No announcement yet.

The Ripple Effect

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 3

The rain poured down so heavily Tess could barely see her feet as she walked along the side of the road. She was soaked through to the bone and her teeth wouldn’t stop chattering. A humourless laugh escaped her lips; she couldn’t help but notice the similarity between the weather and her mood. “Just my luck,” she looked up to the sky. “What else are you going to do to me, huh?”

She saw the reflection of headlights through the rain but didn’t hold out her hand in the universal hitchhikers’ signal. She’d heard too many horror stories about what happened to hitchhikers. Tess hugged herself to retain what little warmth she had. Through the pounding of the rain she heard the screech of brakes and a car door slam.

“Tess!” Kal-El yelled. No, Tess corrected herself, his name is Clark. “Stop!”

She ignored him, hunched forward and kept on walking. Stopping to dwell on what could have been wouldn’t help her.

“Stop!” He called out, desperation in his voice.

She deliberately focused her eyes forward, not daring to look back. She didn’t see a shadowy figure stop a metre in front of her and slammed right into him. “What the hell?” Tess peered through her mass of wet hair to see Clark Kent in front of her. “Leave alone.” She pushed past him. “Go back to your life.”

“Tess…”

“No,” She whirled around to face him, her eyes glaring angrily. “You lied to me Kal-El or Clark or whatever your name is. I can’t believe I was that stupid.”

“I didn’t lie.”

“You said you were an alien from a destroyed planet named Krypton. I’m pretty sure that was a lies Considering your mother is a farmer’s wife.”

“I’m adopted.” Clark took a step towards. “Tess, get in the truck. I promise I’ll explain everything when you’re warm.”

Tess rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I expect that’s what every kidnapper says when they pick a girl up off the side of the road.”
    “Tess. I won’t hurt you,” Clark promised. “Just give me a chance to explain.”

“Why should I give you another chance? You lied to me. I don’t even know what state I’m in now because of you. All of my things are in a car god knows where because I was stupid enough to trust the alien that appeared in flash of light.” She yelled at him, waving her arms around like a crazy woman. “You don’t get a chance to explain Clark Kent. You’ve used up all your chances.”

“I’ll take you to your car.” Clark blurted out suddenly. He was desperate for a chance to explain what happened to the woman that had helped him.

“I can take the bus.”

“5 dollars isn’t going to be enough to get from Smallville to Florida,” Clark told her.

She looked at him suspiciously. “How did you know how much money I had?”

“I ah have X-ray vision,” Clark stammered. He knew that wasn’t going to go down well.

She folded her arms defensively across her chest. “And you’re just telling me this now?”

“It’s not like I use it for that!”

“Whatever,” Tess started walking again.

“I am Kal-El!” Clark yelled after her. “I don’t remember Krypton. I don’t even remember all of yesterday.”

“Telling a girl you don’t remember her isn’t going to make her stay,” Tess retorted knowing Clark would hear it over the sound of the rain.

Clark blushed then started to follow her. “I didn’t mean it like that. I’m trying to explain: I wasn’t myself yesterday. I didn’t know I was Clark. I forgot about my life here. I don’t know what happen. Maybe it was the crystal. I don’t know.”

She turned around again. “You really expect me to believe that a rock made you get amnesia and then turned you in an emotionless robot?”

“It’s Smallville,” Clark said as if that explained everything. “Look, my mother is in the car if you don’t believe me. She’ll tell you everything.”

Tess took an uncertain step towards him. “And why would you tell me this? If you really are an alien, you’re risking a lot my telling me your name. What’s to stop me from going to the police about you? They’ll lock you up like a lab rat.”

“I trust you,”’ He said simply. “You helped me when I was a stranger to you. You won’t tell anyone. Please Tess, let me help you.”

Tess weighed up the options. Going with him wasn’t the safest option but walking miles to the next town in the pouring rain wasn’t safe either. She sighed. Why did her life have to be so hard? “Fine. One condition: you take me to my car in the morning.”

Clark smiled, “Yes. Let’s get you warm. Your lips are turning blue.”

Tess wiggled closer to the fire, feeling the heat on her skin. She smiled into the flickering light. This was much better than walking through the rain.

“So where are you from, Tess?” Martha asked, taking a sip of tea. She was curious about the girl her son had demanded she bring home. The girl had barely spoken since Clark practically lifted her up into the truck.

“Originally Louisiana but I’ve been at Harvard on and off for the last couple of years,” Tess answered, turning her head to look at the older woman. “I’m a marine biologist. I go wherever I can get the research grant.”

“You were on the beach when you met Clark, right?”

Tess nodded. “Yes. He just appeared out of nowhere. Freaked me out a bit.”

“I can imagine. First time I met Clark was when he lifted up the truck after it had rolled over during the meteor shower. He was three at the time.” Martha smiled absently at the memory.

“He’s lucky you found him,” Tess commented softly as she looked up to the mantelpiece where family photos were proudly displayed. A pang of jealousy hit her as she looked at the smiling, happy faces. That was something she’d never had.

“We didn’t find him. He found us,” Martha noticed Tess’ longing stare. “Do you want to call your parents? I’m sure they’d be worried about you.”

Tess shook her head slowly, her eyes downcast.

“I’m sorry,” Martha didn’t know what else to say.

“It’s ok. I’m used to it,” She gave a little shrug and reached for her mug of homemade soup. “You’re an amazing cook Mrs Kent.”

“I’ve had a lot of practice,” Martha replied modestly but a smile played on her lips. “Do you cook?”

“Mum, leave her alone,” Clark walked back into the room, shrugging a shirt on. “She’s tired.”

“Clark, it’s fine,” Tess looked up at him, a little annoyed at his interruption. “Your mother is a pleasure to talk to.”

Martha stood up, “No Clark is right. You two have a long day tomorrow. Where do you have to drive again?”

“Drive? Can’t Clark just fly me to Florida?”

“Fly?” Clark’s jaw dropped. “I flew?” His voice rose a few octaves in disbelief. “I can fly?”

Tess nodded slowly, not understanding why he was reacting like this. “Yes. Don’t you do that normally?”

“Clark has never flown,” Martha sat back down. “He’s scared of heights.”

“You seriously can’t fly?” Tess asked, shocked. “You acted like it was the same as walking for you.”

“I tried to tell you – that was Kal-El,” Clark answered quickly. “We’re not entirely the same person. I don’t remember flying at all.”

“What do you remember then?’ She quizzed, attempting to make sense of what was proving to be an illogical day.

“I remember meeting you. Kinda. It’s a bit fuzzy. There was something about you thinking you were going crazy?” He looked at her for conformation.

She blushed and nodded, “Close enough.”

“And needing to get the crystal. I don’t know how we got to that room though.”

“It was a plane.” She watched his eyes widen in surprise. “Lex Luthor’s plane,” She added a moment later to give him time to digest the information.

“Clark high jacked Lex’s plane?” Martha asked in disbelief.

“You know Luthor?” It was Tess’ turn to look shocked.

“We’re friends,” Clark explained absently. “Did I hurt him?”

“I don’t think so,” Tess mentally went through what had happened. “He was unconscious before you ripped the door open. I don’t know why.”

“As long as I didn’t hurt him,” Clark closed his eyes, looking relieved.

A silence descended upon them and was only broken when Martha stood. “Well, I think we all need time to recover. I’ll see you in the morning Tess. Feel free to help yourself to the kitchen. Clark does it all the time,” She smiled knowingly at her son.

“I do not,” Clark retorted. “How did you know?”

“A mother always knows,” Martha replied as she trudged up the stairs.

Tess smiled at their interaction. It was like the typical American family. “You’re lucky they found you.” She laid back on the made up bed on the sofa.

“I know,” Clark gave her a strange look. He could see the pain in her eyes. “I’ll, ah, see you tomorrow then.”

“Goodnight,” Tess pulled up the quilt around her as Clark turned out the light.

A/N: yeah... it's horrible but some of that stuff had to be said for the plot to continue.

Comment

Its fine.. I really enjoyed this chapter.. and I get how you sometimes have to do scene's to move the plot along. PPMS!!

Comment

good start

Comment

yes. good more.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mercy_Mermaid
            yeah... it's horrible but some of that stuff had to be said for the plot to continue.
            It's not! I really like that chapter. PPMS!

Comment

I love it, and I really, really need more Update? Pretty please?

Comment

wow... im sooo loving this story... cant wait for more

Comment

mercy where are youuuuuuuuuuuu????????????????????????????????

Comment

Hey Mercy, I'm keeping an eye on this story, desperate for an update (that's me, drooling) ... it would be so great to have some Cless right about now. Hope you can stop by with an update for this awesomness soon

Comment

Hey hun.. I'm waiting.. love this btw! *has made you a fav author on ff.net*

Comment

Originally posted by needtheanswers
                        Hey Mercy, I'm keeping an eye on this story, desperate for an update (that's me, drooling) ... it would be so great to have some Cless right about now. Hope you can stop by with an update for this awesomness soon
                        ITA. Loved that last chapter and the interactions between Tess, Clark, and Martha. Please post more.

Comment

Ok, so how many of you guys hate me right now? I'm so sorry I've stopped updating, well disappeared would probably be a better discription. This is my final year of school and I honestly think the workload I have is supposed to make up for the lack of school for the next 50 years. It's insane. So I haven't been writing much.
                          I have tried to keep going with this story but I can't. Writer's block is a pain. And unfortunatly I haven't been able to make it through an episode of Smallville (except for Fortune. Oliver in drag. Tess singing. Emil as Elvis *fangirlly sigh of happiness*) because for some reason -don't hate me for saying this- Lois is really annoying me at the moment. And since she's basically in half the episodes now, I can't watch the whole episodes.

I've had a few ideas though but not the time to write them out. What would you prefer, a few short one shots or an iregularly updated story? (But not this one. Ripple Effect is dead in the water unfortunately.)

So please don't hate me... Pretty please.
                          -Mercy

Comment

Originally posted by Mercy_Mermaid
                            Ok, so how many of you guys hate me right now? I'm so sorry I've stopped updating, well disappeared would probably be a better discription. This is my final year of school and I honestly think the workload I have is supposed to make up for the lack of school for the next 50 years. It's insane. So I haven't been writing much.
                            I have tried to keep going with this story but I can't. Writer's block is a pain. And unfortunatly I haven't been able to make it through an episode of Smallville (except for Fortune. Oliver in drag. Tess singing. Emil as Elvis *fangirlly sigh of happiness*) because for some reason -don't hate me for saying this- Lois is really annoying me at the moment. And since she's basically in half the episodes now, I can't watch the whole episodes.

I've had a few ideas though but not the time to write them out. What would you prefer, a few short one shots or an iregularly updated story? (But not this one. Ripple Effect is dead in the water unfortunately.)

So please don't hate me... Pretty please.
                            -Mercy
                            Hate you, nah... *goes and finds her BB gun*

I understand, school can be a pain, but that's where your priorities lie. However, not watching Smallville, shame on you! Althought, I do agree with you on Lois, she has been annoying this season. Anyways, I'm sorry to hear that you'll be dropping this story, I really liked it alot. I wouldn't mind one shots, it's better than nothing. I liked what you were doing with "Growing Up Luthor" with the one shots, and I would love if you could continue with that story. It has so much promise. Nice hearing from you again though. It shows that you're still alive.

Comment

Hate you, nah... *goes and finds her BB gun*
                              *ducks* What is a BB gun?

Comment

A BB gun is a air gun that shoots tiny little metal balls. Did you ever see the movie "A Christmas Story"?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎