Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jessica Jones (Netflix, formerly in development for ABC)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica Jones (Netflix, formerly in development for ABC)

Variety is reporting a TV series based on Marvel Comics' Alias comic which featured Jessica Jones. Here are some details:

What does everyone think?

I think it's very cool, though I wish she was a supporting character in a Power Man & Iron Fist show. I also wish they had a better title than "AKA Jessica Jones." I understand why "Alias" would be taken though

Sounds like it could be good though I know nothing about the character except what youve posted on ksite.

Comment

Here are some details about Jessica from her Wikipedia page.

She's also famous for (I think) being the first Marvel heroine to use the F-word. (Yes, THAT F-word).

---

Jessica Campbell Jones Cage is a fictional character in the Marvel Comics universe, created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Michael Gaydos. Jones debuted in the series Alias as an embittered former superheroine who had used the aliases Jewel and Knightress. As she did not exist in the Marvel Universe prior to being created for the Alias series, she is a retcon character. After hanging up her costume, she became the owner and sole employee of Alias Private Investigations.

Publication history

Jessica Jones debuted in the Marvel MAX-imprint series Alias, which bears no relation to the TV program of the same name. The character and series were created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Michael Gaydos. Alias ran for 28 issues from 2001 to 2004, with most covers drawn by David W. Mack. Jones and other characters from the series moved to Bendis' subsequent series, The Pulse.

In a 2005 interview, Bendis claimed that "originally, Alias was going to star Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman), but it became something else entirely. Which is good, because had we used Jessica it would have been off continuity and bad storytelling". Previously, Bendis commented, "I was at one time toying with doing Jessica Drew [in Alias] because she has the best hair of any superhero in comics, but this book is entirely different than what that idea was to be." Although both statements make clear that Drew was a part of Bendis' earliest conception of Alias, by the time he was actively developing the title, Jones was his central character, one with a distinct background and voice from Drew. Despite this, the character draws much from Drew, in terms of character history and experiences, and also has some similarities with the character of Carol Danvers; in some respects, she is something of a pastiche of the two women.

In a Marvel Comics podcast Bendis expressed his desire to incorporate Jones into the parallel universe Ultimate Marvel imprint. In Ultimate Spider-Man #106 she appears as a senior at Peter Parker's school.

Fictional character biography
      Origin

Introduced in the Marvel Universe as a retcon character, Midtown High student Jessica Campbell was present when Peter Parker was bitten by the irradiated spider that gave him his powers. She had a crush on him, and had just plucked up the courage to speak to him when he was distracted by the bite. She also had a celebrity crush on teen heart-throb Johnny Storm.

Soon thereafter, Jessica was riding in a car with her family when they collided with a military convoy carrying radioactive chemicals. Her family was killed and, after spending several months in a coma, she was placed in foster care and adopted by the Jones family. Months later she awoke, stirred by the first coming of Galactus outside her hospital room.

Jessica later discovered that the radioactive materials she was exposed to in the accident had granted her super strength, limited invulnerability, and flight (which she never fully mastered during her superhero career). The Joneses re-enrolled Jessica at Midtown High, where she was ostracized by her classmates, especially Flash Thompson. Peter Parker (who had since become Spider-Man) sensed in Jessica a kindred spirit — someone who had also lost family due to a tragic circumstance. Jessica mistook his kind attention and lashed out at him, believing he was merely pitying her. At that time she found out she had superpowers.

Heroic career

As Jewel, Jones was an upstart heroine with a fairly uneventful career until she intervened in a disturbance at a restaurant involving longtime Daredevil foe Zebediah Killgrave, the Purple Man. Killgrave effortlessly placed Jones under his mental control, a situation that would continue for several months. Though she wasn't sexually assaulted herself, Killgrave enslaved and humiliated Jones, forcing her to watch as he raped a succession of college coeds whom he had abducted and mind-controlled for his amusement. Killgrave also forced Jones to beg him to have sex with her, often until she broke down in tears, only to deny her, as a form of psychological abuse. After eight months under his control, Jones began to lose the distinction between his will and her own, developing a kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

In the midst of a temper tantrum, the Purple Man sent Jones to kill Daredevil, erroneously directing her to the Avengers Mansion. Since Daredevil is not an Avenger, Jones attacked the first hero she saw there in a red costume — the Scarlet Witch. The mind-control began to wear off and Jones attempted to flee, but she was caught and received a severe beating at the hands of the Vision (the Scarlet Witch's then-husband), and Iron Man. She escaped death due to the intervention of the only Avenger who actually knew her, Carol Danvers, who took her to safety.

Jones remained in a coma for months, under the care of S.H.I.E.L.D., while also undergoing psychic therapy with Jean Grey of the X-Men. In addition to assisting her emergence from the coma, Grey placed a special mental command in Jones' subconscious that would protect her from further mind control. During this time Jones developed a doomed romantic relationship with S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Clay Quartermain, who would prove to be a valuable friend and contact for her later in life.

The intensely violating nature of her experience with Killgrave, combined with the fact that no one noticed she had been missing for eight months, forced a demoralized Jones to give up being a costumed superhero.

Jones tried being a superhero one final time before giving up, adopting a darker identity as the Knightress. Intercepting a crime meeting between the Owl and a mafioso, she met up with fellow superhero Luke Cage. After defeating the Owl and his goons, she discovered that one of the thugs had brought his children with him. Jones took off her mask and revealed her identity to the cops so that they would allow her to look after the children for the night. Luke Cage went to her home later that night and the two had a long talk, the first step towards a lasting friendship.

Private Eye

Jones, now no longer a superhero, opens a private detective agency, and, given her background, was sought out by clients with superhero connections. Despite her wishes to leave the superhero life, she finds herself repeatedly drawn back into it. Longtime friend Carol Danvers set Jones up with Scott Lang (the second Ant-Man), and the two date for several months. She also had an off-and-on affair with Luke Cage.

Having escaped from high-security incarceration, Killgrave, obsessed with Jones, attempts to break her spirit by making her experience her worst nightmares — that she had walked in on both Lang and Cage in bed with her friend, Danvers. This time, however, the mental defenses Grey had given her allow Jones to free herself from his control. She knocks him out and he is recaptured.

Cage admits his strong feelings for Jones, and she reveals to Luke that she is pregnant with their child; he is elated and the two enter into a committed relationship.

The Pulse

Jones takes a leave from the detective business and joins the staff of the Daily Bugle as a superhero correspondent and consultant, becoming a main character of the comic book The Pulse, and a contributor to the same-name fictional newspaper supplement within. A pregnant Jones is attacked by the Green Goblin after the Bugle reports that he is secretly industrialist Norman Osborn. In response, Cage retaliates and Osborn is irrevocably exposed as the Goblin upon his defeat and incarceration. Jones quits her job with the Bugle after publisher J. Jonah Jameson uses the paper to smear the New Avengers. Jones extracts payback by refusing the Bugle exclusive rights to cover her daughter's birth.

Jones and Cage are living together when she gives birth to their child, Danielle, whom they name after Luke's best friend, Danny Rand (a.k.a. Iron Fist). Cage proposes marriage, and Jones accepts. The two are married in New Avengers Annual #1. Jones retained her maiden name.

Civil War

In Marvel's cross-over Civil War, Jones and Cage are confronted by Iron Man and Ms. Marvel, who urge them to register with the authorities under the provisions of the Superhuman Registration Act. When asked if they intend to sign up, neither actually says "no," though they make their intentions to defy the law very clear, with Luke going so far as to compare the Act to slavery and Jim Crow segregation. In order to keep their child safe, Jones travels with her to Canada, while Luke stays in their home in Harlem. Having eluded the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents dispatched to apprehend him, Cage joins Captain America's "Secret Avengers." Despite the surrender of Captain America at the conclusion of the Civil War crossover, Cage remains underground as leader of the New Avengers.

Post-Civil War

At the end of New Avengers #31, Elektra is killed and is revealed to have been a Skrull. In the next scene, unbeknownst to Jones, her baby's eyes flash yellow-green. Later, following an attack on Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum by the forces of the demonic villain the Hood, Jones, shaken by the experience and desperate to protect her child, leaves the New Avengers and goes with her baby to Stark Tower, to register under the Superhuman Registration Act, effectively ending her relationship with Luke Cage for the time being.

Secret Invasion

Jones is among the heroes who emerged from the crashed Skrull ship wearing her Jewel costume. The group of emerging heroes believe themselves to be the real ones, however it was shown that some of the group were Skrulls. This Jones, dressed as Jewel, is later revealed to be a Skrull.[10] The real Jessica Jones however, appeared in Secret Invasion #7, where she joined in the heroes fight against the Skrulls and was able to be reunited with her husband. After the Skrull surrender, the Skrull impersonating Jarvis disappears with their daughter, leaving Jessica desperate.

Dark Reign

Jessica, Luke, and Carol arrive at Bucky's home. The New Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Iron Fist begin searching for Danielle, attacking various villains, looking for any information regarding the Skrull Jarvis, namely his whereabouts and intentions. Jessica is unaware that Luke asks Norman Osborn for help in their search. Osborn helps Luke recover Danielle, and Luke gives the baby back to Jessica. Spider-Man recently re-revealed himself as Peter Parker to the New Avengers, leaving Jones shocked to see that her former classmate is Spider-Man. She then tells Peter of her former crush on him only to find out that he did not recognize her all this time, let alone remember her name, only remembering her as "coma girl", upsetting her. Jessica revealed it was a fight with Spider-Man and Sandman that convinced her to become a superheroine and become something she would be proud to tell her daughter. Peter then tries to convince Jones to return to the life of a superhero. She later takes his advice and assists the Avengers in rescuing Clint after being captured by Norman Osborn.

Powers and abilities

As a result of the chemical spill, Jessica Jones possesses superhuman strength and resistance to injury and the ability to fly at sub-sonic speeds. The exact limits of her strength and durability have not been defined, but she was able to lift a two-ton police car with apparent ease. She was not able to fully withstand a Venom Blast from Jessica Drew, nor a severe beating by Iron Man and the Vision.

Jessica was vulnerable to telepathic attack which led to her ordeal at the hands of the Purple Man until mental barriers were put in place by Jean Grey to grant her better resistance.

In addition to her superhuman powers, Jessica is a skilled detective and investigative journalist.

Comment

How would this series effect the movies that will becoming out including the Spider-man Reboot and the Avengers? Will there be a restriction on using these characters in the series.

I just want to see them go for it without having all these issues like Smallville. If the series is free to go where it pleases, it could have great potential.

Comment

There might be restrictions, but the great thing about Jessica - especially in the Alias days - is she never really hung out with the "big guns" anymore. Yeah, she was friends with the Avengers back in the day, but these days, the best she could do would be Luke Cage, Scott Lang/Ant-Man, and the Mattie Franklin Spider-Woman. She was washed-up, and her hero career was mostly forgotten.

Comment

The series needs a better title for sure...it just sounds so odd right now.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Something like..."The Jessica Jones Chronicles" or "The Chronicles of Jessica Jones".
            Last edited by darkphoenix21; 12-17-2010, 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Chronicles takes me back too much to the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Pulse, which was the title of her second comic series, might work, though it doesn't really describe her. Too bad "Alias Investigations" isn't different enough from the other "Alias."

Comment

I think Jessica Jones would work better as a title. I'm unsure about this, I love Melissa's work, Twilight has a hreat script but bad acting, I watch for that but I was more looking forward to the Clock and Dagger series more. Also a Daredevil series would of been better, but I think Fox owns DD.
                Last edited by LexGossip; 12-18-2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I think 'Alter Ego' (Which was brought as a possible title on CBM) would be a good title for a Jessica Jones series.

'aka Jessica Jones' could also work as a title as well.

I wonder who they will cast as Jessica Jones. Eliza Dushku would be awesome choice IMO.
                  Last edited by Degobunny; 12-20-2010, 07:28 AM. Reason: Do not link to sites that are replaced by asterisks or censored

Comment

I'm wondering if there was a copyright reason Alter Ego wouldn't work. Since that's what was talked about for so long.

Comment

What's the status of this series? Just curious cause I was just looking through the KSite TV stuff and it was listed on, Shows A-F.

Comment

Nothing more has been said about it for a while... guess it's still in development, if anything.

Now that she has no job, I think Elizabeth Mitchell would be an excellent Jessica Jones. Even though she's not a brunette, she could easily be one.

Comment

It's probably dead they just haven't mentioned it. I have so many more characters I think Marvel should use before her, like Moon Knight, Heroes For Hire, Shang Chi, Ant-Man, Punisher and others I can't think of.

Comment

Jeph Loeb updates fans on Marvel TV developments, including projects for Jessica Jones, Hulk, Cloak & Dagger, and Mockingbird.

So, Carol's going to be in this one. Would much rather see her in her own TV show.

Comment

I like Carol as part of Jessica Jones...I really hope this show has a 'heroes for hire' vibe to it. The problem with trying to have a show about Carol Danvers is that her arch foe is Mystique, who is tied up with the X-Men which Fox has exclusive live action rights to at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎