Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're halfway through the season. Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing:

Lazarus was promising, and I was actually one of the few that liked Supergirl. For me however -with the exception of Homecoming, which I thought was great - this season has been a disappointment.

Why?

1) Too many storylines...just focus on one big baddie. You don't have the budget, or the time to pull off too many baddies. One baddie brings focus - too many brings a watered down story, and the result is many things being forced into offscreenville.

2) This should be about Clark becoming Superman, but instead, it looks many times that Clark is learning all his lessons from others. To me, the idea of Superman is that HE inspires others, not really the other way around. Personally, I am sick and tired of Clark having to come to others and admit that he was wrong about this or that. Once or twice is fine, but too much and it becomes nauseating. I love the fact that Lois is who she is in this show, but the fact that he needs her to elevate him to the next level is just - well it just doesn't sit well with me, and IMO, it has affected their dynamic. I have always preferred that Lois is the one who helps him out of his isolation - not the one who helps him fashion his hero image. He should have that down pat...

3) Clark and Lois seem more friends than intimates - is it just me that thinks some of the emotional tension between them has dissipated in the last few episodes? Their relationship seems unbalanced - Lois worships the ground he walks on, and Clark just sits there looking comfortable, like he's wearing his favorite pair of slippers. Too often he has to tell us how he feels about her - exposition anyone? Convince me about how you feel through your actions. A simple pained expression can say much more than some trite shower of rose petals.

4) Clark is not as involved in the action as others seem to be this year. Having Hawkman fight Deathstroke/John McCain and then be the one to save Lois did it for me. Clark is the one who should have saved them both and fought the baddie. I would have preferred that as Lois and Hawkman are both falling to earth, Clark manages to get them both before they hit the ground. Instead, Clark is once again relegated to spectator, and a helpless one at that. Whenever he does get involved, he is subdued by green K.

5) Clark only seems to have one or two powers this year - superspeed, and an occasional dose of freeze breath. He's the baddest man on the planet, and we just get a bunch of Flash-like blurs? Aside from the Daily Planet save - which was all sorts of awesome - what else has there been? Anything memorable aside from blurs? The helicopter scene in Homecoming was great and all, but all he really did was pull it back off the ledge. I know - nitpicking - but it wasn't super exciting - merely nostalgic.

6) Too much JLA - enough with the JLA - this is about Clark becoming Superman, not the formation of the JLA...nuff said about that

I'm sure there are other reasons why I am disappointed overall, but this is what I could think of now...

Comment

Many are in agreement that we're not seeing enough development of the true arc of Clark into Superman. I think they're writing it to be subtle so far. More psychological, than physical. How the relationships, deaths, other universes affect Clark's perceptions and help mold his thinking into that of the Man of Steel. That or just a petri dish full of mold, I'm not sure.....

Comment

Feel the way i did last year during Lost's final season.. Bored.. As if the writers are out on a senior skip day this whole season.. Covered [like someone said] by a cpl kisses and guest stars.. Is this all we get from the last season of a once brilliant show? No surprise the ratings spiked a bit for Lionel's return.. Funnest thing about that is a lot of ppl here panned that episode and said it was worse than "Isis" Really, really?

Comment

While I have enjoyed the season more as a whole than some previous seasons, a lot of the plots feel rushed and I'm not sure how this season will stand up to multiple viewings.

I love the way they progressed the Clois relationship. We've gotten some great, well-acted and directed and written moments for them.

I hate that Jor-El took the suit and Clark still hasn't gotten it back and there's no explanation as to what's going on with that.

Hate the clone Lex arc, because that is not the real Lex and never will be in my books.

I'm undecided about how they're handling Darkseid and 'the darkness' though I think it could make for an interesting second half, if done well.

Unlike some, I really enjoyed the inclusion of more heroes in this week's episode. Part of Clark being Superman is being the leader of the JLA and I think they've shown him being the leader very well this season. Hawkman's death was beautifully done and I think the show did that character justice (pardon the pun) with the mid-season finale.

Oh, and I love that we have very little angst this season. Just Clark working towards becoming Superman, which is excellent.

I'm hoping the second half of the season is tighter than the first half was though. I feel like they spent so much time trying to set up multiple plot lines that this first half was a bit disjointed and a lot of set-up with very little payoff, or even explanation in some places. While setting up bigger plots is a good thing, you still have to have some payoff in 11 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
            Time flies by hey? Anyway, haven't been overwhelmed by the first half of the season. It had its moments(Homecoming and Luthor are my 2 favourite episodes), but overall, I felt that it dealt with many different topics and that made the season feel disjointed. If they manage to tie them together well during the second half, we could be in for a very strong run to the finish line.

I am on the fence about the arcs. I have to say that the VRA arc has been the most intriguing one for me. Darkseid is still a work in progress and I am quite cautious about Lex's arc.

As for the relationships, I am glad for the Clois portion of our fanbase since this season has given them some great moments. And I can't say I will mind if we get more Cless bonding scenes. Plus, over the last few episodes, it's been fun to watch the team work closer together. Finally, my hope is that as the season reaches its climax we will get more focus on Clark and his quest to become Superman.

I can't think back to all first halves right now, but I'd say this is a step up from S9's first half and a step down from S8's first half. However, the second half could have the makings to be one of the best ever.
            This was very nicely said, ITA.

It's sad to me that some people seem so dissapointed - I'm just so happy that we got another season!! IMO, it's my favorite show, and I really don't care what they do, I'm going to keep watching.

I can't help but wonder though, if the dissapointment in some would be less if you didn't know this was the last season. Do you think perhaps it's affecting expectations a bit?

Remember when we all thought there wasn't going to be a 10th season? Remember that dissapointment? I'm so very grateful that my favorite tv show ever has given me 10 seasons.
            Last edited by MissFitHooper; 12-12-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean-El
              I love Offscreenville.

wish i could buy that dvd

Comment

Mostly bored. I can count on one hand the number of episodes thus far that I'd re-watch in their entirety: Shield, Homecoming and Ambush. I'd completely skip Supergirl and probably Harvest, and only re-watch certain scenes in the rest of the episodes. And the promo for the second half of the season didn't exactly have me anticipating the final 11...and considering this show's track record of having a better first half than second half, I'm afraid I'll end up remaining underwhelmed. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFitHooper

It's sad to me that some people seem so dissapointed - I'm just so happy that we got another season!! IMO, it's my favorite show, and I really don't care what they do, I'm going to keep watching.

I can't help but wonder though, if the dissapointment in some would be less if you didn't know this was the last season. Do you think perhaps it's affecting expectations a bit?

Remember when we all thought there wasn't going to be a 10th season? Remember that dissapointment? I'm so very grateful that my favorite tv show ever has given me 10 seasons.
                  I agree and its the only tv show I faithfully watch right how. BUT there is so much more and better things they could have done so far. I hate they can make good episodes like Homecoming and Luthor and then give fillers the rest of the time. WHY, WHY, WHY, they are not needed and did nothing but waste episodes in the very last season. I'm so very disappointed and if I could tell the lame writers directly to their faces I would.
                  There are people on this forum that are more intelligent with story arcs then what we have gotten so far this season and last. Yet they get paid good money to give us crap episodes like Harvest. Really?? I need to see Clark spending more time becoming the man of steel. Enough JLA and slow down on CLOIS. Focus on Clark. There's only 11 epis left. Geez.

Comment

Originally posted by ClubXerxes
                    Disappointing:
                    this season has been a disappointment.

Why?

1) Too many storylines...just focus on one big baddie. You don't have the budget, or the time to pull off too many baddies. One baddie brings focus - too many brings a watered down story, and the result is many things being forced into offscreenville.

2) This should be about Clark becoming Superman, but instead, it looks many times that Clark is learning all his lessons from others. To me, the idea of Superman is that HE inspires others, not really the other way around. Personally, I am sick and tired of Clark having to come to others and admit that he was wrong about this or that. Once or twice is fine, but too much and it becomes nauseating. I love the fact that Lois is who she is in this show, but the fact that he needs her to elevate him to the next level is just - well it just doesn't sit well with me, and IMO, it has affected their dynamic. I have always preferred that Lois is the one who helps him out of his isolation - not the one who helps him fashion his hero image. He should have that down pat...

3) Clark and Lois seem more friends than intimates - is it just me that thinks some of the emotional tension between them has dissipated in the last few episodes? Their relationship seems unbalanced - Lois worships the ground he walks on, and Clark just sits there looking comfortable, like he's wearing his favorite pair of slippers. Too often he has to tell us how he feels about her - exposition anyone? Convince me about how you feel through your actions. A simple pained expression can say much more than some trite shower of rose petals.

4) Clark is not as involved in the action as others seem to be this year. Having Hawkman fight Deathstroke/John McCain and then be the one to save Lois did it for me. Clark is the one who should have saved them both and fought the baddie. I would have preferred that as Lois and Hawkman are both falling to earth, Clark manages to get them both before they hit the ground. Instead, Clark is once again relegated to spectator, and a helpless one at that. Whenever he does get involved, he is subdued by green K.

5) Clark only seems to have one or two powers this year - superspeed, and an occasional dose of freeze breath. He's the baddest man on the planet, and we just get a bunch of Flash-like blurs? Aside from the Daily Planet save - which was all sorts of awesome - what else has there been? Anything memorable aside from blurs? The helicopter scene in Homecoming was great and all, but all he really did was pull it back off the ledge. I know - nitpicking - but it wasn't super exciting - merely nostalgic.

6) Too much JLA - enough with the JLA - this is about Clark becoming Superman, not the formation of the JLA...nuff said about that

I'm sure there are other reasons why I am disappointed overall, but this is what I could think of now...
                    best post ever ITA 100%

Comment

Originally posted by MissFitHooper

Thanks.

Well, I won't lie. Part of me feels that the time has come for the show to end. However, it still doesn't change the fact that I will feel nostalgic next year when I won't have SV to look forward to at the end of the week. It will be hard not to.

If I am not too impressed with the season, it's not because it's the last one and I was expecting better. I want to be fair with the producers. They didn't get the proper budget to build up an awesome final season. They look to be restricted when it comes to the special effects, as well as the cast. Tess is one of my favourite characaters, but I could never imagine she'd be billed 3rd on the final season of Smallville.

Anyway, my hope is that Smallville will break it's usual pattern this year and get stronger as the season goes on. Without a pending annoucement about whether the show will get picked up for another season, they can focus on finishing the show on a high. Hopefully they've been saving their resources towards that.

Comment

Skipped: Ambush, Patriot, Icarus
                        Hated: Harvest, Abandoned
                        Indifferent about: Shield, Supergirl, Isis
                        Liked: Lazarus
                        Loved: Luthor, Homecoming

Overall episodes missed Seasons 1 - 10: 130+
                        Overall feeling for this season: Good

^^Simple and easy :]

Comment

Originally posted by ClubXerxes
                          I love the fact that Lois is who she is in this show, but the fact that he needs her to elevate him to the next level is just - well it just doesn't sit well with me, and IMO, it has affected their dynamic.

I am getting really tired of that. First it was in supergirl, then homecoming in the barn, and I could remember a few other times as well. HE should be inspiring others not the other way around.

Comment

I think its been a solid first half to the season myself, there's been 1 or 2 iffy episodes but when its been good its been really good. I can't wait for Smallville's return. Must say though if Michael Rosenbaum doesn't return as Lex later in the season its gonna be very disapointing.

Comment

I'm enjoying this season so far, its a great change of pace and its more character driven which I enjoy because originally this show was based on that premise not the action. It's great to see how everything around Clark affects him as the man and superhero. I'm enjoying the maturity and more adult feel to this season, its like the earlier seasons with the freak of week stuff but now it involves things from the Superman lore.

Comment

Originally posted by McFly
                                Feel the way i did last year during Lost's final season.. Bored.. As if the writers are out on a senior skip day this whole season.. Covered [like someone said] by a cpl kisses and guest stars.. Is this all we get from the last season of a once brilliant show? No surprise the ratings spiked a bit for Lionel's return.. Funnest thing about that is a lot of ppl here panned that episode and said it was worse than "Isis" Really, really?
                                I stopped watching Lost in season 3 after they killed that blond woman. I thought to myself, "What's the point? They're going to kill everyone!" and guess what? They did.

At least with Smallville you know that the end will be a happy one!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎