really notice? is he is role important at all anymore, for me, his character has become non-required.

Comment

Erica has way too many ships if you ask me. There's the ex. And there's Jack. And Hobbes. Heck, we could even throw in Joshua, if she's into that sorta thing o.O

Personally, I like how they aren't focusing on shipping, exception being Lisa+Tyler, which is more or less a psudo-relationship by now.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎